Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #51

We love our 2012 X17Z and would definitely go the hybrid route again. The amount of inside space you get, along with a light towing weight is really the big seller for us. Also, we are in the group that truly enjoys that we are "camping", nothing beats the fresh air and the early morning outdoor sounds of nature.

We have camped in true downpours many times and have never had a leak issue, and as to bed making, we keep it simple and use queen size sleeping bags with blankets. It's simple, efficient, and again, more a camping experience.

We have had some noise issues, but in all but one case over the past three years it has been manageable by just running the fan to create white noise.

gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Red View Post
My wife also wasn't crazy about how easy it was to pull the canvas away from the frame at the edges. On our last trip with it, our 3 year old had snuggled against the far end of the bunk and pushed the snaps and Velcro apart while sleeping. We found her with one leg hanging out! That was the end of that camper for my wife.
With a new enough HTT, this shouldn't be an issue. Our 2011 doesn't use snaps & velcro; instead it's basically clamped between a metal trim piece that's screwed down. Not sure when Jayco switch over to the improved attachment method. But certainly something for the OP to look for if he's looking at used HTTs.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #53

Hi all! We were really interested in the 19h but then someone brought to my wife's attention that someone or something could nab the kiddos out of the tent end in a matter of seconds possibly without even being heard. So with that said I think we are leaning towards the x213 now..going to look this weekend.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #54

Breaking a glass window is faster and easier than cutting a tent end. It is heavy canvas, the undersides are secured to the doors now. There is an emergency exit zipper on the main window. We hear it open ever time we make the beds, yes I stand outside when we make the beds initially. The zippers are out of sight.

When at the dealer, look at them both and think about how you would steal a kid, without making noise and them not screaming. I worry more about big storms as I have been through way to many of them, then a child being snatched.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
Hi all! We were really interested in the 19h but then someone brought to my wife's attention that someone or something could nab the kiddos out of the tent end in a matter of seconds possibly without even being heard. So with that said I think we are leaning towards the x213 now..going to look this weekend.
Really? I'd suggest you forget the TT altogether and stay at home behind locked doors.

Seriously, it is far, far likelier that your kids would be killed in a car crash rather than abducted...
Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1300
Number of children killed each year by their family members and acquaintances: About 1000
Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
Number of children killed by their abductor: About 50.
Crime Statistics | Free Range Kids

Kids are safer today than we were. I urge you to spend some time on the site above.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #56
Site Team

It's like the statistics of winning the Powerball are not as likely as you are to be struck by lightning while drowning.

Family camping is not as dangerous as you think.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #57

I hear ya! That's what I told the wife. I'm not worried about it I like the hybrids so I guess I will have visit the dealer and see which one is best for our needs. FYI we've both been tent camping for the last 15-20 years, that's why I like the idea of the hybrids.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
I'm betting that came from someone who either never camps or has never once tented or used a pop-up camper. We've been sleeping under canvas for 31 years. During that time we had a tent, a pop-up, and 2 hybrids. Never once a problem and never have I heard of anyone taking a kid from a trailer.

And you've been tent camping? Not sure why a hybrid is different then...

The reality is that if your wife is uncomfortable then you have to do what you are both comfortable with.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #59
Site Team

If Momma's not happy......

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Really? I'd suggest you forget the TT altogether and stay at home behind locked doors.

Seriously, it is far, far likelier that your kids would be killed in a car crash rather than abducted...
Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1300
Number of children killed each year by their family members and acquaintances: About 1000
Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
Number of children killed by their abductor: About 50.
Crime Statistics | Free Range Kids

Kids are safer today than we were. I urge you to spend some time on the site above.
Insert the word "flying" here!

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote