Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Slide-out suddenly inoperable

My one slide-out inoperative! Just got TT back from full replacement awning with upgrades of “smart arms” and ‘wind-sensor’ auto-retract. (5 months awaiting parts. Whew!). Gotta believe inoperative slide-out is related to repair of awning. Dealer/service departments computer has been down nearly 1 week. No tripped circuit breakers. No burned out fuses. All other electrical functions including furnace & refrigerator working normally. It was suggested there could be in-line fuse near slides’ motor. Unsure ‘where’ to find it (bottom floor is wrapped). Unsure how to manually crank-out the slide. Seek words of wisdom. We’re planning to depart for 3 week trip soon. Help please!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0528.jpg   IMG_0529_A.jpg  
Old 02-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

Do you know what brand slide out it is?
Follow your positive cable from the battery and see where it goes. Probably a resettable breaker under the trailer by the tongue. Sometimes they don’t make them easy to get to.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:23 PM   #3

Some suggestions that may help you out:

1.)Refer to your owners manual. Sometimes there are troubleshooting guides there.

2.)Google it. Chances are it's out there. Probably lots of utube hits.

3.)Call the manufacturer's help line.

Good luck!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #4

While this covers a wide range of slides, it is probably the best source. Once you have identified the model you will have access to all the manuals. Also I have found Lippert techs friendly and helpful.

"Slide-Outs | Lippert Customer Support" https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs/
Jim Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #5

No in-line fuse nor reset Relay found

The "Major Component Data Sheet" does not identify mfr of slide-out (nor power awning either). Go figure, eh? My best guess is "Lippert". A search of positive battery cable for a fuse &/or re-setable relay unproductive. I found a junction box, two 2-post terminals and a 30amp (green) fuse in negative line that visually looks good. [I'll post a photo]. Truth be told, browsing Owners Manual, I'm staggered by the amount of slide-out troubling shooting . . . so I'll start with step one which is . . . ensure TT level with stabilizers deployed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0534.jpg  
Old 02-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #6

No reset "relay" found

Learning from Owner Manual. Slide-out manufactured by Schwintek (subsequently purchased by Lippert). Trouble-shooting section is quite lengthy. It declares the slide-out should have at least 30amp fuse yet mine labeled as 20amp "reset" which I believe means it will protect itself by shutting off when over-heated then, activate when cooled off. The 20amp fuse appears normal not scorched. I don't believe a fuse can be tested so I tried a new 20amp with no positive result. Sigh
Old 02-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #7

Can you post a pic of your slide. Side walls of the slide or underneath the slide.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insist on live music View Post
The "Major Component Data Sheet" does not identify mfr of slide-out (nor power awning either). Go figure, eh? My best guess is "Lippert". A search of positive battery cable for a fuse &/or re-setable relay unproductive. I found a junction box, two 2-post terminals and a 30amp (green) fuse in negative line that visually looks good. [I'll post a photo]. Truth be told, browsing Owners Manual, I'm staggered by the amount of slide-out troubling shooting . . . so I'll start with step one which is . . . ensure TT level with stabilizers deployed.
I think you are on the right track. That’s where mine were located in my previous TT. Check power on both sides of the resettable breakers. I believe yours will be the one with the larger red wires. Is this like yours?
Attached Thumbnails
D398A313-CFA7-4676-AE46-B2A70E6AF6FF.jpg  
Old 02-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insist on live music View Post
Learning from Owner Manual. Slide-out manufactured by Schwintek (subsequently purchased by Lippert). Trouble-shooting section is quite lengthy. It declares the slide-out should have at least 30amp fuse yet mine labeled as 20amp "reset" which I believe means it will protect itself by shutting off when over-heated then, activate when cooled off. The 20amp fuse appears normal not scorched. I don't believe a fuse can be tested so I tried a new 20amp with no positive result. Sigh
If you have confirmed you have a Schwintek slide mechanism (most easily identified by the aluminum tracks on the sides of your slide rather than underneath the slide, you have a control module that is located somewhere in a usually obscure location. Find it. It will have small LED lights that will blink in varying flashes that will give you a diagnosis code to help identify the problem.
It can be a wide variety of causes.
I have found YouTube to be the most valuable resource for help. Look for an RV tech named "MyRVWorks.com" he has some extremely helpful video guides on a wide range of RV problems, especially the Schwintek mechanism. His YouTube videos are excellent.
(You can also go to the Lippert website and find the LippertU instructional videos, but I find MyRVWorks is far more helpful.)
Though it is time consuming, it is worth your time to get familiar with everything Schwintek so you have an understanding of how it works and what to do when it doesn't!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #10

I had an issue with a slide loosing power on 1 motor and took sometime to track down. Turned out to be a broke wire underneath that got caught up and stretched apart when extending slide. Jayco did a terrible job securing those wires. I had to remove the underbelly to discover this issue.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:30 PM   #11

Solution Found!

Thanks sooo much for your camaraderie. It helps calm nerves in overdrive.

A mobile repair unit arrived on site stating slide-out is NOT Lippert/Schwintek. He could tell merely from the sound. He figures it's a rack-pinion style with no control module. The FIX was merely the PLUG-IN HARNESS that fell off the back of the IN-OUT rocker button! I had it in mind the problem was some sort of blown fuse or a solenoid/relay re-set issue and embarrassed it was so simple.

Solution found! Thank you ALL. Bless your heart!