Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #1

Qualifications for RV Service Jobs

I'm trying to understand the labor shortage end of the RV service bottleneck. I know there is also a part shortage.

It seems my local shop hires anyone with a pulse and trains them. They all seem to be "multitalented" in everything from HVAC to carpentry. That is until a problem becomes too difficult, then an expert appears. But the expert seems to be someone with six months more experience.

I never paid attention before but is this how it's always been?
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I'm trying to understand the labor shortage end of the RV service bottleneck. I know there is also a part shortage.

It seems my local shop hires anyone with a pulse and trains them. They all seem to be "multitalented" in everything from HVAC to carpentry. That is until a problem becomes too difficult, then an expert appears. But the expert seems to be someone with six months more experience.

I never paid attention before but is this how it's always been?
... agree with you 100%. Good question.

I think it's always been "somewhat like that", but the growth in the industry made it impossible for the dealers to keep up. The new hires then had more going for them than the new hires now. In addition, the quality of the product leaving the factory has declined. A lose-lose situation for the consumer.

There could be many threads generated from your question; the ones I would start are inapppropriate for this forum.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:15 AM   #3

Always been that way. Dealers have always had a problem with training folks and then 6 months later the person jumps ship for a couple Pennie’s at a competitor.

Manufacturers also have the same issue.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #4

Do techs need to be certified by the RVIA? I feel like I see certificates for the techs hanging on the wall at the service department of my local dealership.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Do techs need to be certified by the RVIA? I feel like I see certificates for the techs hanging on the wall at the service department of my local dealership.
No techs do not have to be certified by RVIA. the ones that are usually make a penny or two more per hour.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No techs do not have to be certified by RVIA. the ones that are usually make a penny or two more per hour.
Good to know. Thanks.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #7

The shortage of techs goes back at least 20 years.

After 34 years at the Seattle newspapers, I was able to retire at age 51. Loved my job but after working 15 years on days and then having to go back to work at midnight at age 49, couldn't swing it.

To the point; my intention was to take an RVIA approved RV Technician class at a local community college to learn how to fix 'em. Shortly before I was to enroll, I was at the Seattle RV show talking to the show manager (bought our first trailer from his family RV stove back in the 1980s) and he introduced me to a fella he was chatting with and I recognized his name as the instructor at the community college.

When I asked him about signing up, he said the class was no longer offered. I asked why and he stated that as soon as a class started, within days, RV dealers were grabbing the students out of the class offering them jobs and on the job training. Hard to teach a class without students.

After searching other options, about the only one was to go to Camping World school in Bowling Green Kentucky for a minimum of nine weeks and then commit to working at a Camping World store for a period of time in return for the training.

Hmmmm....

After a lot of thought, no thanks CW.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #8

This is just my observation of the new RV techs. Your observations may vary.
Must be able to stand erect and breath on your own, your hired.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #9

I wear the shirt "I am the Warranty"
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:16 PM   #10

RV Service Center Application for employment,
Question #5: Have you ever been convicted of a felony? If NO, please explain.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

I think you only need to meet ONE of the two qualifiers to actually qualify ;-)
LOWCO508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #12

I was in the boat service business for over 40 years and it is the same there. It has steadily gotten worse through the years. People that want to work and are able to learn can go to a school and exit with an ASC certification to work on cars that actually means something to dealers. They at least know there is a minimum level of competency and they are willing to pay for it. The marine and RV industry don't have that kind of nationally accepted program. As such those that want to work in mechanical trades and not get a certificate end up there. Many are not knowledgeable and dealers pay them as little as possible. The old saying "you get what you pay for" is the truth. Another issue are the mega dealerships that sell both products. They are run by sales managers who know very little about service and care even less about it. They are totally profit driven and they believe service is a cost center and not a profit one. It doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. Customer satisfaction has become a thing of the past.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #13

��
Old 02-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #14

In the early 70’s Sacramento Ca. and a couple of surrounding towns had a large mobile home industry. Just out of high school I worked for 3 or 4 of these operations. The employees of these company’s fit three different classifications. (1) kids like me that really didn’t have a clue (2) middle age alcoholics (3) ex-cons. The ex-cons seemed to be the most responsible of the bunch. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if it’s not the same in RV industry now.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #15

On qualified RV techs and training

While finding qualified labor is certainly a challenge today more than ever, there ARE in fact RV tech training programs that dealers and manufacturers can engage with to help develop their teams. The RV Industry Association (RVIA) has long seen the lack of qualified technicians as a deterrent to purchasing an RV and a frustration for those seeking service for their RVs. In an effort to bridge the gap, they have created the RV Technical Institute. Based in Elkhart, this group offers in person and online training. here is some recent information about their classes. This, of course, is only helpful if dealers and manufacturers seek to invest accordingly. Many have spun out of the manufacturing side of things and opened their own service/repair facilities but they still cannot keep up with today's demand.

More information on the Tech Institute here
CarolTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #16

Our neighbors at Koa had the water heater catch on fire during the night in their Brand NEW motorhome. Luckily the wife woke up smelling smoke and they were able to put it out before it ignited the bedroom.
Are we really trusting novices to install Propane and Electric . Does our life depend on them ? Homes have inspectors, why not Motor Homes ?
Old 02-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #17

It has pretty much always been that way. Really good service techs are rare in moost any industry.
Garry Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
Our neighbors at Koa had the water heater catch on fire during the night in their Brand NEW motorhome. Luckily the wife woke up smelling smoke and they were able to put it out before it ignited the bedroom.
Are we really trusting novices to install Propane and Electric . Does our life depend on them ? Homes have inspectors, why not Motor Homes ?
Sadly home inspectors don't do much good either. Good ones are rare..
Garry Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #19

One of the best things that happened to my trailer is that it ran out of warranty. I try to do everything I can myself. There is an excellent trailer supply shop in town that knows every aspect of RVs and well-qualified mechanics at service centers who can service them. And one of the trailer shop employees works on some trailer issues. They are my go-to source for parts, advice, and service suggestions and so far this has worked very well.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
FWIW, I owned a residential HVAC business for over 30 years and recently retired. I've worked most of my adult life in construction primarily single family homes. One thing I can state without equivocation is the vast majority of home building inspectors MIGHT be reasonably qualified carpenters, but know next to nothing about mechanical systems ie gas, electric, domestic water and sewage. We've been called numerous times to do an annual maintenance on a furnace or boiler that had extensive code violations or even failed heat exchangers you could put your hand into.

I'm primarily referring to the home inspectors you might hire when purchasing a home, but to be frank, the code enforcement officers are only marginally better.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote