Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

2017 Greyhawk 31fs generator trouble shoot

This is the second winter that we have owned our new Greyhawk and we have it stored at an outdoor lot with no availability to power. I have the house battery removed and plugged into a trickle charger in my basement. Last winter I would go to the lot and start up the engine every two weeks and let it run for 30 minutes while also firing up the generator and letting it run for 45 minutes to hour. I kept up this practice this year after parking it in mid October. All was well until this past Saturday when I went to start up the generator. While activating the prime button inside the coach, the red light never came on and trying to start it resulting in nothing. I then went outside to the actual generator and something there, nothing. It is like there is no power to it. I ensured the breaker switch on the generator beside the start button was ok and it was. I then went to the washroom to ensure the gfi had not been tripped and it wasn’t. My only other thought would be to check the fuse box however in my unit it is at the foot of the bed which is inaccessible with the slide in. I currently can’t open the slide as I have no power. Any advice would help.
Mom, Dad, 2 boys, 1 girl
Brampton Ontario Canada
See you real Soon!
May the Schwartz Be with You!
Eagle 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

I also have a 31FS and stored outside I don't think I would have power to start the generator unless I had the house battery installed in it's place. My power switch would show nada without that house battery. Guess the best place to start would be to reinstall your house battery and see if that will do it. Also you will then have a power source to open your rear slide to look at the fuses. You are on a 2 year warranty so I would say you are in good shape one way or another.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #3

Same here - I need the house battery to start the generator on my 2016 31FK. Once I went out to a dead house battery, but started the Ford engine. After five minutes the alternator provided enough power to start the generator.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

Besides starting the engine, you could press the auxiliary power button on the dash (left of steering wheel if it hasn’t been changed since 2016 models) while someone else tries to start the generator. This button can be used to start the engine if the chassis battery is not enough by itself, or the button can use power from the chassis battery/alternator to start your generator. I don’t know how it would work without a house battery in place.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will give em a try on the weekend when I go back to the lot. What is throwing me off is that last winter I was able to start the generator while the house battery was in my basement. Was able to do from oct to April every 2 weeks providing the ford engine was running.
Mom, Dad, 2 boys, 1 girl
Brampton Ontario Canada
See you real Soon!
May the Schwartz Be with You!
Eagle 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle 05 View Post
providing the ford engine was running.
Interesting.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Yea interesting. I think he is going to push that button.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote