Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Sanitizing fresh water tank

I have read many threads about sanitizing. I have a new to me Jay Flight fb22 that I am sanitizing for first time. This is this is my first rv. Question is with the small drain valve how long does it take to drain? Does anyone drain it into the grey and black tanks instead of the valve? Not sure sure i sbould drain on the street. I believe their age 2 45 gallon fresh water tanks.

Thanks Lou
loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I just did my coach yesterday. To drain the water tank, I opened the black valve, which takes a while. I also left the water pump turned on, and opened the low point drains on hot/cold. This pumped out the tank a lot faster.

Also, draining the bleach solution on the street should be a non issue. It's not that strong of a mixture, plus when you flush the system out with fresh water, any laying on the street will be diluted even more.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #3

The gravity drains are painfully slow. I open the faucets and pump the water from the FW tanks and empty them into the grey. I usually reserve a full hook up site at the beginning of the season just to sanitize.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loum35 View Post
Not sure sure i sbould drain on the street. I believe their age 2 45 gallon fresh water tanks.

Thanks Lou
Just finishing up mine today.
I drain the water bleach mixture into the street.
It's 3/4 cup of bleach in 35 gallons.
It'll be ok!
Old 04-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Mine is cooking right now with two cups of bleach to about 50 gallons of water. A little on the high side per the ratios I have listed below but I'm ok with that. My Jayco manual calls for a 1/4 cup of bleach to 15 gallons of water for a 50ppm concentration and a 1/2 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water for a 100ppm concentration.

They also say to never put bleach directly into to tank (dilute with a gallon of water) and use the 100ppm for a quicker sanitation process. It also mentions to drive it around to shake up the mix a bit in the holding tank.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

Also, draining the bleach solution on the street should be a non issue. It's not that strong of a mixture, plus when you flush the system out with fresh water, any laying on the street will be diluted even more.

You might want to check that with your local authority. They might be concerned about what goes into the storm drains. Around here, surface water goes straight out into the Gulf, and we have enough problems already with run-off.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #7

When I sanitize I usually plan to do it in the morning, fill the tank til it overflows, run the faucets and toilet til I smell bleach and let it sit all day. Then I open the low point drain in the evening and let it drain all night, it only takes about an hour or so to drain. Then I repeat the next day to flush with fresh water but drain as soon as it is full and I have run the faucets and toilet to clear bleach from previous day. It's really mild and won't hurt storm drains. I usually have plenty to do on the coach when all this is happening.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote