Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

Expanding foam

I'm looking at plugging some holes in the bottom of my trailer. The factory cut holes in the coroplast to run low point drain lines down thru, electrical wiring for brakes, etc. And I want to fill those in better and fill in some other holes.

I had a red squirrel get into the front storage area and chew up some wires and make a nest. It was climbing up the landing gear and thru the hole. I'm looking at using that Great Stuff Black expanding foam. I've used the cream colored stuff they make for around the house inside and outside and that worked and has held up really well. I want to use the black so it will blend in.

Anybody use that or what have you used?
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

I have used LOCTITE expanding foam but I first put down metal rodent screen to prevent them from chewing and getting in
Attached Thumbnails
20170924_195427.jpg   20170924_195434.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

Oh, that's a GREAT idea! I love that! I just so happen to have some metal screen like that around here somewhere too. Now I just gotta find it. Lol!
I forgot Loctite makes expanding foam. My dad told me about that a few years ago and said the Loctite seems to expand more that the GS brand.

THANKS!!!
Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #4

Lots of people use spray foam on the bottoms of their campers to plug all those small holes, usually to keep the mice out.

Personally I do not like spray foam. Most spray foams absorb water. If I was going to use any, I would look at the stuff designed for ponds. I suspect it is better around water.

Hardware cloth will do a lot. FYI, once a squirrel (grey) gets in and makes a nest, he will want back in, and will chew to get back in. Not sure about red squirrels.

One more thing to think about. Your propane tanks are probably up in that area. Propane is heavier than air, and if you get a leak, you need a low point for the gas to escape.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

The other item people use is steel or copper wool mixed with caulk. The caulk won't expand and the wire mesh the caulk mixes with creates a deterrent to the chewing critters.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #6

Try this foam...I know it's not black, but I didn't check to see if it comes in other colors.

https://www.amazon.com/GREAT-STUFF-P...s%2C197&sr=8-3
Old 04-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #7

I saw the pond spray foam and that is definitely made for water and it comes in black.
I got fox, grey, and black squirrels here and have never had an issue with them. They stay in the back yard and the woods. The reds and chipmunks I've caught around the front of the house, running across and inside the garage and my trailer is parked right along side of the house/garage and the front gear is right in line with the front of the garage. The nest was really new but seemed like it was still in the building stages. I set a rat trap in there anchored off with some wax string so they cant run away with it if they tried. I haven't got anything and I probably won't. I have a feeling i already took care of the offender. A few days earlier i gave a dose of lead to #18 in less than 6 day. So i have to believe the offender was one of the 18. Lol!it seems like I got the herd thinned down quite a lot because now I only see 1 about every couple days. I leave alone the fox, grey and black squirrels. I just dont have issues with them, but when I start, they have some lead introduced to them as well.
Good point on the LP. Both my tanks are on the left side and the critter is coming up the right jack. I think I'm gonna try Kahoneys idea of the wire around the jacks first and foam in the rest of the holes in and around the coroplast. I'll take a look see around the bottom area of the LP tanks and keep ventilation in that area. I might throw a layer of steel wool with a chalk mixture in it on top of the screen.
Thanks everyone for the ideas!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
... I might throw a layer of steel wool with a chalk mixture in it on top of the screen.
Thanks everyone for the ideas!
Oops! I couldn't edit my post (#5 above) but it should have said CAULK and not CHALK. Maybe chalk would work if the critter wanted to taunt you with a written message before he tattered the place.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

I have used strips of aluminum screen wire poked into the holes held in place with silicone caulk. For bigger holes I partially fill with screen wire and then foam it in place. Last step before it gets set up is to push a pre-cut piece into the foam as it stiffens. My LP pipe is below the plastic underbelly and then goes straight up so I have never worried about it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Oops! I couldn't edit my post (#5 above) but it should have said CAULK and not CHALK. Maybe chalk would work if the critter wanted to taunt you with a written message before he tattered the place.
Lol, I saw it written as chalk twice, figured it had to be correct. But I just could not figure out how to get a big piece, thento fit it. On top of that how water would not erode it away.

I hate autocorrect

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Team

They make foam with rodent repellant. Not sure about black.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
I was seriously sitting there thinking “how the heck does he use chalk, mix the chalk into a plaster and make it stick?”
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Taken care of for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Taken care of for you.
Thanks JFR. I think I was past the set time to be able to edit it once I noticed it on the Tapatalk app I was using at the time. Either way, now I'm back to having some appearance of intelligence thanks to you, even if only in my own mind.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Site Team

No problem, and you're very welcome!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Pond foam

I have found that stainless steel wool then black pond spray foam to be very effective in blocking rodent holes in both house and camper. They will go through plain foam like butter.
nickbnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #17

Great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Lots of people use spray foam on the bottoms of their campers to plug all those small holes, usually to keep the mice out.

Personally I do not like spray foam. Most spray foams absorb water. If I was going to use any, I would look at the stuff designed for ponds. I suspect it is better around water.

Hardware cloth will do a lot. FYI, once a squirrel (grey) gets in and makes a nest, he will want back in, and will chew to get back in. Not sure about red squirrels.

One more thing to think about. Your propane tanks are probably up in that area. Propane is heavier than air, and if you get a leak, you need a low point for the gas to escape.
Great stuff makes a waterproof type made for ponds, that should work great under the trailer. They make a black that is water resistant that can't be in contact with water all the time but can have water spray on it.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #18

Put some copper mesh in first, then foam.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #19

Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
Put some copper mesh in first, then foam.
Makes sense to put som metal up there. I can't believe the space around the legs in the photo in that other post. how can an rv company do such shoddy work. I guess they figure that no one would notice the two families of racoons living in there
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #20

I’m hunting a mouse now. Got 1 with a snap trap baited with peanut butter in the kitchen sink. He came in by the spray hose. Re-baited but the next one was smarter. Snapped the trap then ate the P-Butter. Re-baited and now the trap is moved but not snapped. Maybe this time.
I am going to block the gaps around the landing legs with screen. Next I need to move the camper so I can open the slide. I’m pretty sure the rascals are getting in through the water tank gap in the floor. I will cover that with screen and foam. Can’t complain. Had the camper since ‘07 and this is the first moose problem (that I know about).
There is no food inside the camper so they must be going for take-out.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote