Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Strange rumble/resonance

We are travelling across country on I80.
I just sound proofed the cab and it's very quiet now.

However now I can hear a concerning noise louder than before.

I would describe it as a rumbling.
It starts to occur at 64 mph gets louder until , 70 then quiets back down. Looks like the rpm is about 2500 to 3000.

Strangely it does not occur if I coast at those speeds.

It's particularly annoying as I like to run at 65 mph, 70 is a bit to fast for windy I80 and 63 mph is to slow.

Any ideas on what it might be or how to find it?
don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #2

Take a look at the first sticky in the Class C forum named "Sticky: e-450 engine rattle - serpentine belt" as you may be hearing the belt flutter. Also, there were a few reports (but I don't think with the newer Class C's) where the center bearing on the driveshaft would cause something similar and a shim under the bearing resolves that. ~CA
Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks Craig I was thinking about the idler problem but if I speed up the engine while in park I do not hear the rattle sound? I'm likely gonna add the idler anyway.

I did not know about the middle drive shaft problem I'll do some research.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

Some have gotten good results by removing one or both of the shims above the carrier bearing at the front of the rearmost driveshaft. The angles you asked about in the other thread are listed in the link provided in one of the posts in this thread. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nel-70672.html
Old 05-19-2021, 05:08 AM   #5

2X on the post BRUCEG recommended. I had the same "resonance/drone" in my 2020 26DX starting at around 68 mph with all the same associated symptoms. I did the measurements suggested in the post and ended up removing one shim from the center drive shaft pillow bearing. It cut that annoying noise way back. It still there but I really have to listen for it. I was going to remove the second shim but I am satisfied with the results with the one removed. Oh, don't be put off be the title of the post. I was a little but after reading it I found the parts that applied to my RV.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

Ford to fix driveline?

Thanks all.
I have been asked to take it to the Ford dealer when I return.
The Ford dealer will hook up with L&W engineering (the guys who handle the driveline) to do the testing and fix.

I'll update here when complete.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #7

To shim or not to shim....

Here is an update on my rumble/resonance problem.

I found the document for checking the driveline alignment and on it was a # for:

L&W Engineering, Inc.

They evidentially provide Jayco's driveline.

So I got ahold of them and was glad I did. I talked with an engineer for quite a while and he explained the process that they go through for delivering drivelines. BTW his company is across the street from Jayco.

The most important part of the conversation is that he was pretty sure [from my symptoms] that my problem is not the driveline alignment (shims) but a bad front carrier bearing.

A bad bearing in a 2020 rv?? Evidently, they had a batch of NEW bearings that are noisy at certain RPMs. He said that if I cannot feel a vibration vs a noise then it's likely a bad bearing, not an alignment issue. Mine is a noise.

He is sending me a new bearing and instructions for installing it along with driveline angle measurement instructions.

He told me that the bearing is free and they would also pay for someone to install it..... whoa.
I will probably do it myself as I have not found a competent RV driveline mechanic and Ford trucks has a long waiting line.

The best part is that he was extremely accomodating, unlike most RV component manufacturers that I have talked to.

---------
I also bent his ear on how disappointed many of us are in our RV's manufacturing quality and engineering. I told him that I have tried to get ahold of Jayco engineering and was told I can never talk to them. He said he could fix that! If so he would be my hero!

Anyway, I will update my progress here as I get the new bearing and installation is complete.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

That's great information. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure it'll be very helpful to other owners.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #9

Did he mention what time frame the bad batch went to jayco at?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #10

No but I will ask him ....

Old 07-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Watching this thread carefully. I removed a shim 10K miles ago and it seemed to do the trick of eliminating loud noise drone from 66+ mph. I always thought it was very odd I'd have to do such a thing on a brand new vehicle....

Please give us updates of what you find to be true.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #12

Ya me also. I am a little sceptical myself..... I will keep everyone updated.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #13

I would be very interested to see the bad batch carrier bearing vs the new one and would also be interested in the brand that he is recommending. We sell all brands but I feel the Spicer brand is the higher quality. I hope the carrier bearing replacement solves your issue. Keep us updated. Thanks
Old 08-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

Recieved New Bearing

I got the new bearing this week.
There are no markings on it so I do not know any details of what it is.
See pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210829_161152002.jpg   PXL_20210829_161240769.jpg  

Old 08-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #15

That is a Neapco brand which is the cheaper quality! They are good but I would recommend throwing away the flingers and not use them. Also if you do it yourself, mark your driveshaft sections the way they are clocked and reinstall them in the same way they came apart. That includes the end yoke and spline that holds the carrier bearing. Need anything let me know! I would like to see the one you are removing also!
Old 08-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #16

Thanks Don - Looks like you're having a very similar problem to mine - 2021 Jayco 24B/2021 Ford E450. Chassis stretch is 23" by L&W Engineering.

L&W has sent me a new bearing as well. The engineer there said it was very rare to have a problem. Looks like problems with these new coaches are more common. My local driveline shop checked the bearing the that came with my coach and said it was fine, so I'm holding off, and making one change at a time.

I have removed both shims from the center bearing support and front bearing support, but made no difference. Also tried one bearing support shim. Checked all the wheels, and don't see any weights missing.

My next step is to get the tranny looked at by Ford as I notice the vibration in the 3 top gears at various rpms.

I have the 'Vibration Notes' doc from L&W Engineering. Just bought a digital angle meter to check the u joint angles and will keep you updated. My local driveline shop has been in business for 40 years, and thinks the extra center bearing support that L&W welded on top of the OEM Ford bearing support takes the center U joint down too low. I've asked L&W to confirm they installed the correct support, but haven't heard back from them.
Stan
StanCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #17

Jbar,
What do you mean by;"They are good but I would recommend throwing away the flingers and not use them"?
What are the flingers [fingers] ?

Old 08-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #18

StanCrock,

What digital angle meter did you get?

'....thinks the extra center bearing support that L&W welded on top of the OEM Ford bearing support takes the center U joint down too low."

I wondered about that center bearing as well...

Old 08-30-2021, 05:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
Jbar,
What do you mean by;"They are good but I would recommend throwing away the flingers and not use them"?
What are the flingers [fingers] ?
Don the two shields that come with the bearing are for debris that get around the rubber on the bearing! Most times nothing gets close to it but if not installed properly will sometimes cut the rubber and rub on the bearing itself! Good is an ok bearing! Aftermarket sellers use these a lot! Spicer is the one I recommend and if I had it apart that’s what I would ask for! If they are going to let you take it to someone you might ask if they sell the Spicer brand and just buy it and have them put it on! Save the replacement or see if they will swap it.
JbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #20

Don - I got the digital angle meter at my local Harbor Freight store. https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...uge-63615.html
StanCrock is offline   Reply With Quote