Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Awning questions

The awning on our 2016 Redhawk XD26 has mildew stains on it. I have been reading threads and looking online, and they all seem to say "For a vinyl awning, do this, but for an acrylic awning, do that". My first question is how to tell which the awning fabric is -- vinyl or acrylic? I looked in the booklet that came with the awning, and it says, "your awning is either vinyl or acrylic...", which I found very helpful.
My second question is what to use to clean it. Dawn detergent seems to be a perennial favorite, but the booklet said to use soap and NOT detergent. Should I use Dawn, Camco awning cleaner, something else...? (I know that I'm opening a can of worms with that last sentence).

I was going to go at it with a bucket of whatever solution and a soft brush on a long pole.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Vinyl awnings are more waterproof than acrylic. Acrylic is more of a fabric. I just cleaned all the mildew stains of the underside of my vinyl awning (There were lots of them) with a mixture of warm water, small amount of bleach and a bit of Dawn dish soap.

I used a garden sprayer and soaked both top and bottom with the solution, rolled up the awning for about 15 - 20 minutes and hosed it down. Awning looks like new again!

I was very hesitant to use bleach but it definitely worked - I didn't even have to use a brush. It did take 2 soakings for it to come fully clean.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Vinyl awnings are more waterproof than acrylic. Acrylic is more of a fabric. I just cleaned all the mildew stains of the underside of my vinyl awning (There were lots of them) with a mixture of warm water, small amount of bleach and a bit of Dawn dish soap.

I used a garden sprayer and soaked both top and bottom with the solution, rolled up the awning for about 15 - 20 minutes and hosed it down. Awning looks like new again!

I was very hesitant to use bleach but it definitely worked - I didn't even have to use a brush. It did take 2 soakings for it to come fully clean.

Great idea! Hadn't thought about rolling the awing up to soak...

Tags
awning