Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
In some cases (like in my rig), the external water connection is at the left rear, but the water tank is right behind the driver's seat. Then the water pump is in the far rear of the rig, and it pulls water from the front tank.

So, I could have 15 feet (or more) of water lines between those two points. How do you keep that line from freezing? Push AF to the water tank and have the pump suck it back?
I'm not sure about his rig, but on my TT, the city water connection does not connect to the freshwater tank, and can't be used to fill the freshwater tank, so that might be the case with the OP's also.

That said, I don't recall if we mentioned this part, but he also needs to get antifreeze up in the city water connection line by removing the cap on that connection, pulling out the little wire-screen cone shaped filter that has a rubber gasket base to it, and then, with the water pump and lines pressurized with antifreeze in them, simply press in on the check valve in the city water connection hole (a little finger works in most cases) so that some pink antifreeze comes spurting out (might want to keep a small bucket handy to catch the antifreeze). In my case, I do this right after I get some antifreeze coming out of the outside shower faucets as it's right next to those. Hope that makes sense.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
In some cases (like in my rig), the external water connection is at the left rear, but the water tank is right behind the driver's seat. Then the water pump is in the far rear of the rig, and it pulls water from the front tank.

So, I could have 15 feet (or more) of water lines between those two points. How do you keep that line from freezing? Push AF to the water tank and have the pump suck it back?
Ok, I think I’m tracking now. Do you have a gravity fill for your water tank, or does your tank fill via the city water connection only?

My water pump is more or less right above my fresh water tank, and the tank has a low point drain on it. I fill the water tank via a gravity fill opening. I don’t believe my water tank gets any water when I’m hooked to the city water connection.

For your application, I would try blowing out the water lines with an air compressor and the air fitting that attaches to your city water attachment. Or, like you mentioned, add AF to your tank and run through your system via the pump.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
I'm not sure about his rig, but on my TT, the city water connection does not connect to the freshwater tank, and can't be used to fill the freshwater tank, so that might be the case with the OP's also.

That said, I don't recall if we mentioned this part, but he also needs to get antifreeze up in the city water connection line by removing the cap on that connection, pulling out the little wire-screen cone shaped filter that has a rubber gasket base to it, and then, with the water pump and lines pressurized with antifreeze in them, simply press in on the check valve in the city water connection hole (a little finger works in most cases) so that some pink antifreeze comes spurting out (might want to keep a small bucket handy to catch the antifreeze). In my case, I do this right after I get some antifreeze coming out of the outside shower faucets as it's right next to those. Hope that makes sense.
Thank you for the info on the city water connection. I wasn’t aware that I had to put antifreeze into the city water line. I figured opening the low point drains and all the faucets would drain all the water out of the system. I never added antifreeze to my previous rv, and was fortunate to not have any problems. I will pump some AF into the city water line this weekend as an added precaution.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
Ok, I think I’m tracking now. Do you have a gravity fill for your water tank, or does your tank fill via the city water connection only?

I have only one connection, and flip valves on the control panel depending where water is coming from. So to fill my tank, I flip it to "City Fill" from the incoming water supply, and it sends water to fill the tank. When I want to run off of the pump/tank, I flip the valves to "Normal". There's no gravity fill.

I haven't been under the rig to see if it's just one line that goes back and forth, or two, but it's definitely a distance from the pump/incoming line to the tank. Not sure if the water control panel just diverts forward and back or what it does.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Thank you for the info on the city water connection. I wasn’t aware that I had to put antifreeze into the city water line. I figured opening the low point drains and all the faucets would drain all the water out of the system. I never added antifreeze to my previous rv, and was fortunate to not have any problems. I will pump some AF into the city water line this weekend as an added precaution.
Apologies for not mentioning this earlier.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #26

This is what we do, pump in some anti freeze..
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #27

Here is my go to video on winterizing. I just got the pink stuff and need to do that then get the awning retracted when it stop raining. I cleaned it and have not seen the sun since. Need two good sun days.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
After I emptied both the grey and black, I put some antifreeze down there through the sinks / toilet. You could just dump some down the toilet to get it into the black tank.

Not really sure if you need to or not, but anti-freeze is cheap enough!
Same here. I figure the black tank flush drains itself into the tank so there is no water to freeze in the flush plumbing.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark of insanity View Post
Here is my go to video on winterizing. I just got the pink stuff and need to do that then get the awning retracted when it stop raining. I cleaned it and have not seen the sun since. Need two good sun days.
Yeah... sigh
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #30

Quote:
I have been a Jayco owner since 2009, and have done my own winterizing on my previous camper (26BH) and have not had any issues (knock on wood). I began winterizing my 2018 Jay Feather X23E yesterday, and decided to check the manual to make sure there was nothing I missed.

The manual has a section about winterizing the "macerator." Please forgive my ignorance, but is the "black tank flush" considered a macerator? I thought a macerator was a rotating, bladed contraption that helped make solid waste smaller. As far as I can tell, my camper does not have a macerator, but does have a black tank flush.

Do I need to add RV/Marine antifreeze to the black tank flush? Figuring I'll have to sacrifice a hose if I do. Thought I check with the forum beforehand.

Thanks in advance for assistance and advice.
We are new owners (as of last week!) of a new Jayco fifth wheel. It came equipped with the Sanicon waste system—the macerator! Never had one before and haven’t used this one yet. I figure its sort of like a disposal for waste. We always put some antifreeze in the black and gray tanks (on our last travel trailer) but not sure about the Sanicon system. Will do a little reading up on that and add a post if I find anything.
RickandBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
We are new owners (as of last week!) of a new Jayco fifth wheel. It came equipped with the Sanicon waste system—the macerator! Never had one before and haven’t used this one yet. I figure its sort of like a disposal for waste. We always put some antifreeze in the black and gray tanks (on our last travel trailer) but not sure about the Sanicon system. Will do a little reading up on that and add a post if I find anything.
Here's a recent thread on winterizing a Sanicon system. You can use the Search feature here, and probably find more of them.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post794807

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
This is the procedure from Thetford to winterize the SaniCon system
Here it is
It’s also on the SaniCon Door
Attached Thumbnails
A2410AB0-8765-434D-8B4D-E14285196A3E.jpg  

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #33

We have very few below freezing days in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, so I just blow out all the water, with compressor, and add antifreeze down the sinks and black n gray tanks. I do not run bypass for my hot water tank. Have had no issues.
rdcox is offline   Reply With Quote