Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2024, 04:08 PM   #1

!!! Water Leak !!!

After a relaxing morning the DW alarm went off. I was outside the door and was told to drop everything right now, we had a water leak. She was sitting at the table, sunlight was shining in and saw water around the floor at the kitchen island. By the time I got inside she had the island emptied out and was thinking the whole thing was going to fall right thru the floor due to water damage. After trying to calm and reassure her it's likely going to be OK (I know, risky move..) I had to search for a bit. Found a little water under the sink, but all connections were good. Took out the trash basket and close out panel, stuck my head in deeper and saw a super fine spray of water about 5" long going straight up off the pex tubing shine off my flashlight beam. No connector anywhere near it, just a super mini geyser. Felt it and thought it was damaged from a kink, but after taking a pic, saw it was nicked with a saw blade sometime during build. I have no idea how long it's been leaking, I was just thankful it was relatively easy to access. After having other leaks I ordered a pex tool set, a few fittings and cone washers and today it was well worth it. Calm has returned and I'm headed to the fridge for a cold one as my reward....
Attached Thumbnails
20240222_120928.jpg  
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #2

next to the

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Finding and fixing the leak AND calming the DW is worth at least TWO beers!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:36 PM   #4

Glad you got it fixed. I carry some pex repair stuff but more importantly some 1/2'' sharkbite fittings. If I came across something like that I would've cut that leak out and snapped a sharkbite connector in and done.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Glad you got it fixed. I carry some pex repair stuff but more importantly some 1/2'' sharkbite fittings. If I came across something like that I would've cut that leak out and snapped a sharkbite connector in and done.

I have a pex repair kit but no idea how to use it. The other day, while surfing the net, I ran across shark bite connectors that you simply push in and connect the two pieces. May be what you are referring to. I ran to Lowes and picked up a package, figured this I can do
Old 02-23-2024, 07:32 AM   #6

I carry a PEX kit in my storage bay along with some extra red and blue half inch PEX tubing. I just got a small tool box to hold the cutter and the crimper along with an assortment of fittings. PEX is very user friendly especially with the Shark Bite type connectors. No wonder it's used in new home construction, at least around here. I've tried soldering copper and it was always hit and miss for me.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:58 AM   #7

We knew you could do it ! we carry fittings and a length of blue and Red and some caps Just encase
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I have a pex repair kit but no idea how to use it. The other day, while surfing the net, I ran across shark bite connectors that you simply push in and connect the two pieces. May be what you are referring to. I ran to Lowes and picked up a package, figured this I can do
Yeah I have a couple of those on hand just in case. Probably not a matter of if but when.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 AM   #9

Dang hopefully the water didn’t do any damage. I bought some water alarms and placed in 3 locations of our camper (where the water pump is and under the kitchen and bathroom sinks). Hopefully those will help minimize damage. Those little alarms are loud!
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:47 AM   #10

I carry a sharkbite cap...can cut and cap the pex if needed for a temporary repair. All hardward stores have sharkbite or other brands if in a pinch.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:51 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Jerry713;1150555]Dang hopefully the water didn’t do any damage.

I did notice a slight bump that flattened when pushed lightly in the vinyl flooring by the island a few days proir to the DW's "alarm" but didn't think too much about it. I have a fan I'm running a few days to dry it out, later today I'm gonna try to squeeze in and feel how wet everything is. Water wasn't dripping out the bottom of the RV, but there's fiberglass insulation I can see that I need to check closer. I wasn't comfortable poking around too much at the time as there was a outlet for a dishwasher that was soaked. We have at least 1 year of use total since new in '2020, I hope it just started leaking. Water alarms would be a good idea, but I'm not sure I could buy enough to cover all the plumbing!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:28 AM   #12

At first, when I read your post, I thought the DW Water Alarm was a specific type of water alarm and was ready to search Amazon for one. Reading further, I laughed out loud when I realized DW meant your dear wife. We had read enough horror stories about plumbing leaks that we purchased a pex tool and fittings a few years ago and they permanently reside in the camper tool box. I plan to put water alarms under sinks, shower and water heater once our camper comes out of winter storage. They may not save us if the leak is elsewhere, but leaks are more likely in those areas. We had a boiler leak at home this winter, and the water alarm I bought a while back detonated almost immediately. If it had not been there, we wouldn't have known until we had a major flood and damage to our floating floors next to that area.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Dang hopefully the water didn’t do any damage. I bought some water alarms and placed in 3 locations of our camper (where the water pump is and under the kitchen and bathroom sinks). Hopefully those will help minimize damage. Those little alarms are loud!
Jerry, questions: My water pump is under dinette. Will what you bought work for me? I could probably use the 12volts for the pump for power.... Or is it battery?
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:34 AM   #14

Amazon is always getting new items. Check back on Amazon. DW Alarm may become available through Amazon.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote