Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

rain proof before trip

Last week we traveled up to mount airy. The forcast called for rain everyday. So for 3 days before leaving I went to rain proofing the rig. Underneath on the sheet metal wheel wells I put gorilla waterproof rubber tape over all the Staples holding the sheet metal to the floor. On the ones I didn't have the tape for I put rv flex caulk over the sealed the entire edge of the sheetmetal. I had to tighten all the floor to frame bolts as they were ALL loose. One bolt completely missed the outriggor. How? So I put a large washer and a goop of caulk on the bolt coming through the wood floor. One sheetmetal wheelwell was about 6" off from the other side so I made an extension and attached it over the outrigger to the sagging sheetmetal wheel well. Next I caulked every horizontal seam on the front wall with the RV flex caulk. Then caulked on top of every window and in any place on the sides of windows and doors that had a gap.

We drove 100 miles in pooring rain going 60-65 mph. Once we got to the campground Andy opened up there was not a drop of water anywhere to be found. I was shocked. But it couldn't be a problem free trip oh no. Found out the refrigerator will not work and the water heater is not heating on AC power. Always an issue!
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG1828.jpg   KIMG1836.jpg   KIMG1832.jpg   KIMG1822.jpg   KIMG1819.jpg  

Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

Nice job with tape!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

Thanks, that was really hard , once it sticks it doesn't come back off. Trying to get it straight was a pain but it turned out okay. I feel better about it now. Gorilla tape is half the cost of flex seal tape, 4"x 10'L roll. I thought about about the spray on flex seal but decided against it.
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #4

I have tried the flex spray stuff on a couple projects. Lasts for a few months and then it flakes off. It’s worthless for anything long term even if you top coat it.