Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #1

2005 Jayco Class C greyhawk

Trying to learn, hope I can get some help. I replaced my "house" battery with a Diehard deep cycle 600 CCA. It had an interstate deep cycle 600 CCA, so I used that as a model to replace with. Did I do the right thing?

I notice that my Cummins generator will start, but only after press the start button twice; the first time it clicks, then on the second press, it spins and starts.

My bedroom slider works fine, but the main diner room slider will not; it "bumps" about a half inch or so, then stops. I was able to crawl underneath the slider and find the bolt that allows me to manually close the slider that half inch.

At the house battery, there are three positive cables and one negative cable. Are the three cables for the generator starter (one cable), and the other two for the bedroom and main diner slider? If this is the case, how does this house battery charge up? I thought the engine (or shore power when plugged in) would charge this battery.

Can someone teach me?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Trying to learn, hope I can get some help. I replaced my "house" battery with a Diehard deep cycle 600 CCA. It had an interstate deep cycle 600 CCA, so I used that as a model to replace with. Did I do the right thing?

I notice that my Cummins generator will start, but only after press the start button twice; the first time it clicks, then on the second press, it spins and starts.

My bedroom slider works fine, but the main diner room slider will not; it "bumps" about a half inch or so, then stops. I was able to crawl underneath the slider and find the bolt that allows me to manually close the slider that half inch.

At the house battery, there are three positive cables and one negative cable. Are the three cables for the generator starter (one cable), and the other two for the bedroom and main diner slider? If this is the case, how does this house battery charge up? I thought the engine (or shore power when plugged in) would charge this battery.

Can someone teach me?
One cable connects to the Geny, one to your 12v fuse panel and converter (through the battery disconnect) and the other connects to the battery isolator and emergency start under the hood. The isolator/emergency start is what allows it to charge while driving.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #3

So, each positive cable from each of the slider motors connect to the fuse panel?

What is meant by the "battery disconnect"?

I also failed tomention that the house battery has what I call a "Frankestien (spelling) switch" at its negative post. this bar can be slid open to disconnect its ground (when in storage?). Is this a previous owner install, or is this common for a house battery?

2007 Ford F150
Old 02-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #4

There should be a relay near the battery that has a momentary switch by the door that allows you to remove power to the fuse panel for storage. Based on what you describe as a "frankenstein swtich", I wonder if the previous owner did some changes to the wiring that is not OEM.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #5

I will look for this relay (don't recall seeing it), but I would not doubt if a particular previous owner did some changes to the wiring! I had to redo the sewage line hookup, as it was not OEM by any means. There was a long piece OF PVC pipe running from the hookup that normally connected to a hose, and then to the campsite waste hookup. I could not figure this contraption out.

Still working on why the diner main slider will not work; but not giving up yet.

Thank you for your help and replies.

2007 Ford F150
Old 02-01-2022, 05:16 PM   #6

I have a related problem. Getting 2005 Greyhawk ready for a trip. Every thing works except the slide. Press button and nothing. Found a blown fuse still nothing. Connected jump started directly to motor and it works. Used VOM at Motor and had wife work switch and see voltage. Crazy thing is there are only 3 wires on switch and they are 14 gauge.One wire does have constant voltage at switch. There are only 2 wires at motor and they are 10 gauge. Took panel off at front door and cant find a loose 4th wire. There has to be a splice somewhere or a solenoid. Got out owners manual and it shows 4 wires at switch and 2 wires at the motor. I am the second owner(possibly 3rd) and have owned this unit for 5+ years.Never had issue till now.No telling what kind of rewiring previous owner(s) did. Any advice would be appreciated
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I have a related problem. Getting 2005 Greyhawk ready for a trip. Every thing works except the slide. Press button and nothing. Found a blown fuse still nothing. Connected jump started directly to motor and it works. Used VOM at Motor and had wife work switch and see voltage. Crazy thing is there are only 3 wires on switch and they are 14 gauge.One wire does have constant voltage at switch. There are only 2 wires at motor and they are 10 gauge. Took panel off at front door and cant find a loose 4th wire. There has to be a splice somewhere or a solenoid. Got out owners manual and it shows 4 wires at switch and 2 wires at the motor. I am the second owner(possibly 3rd) and have owned this unit for 5+ years.Never had issue till now.No telling what kind of rewiring previous owner(s) did. Any advice would be appreciated
You won't have a 4th wire since the motor is grounded to the frame. You have a single pole double throw switch. Center tap is hot and then each of the other wires determine which direction power is sent to the motor, one for extend and one for retract. There may be two relays that the #14's go to and then the #10 gauge come from the relays or controller to the motor.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:35 AM   #8

I thought as much regarding relays. Now to find where they are located. I also noticed that the battery disconnect switch does not work. Hasn't worked since we bought it. Anther task for another day. Thank you for the info.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:24 AM   #9

On my slider, I can hear the motor activate, but slider only moves about a 1/2 inch to maybe 1 inch outward, then it stops. It then will not go back in. I had to crawl underneath, release the motor brake, and manually use a socket to get it back in. So I know its getting power from the switch to the slider motor.

On a previous camping trip, I did forget to install the extenders (if that's what they are called) at the top of the slider inside (used to keep the seal from what I read). The slider kept a good seal and never moved though on that trip.

One other question: does the "brake" on the slider motor automatically disable when the slider is opened/closed via the switch? Or is it only used when you manually open/close the slider?

Is it a stop mechanism to shut off the motor? If so, how does the motor work to open/close the slider if the brake is on?

2007 Ford F150
Old 02-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #10

Haven't had any progress locating slide relays .. However,I did discover why battery cutoff did not work. 5A Fuse in solenoid was blown and circuit breaker next to it is bad. There is another slot on solenoid for another fuse but do not if it requires one and what size and it was bypassed by PO or tech. May replace it also won't be done before trip to S. Fl next week for my niece's funeral. Plan to drive to spring hill 2 days before and then leave RV at my S-I-L's property then take "toad" to Boca on day of funeral. Only a 4 hour drive the funeral.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:46 PM   #11

Upon further inspection the problem maybe at the motor. I can see there is a lot of corrosion on the bolts that hold the slide motor to the bracket. Sprayed with penetration solvent but waiting for warming to get under and replacing bolts and circuit breaker & disconnect solenoid.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #12

. Progress! Never made the trip to FL Storm blew thru in Jan. and tree from neighbor's yard feel on my patio, Only damage was to gutter. Got back to work on MH d started over and Replaced ends on battery cables as the ones from Jayco were not designed to be water resistant. Worked the slide switch back and forth and heard sound not heard during first attempt. Had wife come out and operate the switch and found the slide relays under the bathroom sink near the water pump. Took it that circuit board and cleaned it and reinstalled it and now it does NOT work. Ordered new one from Amazon. Will know Friday if that is the problem. Will post results then but pretty sure that is it.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:29 AM   #13

I found that my issue with the slider was a weak white ground wire (under the house battery is where all the white ground wires are; several were broken, and two broke off when pulled. Corrected those, and the slider worked! I'm sure several other items will now work that I have not used yet.

I found another mess pertaining to the house battery disconnect feature. The battery disconnect switch was missing; a previous owner removed it, and covered the hole with a simple cover. I removed this cover, which was by the door steps inside, and found the white wire (ground) and brown wire (ground supply when switch is pressed) that connects to the solenoid by the house battery). Bought the replacement switch; was lucky in finding a Jayco parts retailer on a google search that located the OEM switch for me. Found that the assumed same previous owner had the solenoid replaced, and then it perhaps failed, as the positive battery lead was removed from the solenoid left post. This same previous owner then installed a "throw switch" on the negative post of the house battery to manually disconnect the battery, bypassing the designed original disconnect switch and solenoid Jayco uses.

I bought a wrong solenoid initially, and with the help of a great member here, got the right one. The house battery now functions as designed with the disconnect switch and solenoid.

2007 Ford F150
Old 04-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #14

.Great info. I could not remember if I checked the grounds. On the battery I have 2 grounds & 4 hot wires connected. I crimped new ends on all the wires as Jayco or a PO had used ends that are not designed for outdoor use. I purchased new copper ones with a commercial crimping tool and heat shrink. also extended the wires as the originals were too short to allow the battery tray to slide out far enough to easily access the battery. I had previously fabricated a metal frame to hold a large Mooride(sp) battery tray that can hold 4+ batteries plus a larger access door. The original battery tray was mounted under the RV near the Genny and was very rusted.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #15

Success. It was the circuit/relay board located under the bathroom sink. Ordered a new one from Amazon. Now to tackle the battery cutoff. Need a diagram of this circuit. Here is link to the circuit board in question. Uses a slow blow fuse and a 20 amp auto reset circuit breaker( breaker not provided but should be reusable)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0924S19KJ...roduct_details