Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

Snapped Weld BRAND NEW 2BHS

My wife and I just traded in our our last Jayco for a new 2021 28BHS. I brought it home last Wednesday, I parked it, leveled it and carried on with my week. Come Sunday and when I tried to run the slide out to start packing for a trip, the slide only traveled about 2 inches before this weld snapped. it looks pretty clear that they welded over rust, then painted over it. Everywhere the paint chipped off when the weld snapped, you can see rust underneath. pictures taken from my phone immediately after it happened. Im pretty frustrated with this. Contacted my dealer early yesterday morning and sent pictures. I am still waiting for a response from my dealer, I assume they are waiting to hear from Jayco. Looks like my trip is cancelled.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210628_210055811 (1).jpg   PXL_20210627_215348305 (1).jpg   PXL_20210627_215336176 (1).jpg  
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
RPR

I would take the trailer back to dealer. Park it right at their front door. Show dealer non weld. Tell him Jayco has 48 hours to tell you in writing what they are going to do to make it right or you will let them deal with your lawyer.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily skip the warranty process with Jayco or the dealer. But, that looks to be a very easy and inexpensive repair by any competent welder. Before I would miss any trips with your trailer sitting at the dealer waiting for repair, I would contact a local welding shop or mobile welder for an estimate. You dealer may even have someone in house or that they regularly use that they could put you in contact with.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm not suggesting that you necessarily skip the warranty process with Jayco or the dealer. But, that looks to be a very easy and inexpensive repair by any competent welder. Before I would miss any trips with your trailer sitting at the dealer waiting for repair, I would contact a local welding shop or mobile welder for an estimate. You dealer may even have someone in house or that they regularly use that they could put you in contact with.
It does look to be a quick fix, my brother is a boilermaker and he laughed when I showed him. I have made a few purchases from my dealer and always had a great relationship with them for service. I am trying to give them an opportunity to make it right.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
It does look to be a quick fix, my brother is a boilermaker and he laughed when I showed him. I have made a few purchases from my dealer and always had a great relationship with them for service. I am trying to give them an opportunity to make it right.
I agree, see what the dealer is able to do in a reasonable time frame. If not, your brother can probably knock that out for you in a couple of minutes.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 06-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #6

That one weld certainly would\could be a quick fix, very poor workmanship for sure. I have seen first time welders run a better bead than that.

My concern would be with what else did that welder (if you can even call him a welder) weld? I would highly suggest to get under the frame and check all of the welded sections because that same person likely welded other areas as well.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
That one weld certainly would\could be a quick fix, very poor workmanship for sure. I have seen first time welders run a better bead than that.

My concern would be with what else did that welder (if you can even call him a welder) weld? I would highly suggest to get under the frame and check all of the welded sections because that same person likely welded other areas as well.
Good point.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
RPR

Being new, under warranty, if you do have someone other than a authorized Jayco Dealer repair the weld I would document it as a emergency repair so you could get it to a dealer. No telling what stress has been put on the slide out frame assembly that may cause problems later. It may affect your warranty if Jayco or a authorized Jayco dealer did not make the repair.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. My dealer reached out to me today and they are sending a service truck from the dealership out to repair it under warranty.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
RPR

Tech may know where to and how far to put his ground cable from where he is welding. You do not want current from the welder going through any existing wires or components.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
Thanks for the replies and thoughts. My dealer reached out to me today and they are sending a service truck from the dealership out to repair it under warranty.
That is perfect. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #12

First disconnect from shore power and use your battery cutoff, or disconnect the battery from the circuit.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:

My son did better than that when I taught him how to weld when he was only 12. Whoever did that should never be allowed to touch another welding job....

Glad you got a decent response from your dealer.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:

This post wins the JOF award for the day! Right Answer!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I like this approach, if you can’t get immediate, prompt service. Sometimes you have to spend a little to keep camping!

When My transfer switch burnt up on the road, it was under warranty, I purchased and replaced it myself. Wrote to jayco, submitted a receipt and got my money back!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote