Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #1

Beware the Quickie Oil Change

So the story goes...

We bought our used 2017 32FS about a year ago on consignment and it had recently received an oil change. After checking level, color, etc. myself, I felt satisfied that the oil would be good for the season and we went on our merry way without another thought. As we approached the magic oil change mileage I went and bought myself some MOBIL One and a decent filter and set off to do what I've done for myself 100+ times before with all our vehicles....

I used the handy leveling system for a little more room underneath reached up and gave a good twist... nothing. Tried with a rag and wrench for some added leverage..... nothing. Then I cursed for awhile and drove to a nearby Walmart and bought one of those cap wrenches and came back tried again.... nothing.... but a crushed end of an oil filter. I cursed some more.

Then I tried YouTube to see what others had done... The option I saw which I had never tried before was to drill into the filter, insert a long screw driver through both sides and give another try. Well.... I ended up with an oil filter with jagged metal that was securely fastened to my RV..... I cursed some more.

Then I gave in to my ego and sanity and called in a local mobile mechanic.

He grabbed some abnormally long channel locks, gave it a go, and.... cursed. Then, using the channel locks, he squished the oil filter into an somewhat oblong shape, squeezed a couple of pieces of wood between the channel locks and the filter and gave it a go... after turning three shades of purple and leveraging himself against the frame of the bottom of the RV, it finally gave way.

I've never taken my vehicles to an oil change place (a couple of times to dealerships when the cars have been under service agreements) and never will...

Best of luck to all. Happy RV'ing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3525.jpg   IMG_3526.jpg  
N7flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #2

Hmmmmm, maybe they didn't oil the rubber gasket, over tightened and it vulcanized to the metal due to engine heat.
Glad all worked out.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

Youth and inexperience, that's what it is. I've reached the age where I pay to have mine done, but I'm selective about where I will take my vehicles.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #4

For this reason, alone, I do my own oil changes on all of my vehicles (5 of them) and dislike the thought of not being to do this as I get older. I am currently 76 and will continue this as long as I am able to crawl underneath and git’er done !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

When I was in high school (back in the 70s) I worked in a full-service gas station. Giant channel locks was the go-to tool for removing oil filters. Occasionally we would have to use a long screwdriver as the OP mentioned, but one time I actually had to use a hammer and chisel.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
CAG

I do my own and every third or fourth one I take it to a shop I trust and have used for years because the check belt, hoses etc. I never trusted those quickly shops.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

I fill my filters with oil first and do the ring. Most of my filters install straight up
Old 10-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

It's not just filters, most inexperienced people over tighten nut they encounter.
I've pounded a few screwdrivers thru oil filters myself.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #9

Yep, the last two oil changes I did for friends of the family and had to resort to putting a screwdriver thru it to finally get it off. I found a neat tool that should make it much easier next time, without puncturing the filter.

Picked it up at Napa. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...r+removal+tool

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Haven't changed oil since I was a teen, but when the local place told me it was over $100 to change the oil, I figured what the hell... Bought a few filters, 5W 30 Motorcraft oil, a nice grease gun and some Motorcraft lube. Shouldn't forget to mention the 16 Qt oil container from Walmart and a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight.

Actually felt kinda good to climb under Homer and check things out. Figure it costs me about $25 to $30 for each oil change, and I know that the lube is getting done.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #11

Don't forget the bag of kitty litter.
No matter how careful I am, there seems to always be a dribble or three.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Don't forget the bag of kitty litter.
No matter how careful I am, there seems to always be a dribble or three.
Ha, should’ve added those blue shop towels... I always manage to get some oil on the tarp.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #13

I’m lucky to have a diesel mechanic I trust — no way I want to mess with changing 15 quarts of oil in my truck. He doesn’t charge any more for the Rotella and the Motorcraft filter than what I can get it for. And for $10 labor it’s a no brainer.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #14
MD3

I try to use K&N oil filters just for the 1” nut welded in the bottom.
Makes removal super easy.
I have not yet put one on the Seneca but I have them on all my other vehicles.

-
Attached Thumbnails
44F48AF1-6E68-4009-B05F-3F296B2AA10C.jpg  
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Yep, the last two oil changes I did for friends of the family and had to resort to putting a screwdriver thru it to finally get it off. I found a neat tool that should make it much easier next time, without puncturing the filter.

Picked it up at Napa. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...r+removal+tool
For a REALLY tough filter, that will just crush the end. FWIW, I have one like that and a handful of other filter wrenches hanging around my garage. Best one I've found yet is like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Swpeet-Standa...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thankfully I've never had to punch through one ... yet.

But I figure so long as I always do my own, the only one I might have to fight with is the first one. And it's not just the "quicky change" places or inexperienced shade tree mechanics that overtighten them. I've fought with filters on brand new vehicles. Worst one was a John Deere lawn tractor. First oil change, and I thought I wasn't going to get that filter off. But to be fair, I think they ship those in crates only partially assembled, so it may have been the dealer that did the final assembly and install of oil and filter...

Years ago before DW and I were married, she needed an oil change on her Jeep. She didn't want me messing with it, so we took it to Jiffy Lube. They didn't put a SINGLE cap back on in the engine compartment, left the air box open. I was actually surprised to find oil in the crank case (though we wouldn't have made it a mile down the road if they hadn't put oil in). NEVER, EVER again. Corporate tried to make it right by offering me a credit for future use. Ya, like I'd EVER let them touch ANY of my vehicles again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
For a REALLY tough filter, that will just crush the end. FWIW, I have one like that and a handful of other filter wrenches hanging around my garage. Best one I've found yet is like this:

But I figure so long as I always do my own, the only one I might have to fight with is the first one. And it's not just the "quicky change" places or inexperienced shade tree mechanics that overtighten them. I've fought with filters on brand new vehicles. Worst one was a John Deere lawn tractor. First oil change, and I thought I wasn't going to get that filter off. But to be fair, I think they ship those in crates only partially assembled, so it may have been the dealer that did the final assembly and install of oil and filter...

Years ago before DW and I were married, she needed an oil change on her Jeep. She didn't want me messing with it, so we took it to Jiffy Lube. They didn't put a SINGLE cap back on in the engine compartment, left the air box open. I was actually surprised to find oil in the crank case (though we wouldn't have made it a mile down the road if they hadn't put oil in). NEVER, EVER again. Corporate tried to make it right by offering me a credit for future use. Ya, like I'd EVER let them touch ANY of my vehicles again!

In all of my years with changing oil and filter, after having all kinds of gimmick filter wrenches, I too use a strap type wrench. I find they work the best !!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #17

Nice read. I had totally forgotten about the screw-driver-thru the filter method, one I have used before, but many many years ago.

I also 'level' the RV up as high as it will go and only hand tighten the oil filter. And I use one of those end caps and a ratchet to remove it. Learned the hard way to use a very large oil drain pan too!

Oh yeah, and exam gloves. Since we all (should) have them due to the ongoing pandemic, makes sense to use them in an oil change.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and keep it to around 5000 miles between changes. Anyone else do differently?
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:

I have 2 of those filter wrenches (one large diameter and one small) which have been in my tool box for over 25 years. It is amazing how a filter that is installed hand tight can get much, much tighter over time. My zero turn mowers filter is real bad with tightening after about 25 hours of operation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
Nice read. I had totally forgotten about the screw-driver-thru the filter method, one I have used before, but many many years ago.

I also 'level' the RV up as high as it will go and only hand tighten the oil filter. And I use one of those end caps and a ratchet to remove it. Learned the hard way to use a very large oil drain pan too!

Oh yeah, and exam gloves. Since we all (should) have them due to the ongoing pandemic, makes sense to use them in an oil change.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and keep it to around 5000 miles between changes. Anyone else do differently?
I also use Mobil1, and either Motorcraft (for the motorhome) or WIX oil filters. As for frequency, it's 8,000 miles or once per year. It usually ends up being once per year, even if we have a really long trip during the year. And I always change the oil just before it gets stored in January or February. That's our long storage season because of work. We won't touch it between about January and late April or May. So I always store it with fresh oil, and a full tank of treated fuel.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #20

Quote:
I also use Mobil1, and either Motorcraft (for the motorhome) or WIX oil filters. As for frequency, it's 8,000 miles or once per year. It usually ends up being once per year, even if we have a really long trip during the year. And I always change the oil just before it gets stored in January or February. That's our long storage season because of work. We won't touch it between about January and late April or May. So I always store it with fresh oil, and a full tank of treated fuel.

Other than the winter storage, I do the same as what you do. Depending on just how much I use the MH, sometimes the interval of change goes to 6,000 miles. Definitely Wix or Nappa Gold filters, which are the same, anyway.

Tags
32fs, change, oil