Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #21

RetiredOne . . . thanks for the smile and the advice! Brilliant! The dog would be much happier too. He HATES when the generator is running!
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #22

I buy everything from Amazon these days. The one I purchased is not available but there are others. I picked one with 100 amp capability.

To reads the amp draw you must install the shunt at the battery and run a small wire to the display from the shunt. Not really difficult, just requires an extra wire. I routed mine, fused at the battery for safety, under the rig and up into the area below my oven. I installed the display in a little plastic box.

Reading amp draw requires a shunt at the battery. It would be nice if there was a wireless or Bluetooth monitor available. I poked around but didn't see one.

Do an Amazon search for Digital LED Voltmeter Ammeter Multimeter and you will get a bunch of choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #23

Try dry camping in your driveway for a weekend to get the hang of it.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #24

We have same year and model. We were told it only powered front TV but have since learned it also powers outlets beside bed. We were not told there was one under dinette. I just check and low in behold we do. Our inverter did not work when we got it and dealership only have to replace a fuse ?? Have never found the need to use it yet but same goes for a lot of things we bought it for.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #25

Did you buy your batteries with unit or after we want to add a second battery but are concerned about the fit of after market
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #26

Does anyone know where jayco puts the inverter?
Gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo123316 View Post
Check under the bed.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo123316 View Post
My 2017 Greyhawk's inverter was under the bed. You have to unscrew a piece of wood to get at it. Lift up the end of the mattress and you should see the wood.

Jim

Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #29

My 2018 Greyhawk 31fs invertor powers front tv, both bunk tv’s , rear tv and both plugs next to main bed...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #30

In our 2005 Greyhawk , none of the wall plugs work without the Generator. So we charge everything in the mornings as we run the generator to make breakfast. and in the evenings as we watch a movie.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #31

When not plug in to shore power. You inverter should come on every time you turn it on. BUT. the battery disconnect switch MUST be on. That may be why you say sometime the inverter does not work. The inverter will power the same plugs every time. There is also a reset button on the inverter.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I buy everything from Amazon these days. The one I purchased is not available but there are others. I picked one with 100 amp capability.

To reads the amp draw you must install the shunt at the battery and run a small wire to the display from the shunt. Not really difficult, just requires an extra wire. I routed mine, fused at the battery for safety, under the rig and up into the area below my oven. I installed the display in a little plastic box.

Reading amp draw requires a shunt at the battery. It would be nice if there was a wireless or Bluetooth monitor available. I poked around but didn't see one.

Do an Amazon search for Digital LED Voltmeter Ammeter Multimeter and you will get a bunch of choices.
Jim,
I am guessing that you would normally connect the meter on the house battery, not on the coach/engine battery. Would it be prudent to get two meters and hook one to each system? Also in layman's terms, can you explain the purpose of the shunt that has to be installed? Does it come with the meter or is it something extra that you purchased? And did you wire yours before the main coach shut-off switch? Thank you!
Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #33

Patcheserv, we bought the extra battery at our local dealership. They steered us towards the battery vs. solar until we were sure we actually needed more than the batteries could provide.
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Jim,
I am guessing that you would normally connect the meter on the house battery, not on the coach/engine battery. Would it be prudent to get two meters and hook one to each system? Also in layman's terms, can you explain the purpose of the shunt that has to be installed? Does it come with the meter or is it something extra that you purchased? And did you wire yours before the main coach shut-off switch? Thank you!
Ed
I love these kinds of questions because it reactivates the electronic technician brain cells that aren't being used much during retirement.

These meters should be wired directly to the house battery because that is what you need to monitor and it is best to monitor at the source. Measuring downstream will give different results. When wired to the battery you will end up running 3 wires from the battery area to the meter's location: +12 volts, ground, and the current measurement wire.

When current flows though any wire some of the voltage will be dissipated across the wire due to the resistance in the wire. The more resistance in the wire, the more voltage will be dropped across it. This is a fact and the reason you need heavier gauge wires when pulling more current so the voltage drop across the wire is minimal. This voltage drop can be measured and is what is happening when a shunt is used.

A shunt is nothing more than a chunk of metal with a known resistance. When inserted inline with a battery feed, the shunt will drop a very small voltage across it. I haven't measured this actual voltage drop but assume that it is in microvolts or milivolts since the shunt is a good chunk of metal. If you were to hook up a meter across the the shunt your meter would be able to measure the very small voltage that would be there. That is what the meter is doing in these displays. It is actually measuring microvolts (or maybe milivolts) and not current. They design these things so that their voltage measurements equate to the amount of current being drawn. Hope this makes sense.

As far as putting one on the coach battery, that would be a waste. You don't need to monitor a constant draw from that battery because you have no control over it. Besides, when you engage the starter, MAJOR current is drawn and your meter may not be able to handle it. Instead, just plug a voltage monitor into the cigarette lighter (old term, now called a power outlet) and just look at it now and then.

When I camp I use the coach battery to recharge electronic devices (phones, pads, my drone, etc) through a multi-tap usb charger. Doing this causes the battery to slowly lose power. When I see it get down to about 12.3 or 12.4 I will charge it back up. Being an electronic geek I naturally came up with an easy way to recharge the coach battery rather than having to start the engine.

I purchased an RF relay that I connected to the rig's relay that connects the coach battery and house battery together when the engine is running. I can trigger the rig's relay by pushing a button on a little keychain. Then my house converter can charge all batteries at once. I also have solar which will recharge everything. When I engage (like captain Picard would say) my remote relay I can see the voltage reading go way up on my display that is plugged into the front power outlet. I let it run for a few hours which is enough to bring the coach battery back up to a good level. I then shut off my relay and wait days until the voltage drops again to a level where I want to recharge.

All of my mods (maybe I should say toys) have worked perfectly for years. I love gadgets (wife just loves this quirk about me, maybe not). Computers, electronics, and whatever. Love it all. Oops, I am getting off topic because I got a little too excited.

Anyway, please feel free about asking me any electronic questions. Before I retired I was in tech service where I helped other technicians troubleshoot electronic things. I miss it more than I want to admit. These days I only get asked by my wife why certain things don't work like they should. Like "why didn't the remote change the tv channel to what I had selected". You get my drift.

Jim

Old 05-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #35

The below paragraph was very interesting to me but waaaaaay to geeky. Is it possible to put it into extremely VERY basic layman terms? LOL!! I sure you probably tried to do that anyway but it goes over my head on what some of the terms were.
Thanks!

You said...
"I purchased an RF relay that I connected to the rig's relay that connects the coach battery and house battery together when the engine is running. I can trigger the rig's relay by pushing a button on a little keychain. Then my house converter can charge all batteries at once. I also have solar which will recharge everything. When I engage (like captain Picard would say) my remote relay I can see the voltage reading go way up on my display that is plugged into the front power outlet. I let it run for a few hours which is enough to bring the coach battery back up to a good level. I then shut off my relay and wait days until the voltage drops again to a level where I want to recharge."
- 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
billgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgeo View Post
The below paragraph was very interesting to me but waaaaaay to geeky. Is it possible to put it into extremely VERY basic layman terms? LOL!! I sure you probably tried to do that anyway but it goes over my head on what some of the terms were.
Thanks!

You said...
"I purchased an RF relay that I connected to the rig's relay that connects the coach battery and house battery together when the engine is running. I can trigger the rig's relay by pushing a button on a little keychain. Then my house converter can charge all batteries at once. I also have solar which will recharge everything. When I engage (like captain Picard would say) my remote relay I can see the voltage reading go way up on my display that is plugged into the front power outlet. I let it run for a few hours which is enough to bring the coach battery back up to a good level. I then shut off my relay and wait days until the voltage drops again to a level where I want to recharge."
The RF relay is nothing more that a Radio Frequency operated switch just like you key fob. it controls battery switches. He is remote controling battery switches.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #37

Geeky , I will take that. Geek is good.

I'll put this is very basic terms assuming no electronic knowledge. You take a flux capacitor, drive 88 miles per hour.......

To charge the house battery and chassis battery in these rigs, a high power relay is used. A relay is nothing more than a switch that is turned on and off by a voltage instead of a finger, although when mine failed I did give it the finger but that is another story.

When the ignition is turned on, 12 volts is sent to this relay which connects both batteries together just as if you had wired them together. This is done so both batteries can be charged off the vehicle's alternator. I am talking about a motor home and not a trailer.

Way back in the day if you added a camper to a truck, which I did multiple times, you needed to add a relay or battery isolator to be able to charge your camper's battery when the engine was running. Relays are much less expensive than battery isolators so they carried over to motor homes.

That is how the vehicle's relay works. What I did was add a small 12 volt relay that was controlled by a little remote control like your keyless entry might use. I wired it in so when I activated my remote it would supply 12 volts to the vehicles high power relay thus connecting the two batteries together. The relay I chose was an on/off style meaning you had to press an on button to turn it on and an off button to turn it off.

When my relay is on the two batteries are connected together. Since the engine is off the alternator is not doing the charging. Instead, if you are plugged in to shore power or have solar, those charging systems will charge both batteries.

You do not want to leave the batteries connected together forever for various reasons. I only keep them connected for a few hours to bring the charge up on my chassis (engine) battery. With a simple voltage monitor plugged in to the cigarette lighter outlet I can easily see what my chassis battery is up to.

My Greyhawk actually has a pushbutton that can be used to connect both batteries together to either help start your engine or generator in case one of your batteries gets too low.

All of this fancy talk just so I can play with my toys. Maybe I am a mutant.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  

Jim

Old 05-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #38

THANKS JimD. It will take this thick old skull some time to digest that. Appreciate your efforts to convey something that is not even a 2nd thought to you to a level of attempting to convey it to a 2nd grader. Electricity/Power is a complete mystery to me. It's simply just magic that can't be explained as far as I'm concerned.
- 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
billgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
All of this fancy talk just so I can play with my toys. Maybe I am a mutant.

You're not.
We are.

I've got 4 Raspberry Pis in the RV now collecting data and sending it back home.