Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
Busted water line behind residential fridge.

Anyone have this happen on one of the fifth wheels without the exterior fridge door? I can camp without water to the fridge just fine, but I need to get it fixed. I know an appliance guy can fix it, but I donít think you can pull the fridge out far enough to get back there. So wondering what youíve done or heard of being done.

Thankfully I already had the cabinets open where the valves are and shut it down quick. Well at least as soon as I heard water coming out of the bottom of the slide. Thankfully the dealer didnít seal up the hole around the big fridge water line that was recently replaced, and most of it exited there.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Anyone have this happen on one of the fifth wheels without the exterior fridge door? I can camp without water to the fridge just fine, but I need to get it fixed. I know an appliance guy can fix it, but I donít think you can pull the fridge out far enough to get back there. So wondering what youíve done or heard of being done.

Thankfully I already had the cabinets open where the valves are and shut it down quick. Well at least as soon as I heard water coming out of the bottom of the slide. Thankfully the dealer didnít seal up the hole around the big fridge water line that was recently replaced, and most of it exited there.
A couple 2x4"s and a piece of plywood to make an extension of the slide floor and pull the fridge out onto it.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Palmetto Bay
Posts: 26
Just had the same problem, over the winter the water inlet valve on the whirlpool fridge cracked when it froze. I could not get it out far enough to get behind it, even with the 2x4's and plywood. I wound up tilting it over until it was against the center island, padded with a couple of towels to prevent damage to the front. With a helper I was able to put a ladder over the top and behind it - I then stood on the adjacent counter top and crawled through the available space, stepping onto the ladder. And then was able to kneel down and change out the valve.

You might be be able to get it out by taking the doors off the fridge, I did not try that approach.
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
And there I was bragging I made it through the Texas deep freeze unscathedÖ..

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
I donít think I can tilt mine without hitting the area above it. I may call an RV shop this week and see what they think. If itís a slide removal type thing, bottled water and bagged ice going forward is just fine. Not because of cost, but I fear that slide would never be right again. Itís a little sketchy as is.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I donít think I can tilt mine without hitting the area above it. I may call an RV shop this week and see what they think. If itís a slide removal type thing, bottled water and bagged ice going forward is just fine. Not because of cost, but I fear that slide would never be right again. Itís a little sketchy as is.
The fridge should come out with the doors off. A tape measure will tell you real quick.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Way down here........FL
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A couple 2x4"s and a piece of plywood to make an extension of the slide floor and pull the fridge out onto it.

X2
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Way down here........FL
Posts: 2,056
You may want to use a braided water line when you repair it.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Palmetto Bay
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
You may want to use a braided water line when you repair it.
A braided water line is a good idea, but won't help if the inlet valve freezes and breaks.
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
Is the inlet valve pretty self explanatory once youíre back there? I canít find a photo anywhere of the backside of the fridge.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Palmetto Bay
Posts: 26
Pretty simple, Two screws hold it to the frame of the fridge, you cut the water line off close and the new one has a shark bite-type fitting that you push the water line into. And a two-wire plug that goes from the old to the new. I'm assuming you have a whirlpool residential, although they are all probably similar.

I got a new one made by RobertShaw on Amazon for $29.27.
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Is the inlet valve pretty self explanatory once youíre back there? I canít find a photo anywhere of the backside of the fridge.
This is from Frigidaire, but they are all very similar.
Attached Images
 
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
Thanks. Give me a sterling point on what to look for when I tackle this.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Palmetto Bay
Posts: 26
See how the one in Grumpy's photo is made out of plastic? On mine, that blue plastic broke into 3 or 4 pieces when it froze.
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #15
Member
 
drwnkw67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 60
Well it is good to see that I am not the only one who did not winterize the water system completely. I was able to pull the fridge out enough that I could squeeze behind it and replace the valve. You can be that at end of this year I will run the pink stuff all the way to and through the ice maker and have pink ice next spring!!
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Palmetto Bay
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnkw67 View Post
Well it is good to see that I am not the only one who did not winterize the water system completely. I was able to pull the fridge out enough that I could squeeze behind it and replace the valve. You can be that at end of this year I will run the pink stuff all the way to and through the ice maker and have pink ice next spring!!
That's what I am thinking...but can you take the filter out of the fridge without interupting the water to the icemaker (so you don't have to replace the filter)?
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:18 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
True statement. Saves a little. I actually ran without mine at times because even with a new filter the flow was excruciatingly slow.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 16
When I winterize our residential frig with ice maker and in door dispenser I make pink ice and run antifreeze through the water dispenser, that’s what the Jayco dealer told me to do.
thelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:18 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
Iím the future I will be doing just that. Good advice.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: fishers
Posts: 33
I just tried to turn on my water to the Whirlpool fridge for the first time, and had a bunch of water run out from the back...

Looks like I have the same problem. Will build a platform when Iím back from a trip and get the correct replacement part. Guess I will see what I have back there before I order anything.

Bummer, but glad this post was here!
apgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.