Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

No running H2O, after nearly a month 'in service'

Picked up our new 2017 Greyhawk 29ME just before Christmas. Took it out in Jan for a cool weekend camping at Dinosaur Valley near Glen Rose, Texas and then dropped it off at our dealer in Ft. Worth for several annoying but mostly cosmetic issues.

One of them was an intermittent issue with the Country Fill setting or the Winterization setting on the water pump. Sometimes the pump would pull anti-freeze in and sometimes it would just stop. This was all back in late Dec when we had below freezing temps for a few days and I was trying to make sure we had some protection.

The dealer had our coach for just over 3 weeks and when we picked it up, they had 'fixed' all the small items. The service guy advised his tech has 'reversed' the screen on the connection and it pumped (or sucked up water) just fine.

Imagine my surprise when we hooked up this weekend and had no water at all, other than what was left in the tank, which was about 1-2 minutes worth.

No setting brought water into the unit. City Fill, City Fixtures, Country Fill, etc. You could hear the pump working and when changing settings it would seem to 'whoosh' with some water, but no steady stream of water from any faucet inside. Yes, there was water at the spigot. I had to fill pots directly to get water for cooking.

I called and the same service guy suggested I try removing the pressure regulator and the small screen and washer in the connection. First off, you cannot reverse that screen, it will not fit and when it is removed, the host will not connect closely enough and you get spray from the connection to the water panel.

Any suggestions? We are dropping it off again tomorrow for likely another 3 week wait. This is pretty frustrating to say the least.

Thanks
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

Perhaps the handle on one of the valves came loose. It should be attached to the shaft of the valve with some kind of set screw. You can tell if it's loose if you can turn it further than the valve settings.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Perhaps the handle on one of the valves came loose. It should be attached to the shaft of the valve with some kind of set screw. You can tell if it's loose if you can turn it further than the valve settings.
Really not sure where or to what you are referring? Sorry.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

The first thing I would check it to be sure that if the unit has a filter in line that this is not shut off, on some rigs there are two valves so you can isolate the filter and change it out. This is only used for city water supply. If the valves are open or non existent then open the low point drains, turn on the water supply and turn the various settings on the water control center. see if you can at least get some solution into the supply lines, Not sure exactly the layout of the control valves.

I had situation where my water pump was airbound and i could not get it to pump so i hooked up city water and turned the valves to force water into and through the pump, once this was accomplished the unit worked fine. Normally the water tanks on these units are lower than the pump and if they become air bound it can be difficult to pull the water through as the pumps are not great at moving air. Probably not your issue but worth thinking about.

Good luck and post your results to help nail the issue down.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

I'm guessing he's referring to the black-handle control valves. Here's a picture of them on our unit.

I think we brought this up before and you said the valves feel like they have the right resistance and are working.
Attached Thumbnails
valves.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post

Imagine my surprise when we hooked up this weekend and had no water at all, other than what was left in the tank, which was about 1-2 minutes worth.

No setting brought water into the unit. City Fill, City Fixtures, Country Fill, etc.
I'm a bit sleep deprived but let's see if we can outline where we're at.

#1 : Valves on Normal: Water is pumped successfully from tank. Ok - pump works, plumbing works.

#2 : Valves on City Fill: Pump should be off. No water flows into the big tank? Then how did you get #1 to work? How did water get into the tank for those 1-2 minutes?

Note I do not have to reverse the screen for City Fill. There's usually enough pressure to open check-valve.

#3: Valves on City Fixtures : Pump again is off. If the outside spigot is on, and there's no water to the fixtures, then I like the suggestion about checking the water filter. Our filter has valves

#4: Valves on Country Fill: I do have to reverse the screen and I raise the jug up so the pump doesn't have to work so hard. Pump on.

After all that it sure sounds like it could be the valves on the water filter. Or something around that. #2, 3, and 4 all require the water to flow thru the filter. #1 doesn't.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Interesting points. Since this has all worked before I dropped it off, not sure if the dealer did something and forgot to reverse.

I will say, I changed water filters after I first tried to winterize, since I forgot to remove it and ruined the stock one from Jayco! Ordered two different replacements, both same size but different brands. Since we took it out for our first trip in Jan, after I had flushed the system and then replaced the filter, I don't think it was valves.

The black valves on the unit itself do seem to be operating as I expected, since on some settings, I can hear (feel) the water seem to enter the system through the hose. But we don't end up either filling the fresh tank or getting flowing water from in house.

When we returned yesterday from our second trip, I filled a water jug and tried the Country Fill setting, which the dealer assured me had been "tested' if not fixed and nothing. No suction at all, no matter where I held the water jug, with or without a faucet being opened in in house.

I wonder if the filter I ordered online (Amazon) could be clogged? Not sure how but that is the only thing I can think of. Either way, I am still dropping it off for the dealer to explain how they could have tested this and two days later, we were unable to get running water. Luckily, we were directly across from a state park bathroom.

One thing, I have learned how to do my dishes in a park bathroom sink!

Thanks all, will report whatever happens.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--