Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2023, 01:32 AM   #1

Door issues 2022 jay flight 184BS

Bought a never used 2022 184BS. Problem is door (friction hinge) has been awful to close since I bought it. In fact all 3 hinges have cracks. I plan on replacing the hinges with non friction.
My main question is about the screen door. It stops closing about 3 inches from the frame when the hinge hits the frame. I then have to force it shut. The main door won’t stay latched unless I lock it. Is this normal with the screen door?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1876.jpg   IMG_1877.jpg  
dkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:07 AM   #2

We just bought a 2023 184BS last week and took it out this past weekend. We had problems with the door latching as well. It takes a bunch of force to close it when the stairs are down. It still takes a bit without them down. The screen door closes fine, it’s just the main door that has the issue.

My 9yr old thought we locked her in the camper because it takes quite a bit of muscle to open the door latch because there is so much pressure against it. My wife was unable to close it from the inside.

It was a bit stiff when we were looking at it and packing it up to leave but appears to have gotten worse pretty quick.

Looks like we are in a similar situation here. Anyone know if this is a Jayco warranty deal?
SpoonyForky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyForky View Post
We just bought a 2023 184BS last week and took it out this past weekend. We had problems with the door latching as well. It takes a bunch of force to close it when the stairs are down. It still takes a bit without them down. The screen door closes fine, it’s just the main door that has the issue.

My 9yr old thought we locked her in the camper because it takes quite a bit of muscle to open the door latch because there is so much pressure against it. My wife was unable to close it from the inside.

It was a bit stiff when we were looking at it and packing it up to leave but appears to have gotten worse pretty quick.

Looks like we are in a similar situation here. Anyone know if this is a Jayco warranty deal?
Sounds like the same issue my 23 27bhb has. I haven't contacted the dealer yet as I am camping pretty constantly through mid August. Let me know your outcome please.
kevine1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:23 PM   #4

Have you tried adjusting the length of the stair legs? Ours does this when the leg height needs to be adjusted; if the incline is too steep, the top plate of the step assembly rubs against the bottom of the door.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #5

Also, make sure the trailer is level. The steps get "wonked" when it's not level. A little out of level for roof drainage is okay, but if it's too far off level, the steps will "torque" a bit. When that happens, the step assembly threshold plate lifts a bit and interferes with the door 's ability to open and close freely.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
Also, make sure the trailer is level. The steps get "wonked" when it's not level. A little out of level for roof drainage is okay, but if it's too far off level, the steps will "torque" a bit. When that happens, the step assembly threshold plate lifts a bit and interferes with the door 's ability to open and close freely.
Thanks for this information. We did level the trailer the best we could on our trip. It that doesn’t mean it wasn’t perfect, so this could be part of the issue. We are taking it in Tuesday since the salesman stated that this has happened to other trailers previously. The door was tough to close the day that they showed it to us as well, so there may be more to it.

Really appreciate the information, that’s helpful.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine1979 View Post
Sounds like the same issue my 23 27bhb has. I haven't contacted the dealer yet as I am camping pretty constantly through mid August. Let me know your outcome please.
Check out @gunafulltime reply. The dealer is going to look at mine Tuesday.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:56 AM   #8

Please forgive me.
I responded to your door operation issue incorrectly. I made the assumption that you have the MoRryde Step Above product. I did not look carefully at your picture; it shows that you have a standard undermount step.
My apologies, gentlemen.