Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Soft Laminated Floor Mitigation

After much consternation, research, and debate, we have decided to use a custom fit 7/8" floor mat that will cover all of the heavy traffic areas in our TT. Our weakest point is a seam in the middle of the galley that runs from side to side across the floor. We tested with smaller 7/8 retail mats. We determined that the mats helped distribute the weight and caused the floor to flex less.

The custom mat has a denser foam (vs. retail shelf mats) and a firm top layer that should provide even more reduced weight impact on the unit's floor. The mat will be cut to fit the width from the galley across to the slideout carpet (50") and from the wardrobe down the length of the galley (114"). It will narrow at the refer. The edges will be beveled. We are ordering it in walnut wood grain. The samples looked great, and it appears to be a very well made product. We will have to raise the custom mat to operate the slideout, but it should be a reasonable compromise.

Our next unit will not have cheap laminated/composite or composite wood product flooring. Hoping to reduce the likelihood of floor failure and extend the life of our TT, we are taking this step and making this financial investment. We do not have the final price yet, but it will be much cheaper than a failed floor. We are using American Floor Mats. They have been great to work with. We will keep you posted.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Great idea! I hope it works well for you! Those soft floors are unpleasant. I think there are a number of units out there with the soft floors. As a possible consolation, though there may be some that have failed, I have not read reports where they have actually failed to the point where people fall through them. Mostly what I’ve read is the irritation of the soft floors and I totally understand that frustration,.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Sounds like your covering the entire floor with this foam mat. Well you are in for a fantastic surprise and your going to kick yourself for not doing it a long time ago. It will be quieter inside, warm on your feet and a pleasure to walk on especially barefoot. The trailer takes on a whole new feel inside as you'll find out and when you invite someone inside its like a "Wow" moment. If you drop something don't worry it won't break even a bottle of wine, ask me how I know.
I don't have exactly what you have 5/8" foam but after 3 years I must say its the best thing I've ever purchased for this TT.
Please get back to us with pics. and your families new enjoyment level of this wise purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
After much consternation, research, and debate, we have decided to use a custom fit 7/8" floor mat that will cover all of the heavy traffic areas in our TT. Our weakest point is a seam in the middle of the galley that runs from side to side across the floor. We tested with smaller 7/8 retail mats. We determined that the mats helped distribute the weight and caused the floor to flex less.
What were the retail mats that you tried? Are you talking about something like a thick rubber stall mat that you can find a farm store?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Sounds like your covering the entire floor with this foam mat. Well you are in for a fantastic surprise and your going to kick yourself for not doing it a long time ago. It will be quieter inside, warm on your feet and a pleasure to walk on especially barefoot. The trailer takes on a whole new feel inside as you'll find out and when you invite someone inside its like a "Wow" moment. If you drop something don't worry it won't break even a bottle of wine, ask me how I know.
I don't have exactly what you have 5/8" foam but after 3 years I must say its the best thing I've ever purchased for this TT.
Please get back to us with pics. and your families new enjoyment level of this wise purchase.
What did you do to your floor? It looks awesome!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
What were the retail mats that you tried? Are you talking about something like a thick rubber stall mat that you can find a farm store?
We used our home's kitchen mats from COSTCO. The custom mat we are considering is a bit thicker (dense foam) with "wood grain" a top "shell" layer. I have never seen anything quite like it in a store.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Trunce, where did you get your floor at. It looks great and sounds wonderful. Does It interfere with the slide out ?

Thanks

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Just google "foam floors or flooring and it should pop up. These are 2'x2' interlocking piece squares with an oak finish. They cut with just a utility knife but you can use an exacto knife for the finer cuts. Being just 5/8" or any flooring of an inch give or take does not inter fear with the slideout ( at least not mine). I put Mop ń Glo, 2-3 coats to give it a great shine that lasts several weeks of hard beach traffic ( sand).
Now look at the wall with the heater vent, just make sure you cut it a little short to allow for expansion in the summer heat. Do the same for the far ends as well. I cut mine in winter and in the summer heat I needed to back and trim the edges I just discussed. It was easy to fix but could have been avoided if I paid a little more attention to the instructions.

There are no seams at any corner, I cut a template 1st for these areas and when your done just bend the full piece around the corner and your done.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Very cool! I do not think we can do this like yours or anything else that is fixed in place. We tested a 3/8" rubber mat, and our slide caught it each time we tried to see if we had clearance. Our slide is 3' deep; it has a heavy steel girding underneath (supporting its the slide floor). It's kind of like a big steel ramp that girds the entire slide structure. It grabs anything higher than a 1/4".

That's why we moved our thinking to a non-fixed application that we can move out of the way when operating the slide, thus the rubber mat. While I would prefer a full subfloor, one good thing is I can go with a beefier 7/8" mat that is movable. It maybe that the less deep slideouts can accomodate the raised the subfloor, but not the deeper slides with this steel structure beneath.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

That's interesting, my Lippert slide is 3' deep. X 11' long and after it slides in about a foot it raises up about 1-1/2" for the remaining travel.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Update: The custom mat is exorbitantly priced. We are going to order one of the company's standard sizes, 4'x5'. It will cover most of the heavy traffic areas at the galley and dinette. We are going with 7/8" walnut wood grain. It should be better than nothing.

This unit will be our last "ultra-light." When the day comes, we will look at units built like the current Outdoors RV (Timber Ridge and Blackstone), Northwoods Manufacturing (Arctic Fox Silver Edition), and Bigfoot models. For now, we are going to enjoy our Jayco and get all of the life out of it that we can. We are on a 10 year plan (based on investment criteria and lifestyle preferences).
Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Site Team

We had a Northwoods Manufacturing product in the past, a 2006 Nash. Very nice trailer but HEAVY for it's size. We purchased it used, it had actually been damaged before we purchased it and we knew that going in. But all and all, very nice.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the cost of the mats that you were thinking of using. I still like your idea and I'm looking to do something similar as a potential preventative in mine.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #13

Update: We purchased interlocking/puzzle piece EVA foam tiles from American Mat. We got more than enough to do the job for $180 - way less than the other options. We set most of them today; we have to custom cut a few pieces to finish it out. The tiles are 2'x2' and 7/8" thick. They are very sturdy and light weight. The floor has no detectable flexing with them in place. Hopefully, this will get us through the 10 year ownership goal that we have for this unit (with no floor damage).
Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #14

We completed the floor install (7/8" interlocking EVO foam tiles). It looks good, and it is super sturdy. It has to be reducing the amount of heel and body weight impact on the cruddy foam/Luan sandwich floor. We feel our feet pressing on the tiles now instead of the OE floor. Our weight on the floor is still the same, but our heels are not "soft-denting" it now. We are sure that, over time, the floor was going to start separating and disintegrating from crushing the luan into the foam. That is how these lousy floors typically start to fail. Also, the floor is no longer flexing at the seams like it was doing.

We covered the main living area of the coach (galley across to the dinette and refer). This is where most of our travel and long term standing occurs, and it is the longest expanse of floor in our unit's floorplan. We are pretty sure that our $200 investment is going to pay-off over the years. It also has the added benefit of protecting the vinyl flooring. Hopefully, in ten years when it is time for the Airstream (), we will have a floor that is in excelllent condition.

We will provide our use impressions (no pun intended) as we get her out this season. This could be a viable, affordable solution for one of the many symptoms suffered by those of us with Ultra-Light Quality Sacrifice disorders.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #15

Your going to love those foam tiles and you'll notice that it's quieter inside now, you'll ditch your shoes at the door because your feet will feel better walking on a cushioned surface and warmer too I might add. I'll say your going to be 100% satisfied with this addition and you'll want it in your new trailer even thou you won't need it!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #16
Site Team

I've got to get on this project this spring. Looks like it would be a great preventative and also offer some great insulation from the cold floors on the feet. Thanks for the idea.

By the way, in ten years time when you have your Airstream dreams, please let me know. Been there, done that, will never do it again.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #17

FeatherFam - do the tiles interfere with the slide? Your idea is great! I’m just curious if the slide catches the tiles in any way.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #18

Yes. We will have to lift the floor and place it against the galley for travel. It weighs next to nothing and stays intact when we lift it - really not a big deal, especially when weighed against the cost of other mods and/or a new floor, well wort the tiny bit of extra effort.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've got to get on this project this spring. Looks like it would be a great preventative and also offer some great insulation from the cold floors on the feet. Thanks for the idea.

By the way, in ten years time when you have your Airstream dreams, please let me know. Been there, done that, will never do it again.
Pray-tell about the Airstream. What happened with you? We have heard some horror stories.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Pray-tell about the Airstream. What happened with you? We have heard some horror stories.
Water leaks and rotted floor in the rear of the trailer.