Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2022, 07:17 PM   #1

Can’t fill the water tank

I have a 2008 GreyHawk 31ss. Im new to the GreyHawk. I’m having difficulty filling the water tank. I set all the adjustment knobs to the correct settings and open the low water drain (to check for water flow) but nothing come out. The sensor still reads empty. Water works fine when just using city water from the hose. What am I missing?

Is there another shut off valve somewhere?
Do I need to fill using the 12v water pump?
Would flipping the screen help?
Attached Thumbnails
wet panel (2).jpg  
Kingja68156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #2

Perhaps the previous owner changed the plumbing behind the valves and now the funnel is where to fill the fresh water tank? ~CA
Old 04-11-2022, 04:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Perhaps the previous owner changed the plumbing behind the valves and now the funnel is where to fill the fresh water tank? ~CA
I contacted the previous owner. They said they never used it. The owner before that has passed away. That funnel in the picture is just for winterizing. It’s just sitting there
Old 04-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #4

The valve could be stuck or there could be a venting issue. Does the tank have some way to breath to allow it to fill?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Team

I would take the water pressure off the unit and exercise all of those valves slowly a few times in case one is stuck. Try it again.

ps: I edited your post to turn the picture over.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #6

just an idea could you back flow preventer at the fill be stuck ? ( I had this happen once i freed it up all was good to go)
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
just an idea could you back flow preventer at the fill be stuck ? ( I had this happen once i freed it up all was good to go)
I was also thinking about the back flow preventer. I’ve read about flipping the screen to press on the back flow preventer but wasn’t sure. I believe that only works when filling the tank using the 12v pump to suck from a water jug/container. I guess I can try that today. I’ll also run a coat hanger through the 3 vents on the tank to make sure there are no obstructions
Old 04-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingja68156 View Post
I was also thinking about the back flow preventer. I’ve read about flipping the screen to press on the back flow preventer but wasn’t sure. I believe that only works when filling the tank using the 12v pump to suck from a water jug/container. I guess I can try that today. I’ll also run a coat hanger through the 3 vents on the tank to make sure there are no obstructions

Mine was stuck from lack of use. the incoming water pressure couldn't open it. I took the screen washer out and stuck my little finger in the fill connection and pushed it open
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
Mine was stuck from lack of use. the incoming water pressure couldn't open it. I took the screen washer out and stuck my little finger in the fill connection and pushed it open
I pushed it with my finger and it moves but maybe the 40psi I have my regulator set to isn’t enough. I’m going to flip the screen
Old 04-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingja68156 View Post
I pushed it with my finger and it moves but maybe the 40psi I have my regulator set to isn’t enough. I’m going to flip the screen
Nope still didn’t work. I actually took the backflow preventer out checked it put it back together and it still doesn’t work. City flow works just fine so it can’t be the backflow preventer. I also ran a coat hanger up the three vents on the side of the freshwater tank. I didn’t feel any obstructions. However I do now have a slow trickle coming out of the low freshwater drain. But not even close to how it should be.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #11

Perhaps take a look at the valve handles and the valve stems. I have seen a couple units where the handles "shifted" on the stems and therefore did not "point" where they were supposed to.

So perhaps remove each handle and see if you can see any evidence they may be stripped.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Perhaps take a look at the valve handles and the valve stems. I have seen a couple units where the handles "shifted" on the stems and therefore did not "point" where they were supposed to.

So perhaps remove each handle and see if you can see any evidence they may be stripped.

Thank you. I will take them off tomorrow. Wonder if I can turn them with out the black knobs.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #13

The filling instructions in the manual say to turn the hot water heater bypass to normal position. What is normal position. Because if you read on and it explains how to use the water in the freshwater tank and it says turn the hot water bypass to on.

What’s the difference between normal and on?
Attached Thumbnails
BEC0FD53-CFDB-402C-9B02-33DDEBEEA2C7.jpg  
Old 04-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #14

If you don't make progress, I would consider taking the screws out (if you can't see from behind from cabinet panel perhaps), and take a look and get some pictures just to make sure everything appears to be connected. I suspect as other(s) mentioned that the valve knob(s) may have slipped out of their proper position. That is what I would check first. ~CA
Old 04-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #15

Another thought, when in the "City Fill" position, and the 12v water pump turned off, and the water hose turned on with pressure, does the water come out of any faucets? If so, that would indicate that the valve handles likely slipped as you shouldn't have any water at the faucets in that scenario. ~CA
Old 04-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #16

As far as the hot water goes, normal should be running water into your water heater to heat the water. Bypass on should be bypassing the water heater.
Enforcer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #17

I figured it out. The filler hose coming from the second diverter knob goes straight to the fresh water tank. I followed it with a coat hanger underneath the RV. Behind an aluminum panel in the wheel well on the driver side the hose is ran with the 3 overflow hoses. It was bent over and zip tied with the tank sensor wires. I pull it out of the zip tie and straighten it out. Tighten the zip tie with just the sensor wires and tested it. Water is flowing perfectly now.

I assume this was done by the factory 12 years ago. The two previous owners must have never used the fresh water tank or pump. Now I need to sanitize the tank. Thank you everyone for you assistance.