Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
TnK

2022 Melbourne Total AC Fail

Looking for some help here fellas…

I’m plugged into shore power and have lost all AC circuits. Main breaker is not tripped (although to be sure I’ve reset it and lol the breakers several times).
Tried to get AC off the generator and still no power.
I have the red led light on the power plug and the blue led indicator at the coach connection is on indicating I am getting power to the coach (although with the generator that wouldn’t matter)
Looking for a quick fix (��������).
How about it guys…where do I start looking?

**EDIT**
The only thing I have did was to plug in a portable radiator heater (which has worked very well in the past) snd was working until we had a storm roll through (which may have caused a brown out or surge…if that had happened it would have reset all of the electronics in my house too, which did not happen).
Other than that I recently added a 12VDc outlet for my CPAP but that shouldn’t have any affect on my AC system.
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #2

Are you running an electrical management system or surge suppressor of any kind? Do you have a multimeter with you? I would verify actual voltage at the pedestal, then at the main breaker of the camper. I would not rely on LED indicator lights.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Are you running an electrical management system or surge suppressor of any kind? Do you have a multimeter with you? I would verify actual voltage at the pedestal, then at the main breaker of the camper. I would not rely on LED indicator lights.
Got it figured out…I had the coach electrical plugged into a 100’ extension cord and although there was enough current to light the LED on the cord and at the receptacle the voltage drop was sufficient enough that it would not power the circuits inside.

I found that surprising as I’ve never seen that situation come up in an AC circuit before. And the extension cord is a 10ga 3-wire cord too.

Anyway…I’m glad I got it figured out and even more glad that it happened in my own garage instead of out on the road somewhere!!
Old 02-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

Glad you got it figured out too. 100 feet is a LONG way, even for 10g. I use 10g for our 25' runs and I spent extra to make sure it was a quality cord. I don't know - if I had to go 100', I'd probably go for 6 or 8 gauge.

Just me.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #5
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Glad you got it figured out too. 100 feet is a LONG way, even for 10g. I use 10g for our 25' runs and I spent extra to make sure it was a quality cord. I don't know - if I had to go 100', I'd probably go for 6 or 8 gauge.

Just me.
Yeah…that was 100’ IN ADDITION to the 25’ cable that came with the RV.
Puzzling thing is it was working jus5 fine until I moved it to another outlet so my wife could park her car in the adjoining bay without running over the cord.
Soon as I removed the extension cord and plugged it straight into the outlet everything started working again just fine.
Prior to this I had the RV outside so I could open the slide for access under the bed (had to install a 12VDC outlet) and it was plugged in using the same outlet and extension cord for 2 weeks. Sometimes I just shake my head and chalk it up to what we NAVY folks call FM!