Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Catalytic converter stolen

I found out Sunday that someone had cut through the security fence and stole 6 catalytic converters from various motorhomes in our storage area. The cost to me will be $750 plus the cost of labor to install it. My question: what do you do to safeguard your motorhome while it's in storage? This particular lot has barbed wire and cameras. Apparently these converters are easy to take to a scrapyard and get paid. I wonder if it's realistic to mount a motion detector or trail camera on the unit. My other concern is that these people know that the converters will be replaced and can repeat this down the road. The video from the security cameras shows the two individuals, but of course they were wearing dark clothing and masks. Any ideas would be appreciated!
UDFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a recent thread on the subject of storage security that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lot-67756.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Team

If a thief really wants something, they'll find a way to get it, and may be back to get your new ones too. Welding them isn't a deterrent since the invention of cordless saws. I'm sorry you've been a victim, like so many others have, but the only way to catch them is to guard it yourself, not knowing if or when they'll come back (not feasible), or besides calling the police, notify every scrap yard within 100 miles, and ask them to notify the police if someone tries to scrap some converters. The recycler in our area requires a driver's license to be copied, in order to be paid for them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The recycler in our area requires a driver's license to be copied, in order to be paid for them.
Most states do, so obviously the thieves have an underground connection to sell them.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDFlyer View Post
I found out Sunday that someone had cut through the security fence and stole 6 catalytic converters from various motorhomes in our storage area. The cost to me will be $750 plus the cost of labor to install it. My question: what do you do to safeguard your motorhome while it's in storage? This particular lot has barbed wire and cameras. Apparently these converters are easy to take to a scrapyard and get paid. I wonder if it's realistic to mount a motion detector or trail camera on the unit. My other concern is that these people know that the converters will be replaced and can repeat this down the road. The video from the security cameras shows the two individuals, but of course they were wearing dark clothing and masks. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Do you need an annual inspection on your motor home by the State or local authorities in order to renew your license plate? The only reason I ask is because maybe it is not necessary for you to replace it, just to be stolen again. I live in AZ, and do not have to have my vehicles inspected every year because I live in a smaller city with less population and we are exempt for this reason. Just asking. I realize there are smog laws, but enough is enough !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Team

It is a epidemic around my area. Often you hear of 5 or 6 in one neighborhood in an evening. Also they go into used car lots and have a field day at night.

My grandson had one cut off his car while in a gym.

They arrest them but it's low hanging fruit for crooks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Do you need an annual inspection on your motor home by the State or local authorities in order to renew your license plate? The only reason I ask is because maybe it is not necessary for you to replace it, just to be stolen again.
Well... lets hope - Mojave County has been debating the inspection requirement recently... it looks like the folks on the west side of the river have been influencing the council to enact inspections... The reason I choose to get the 5-year renewal now.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

$750 plus a little labor is kinda cheap. Wouldnt your insurance cover it? Does a crook strike the same place twice? Not even a dumb one will. So I'd put another one on it and not worry about it.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
$750 plus a little labor is kinda cheap. Wouldnt your insurance cover it? Does a crook strike the same place twice? Not even a dumb one will. So I'd put another one on it and not worry about it.
Easy target, they'll be back. Have a coworker who uses a park and ride, she lost three catalytic converters in one summer parking there. Know a few others that have lost multiple converters while parked in storage lots.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #10

Barbed wire or cameras won’t stop most determined thieves. But a couple of dobermans or pits would. Maybe talk to the RV yard owner about using a guard dog service? Might be worth the small added monthly cost to you.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #11

Catalytic converter use is a necessary expense to maintain a healthy environment. We shouldn't even consider leaving the cat off our vehicles even if our local ordinances are weak on pollution control issues.

Catalytic converter theft is a real issue, and our large vehicles with big catalysts and good ground clearance are easy targets for a thief with a saw-z-all. A short web search turned up several options that might slow a thief down, or cause them to skip the protected vehicle all together:
1) Hardened steel rods or wire rope clamped around the pipe where the thief would like to saw the cat apart. https://www.catstrap.net/ or https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Converter-Lock
2) Large ventilated panels that are mounted to the frame and reduce or eliminate access to the catalyst area. https://getcatsecurity.com
3) Alarm systems that sound when a catalyst removal is detected.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #12

Haven’t heard of a stolen catalytic convertor in years, but it hasn’t been on the News, guess it’s still happening. Last I heard, they were cutting them off in the mall parking lot as people were shopping.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
Site Team

Platinum and Palladium are high on the precious metals markets right now. That seems to be the driving force behind the uptick in converter thefts. Just a few years ago it was copper theft from construction sights when it was up in the market.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #14

On newer vehicles you need your cat in place or you will have a check engine light. Many years ago they had only oxygen sensors upstream of the cats. Now they have them down stream as well.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #15

Noted that nothing is 100%..including dogs if the thieves brought enough steaks...but trail cameras plus this 12 volt solution

https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproo.../dp/B00W4ZMIP4

should keep all but the most ardent of thieves from your unit. They like darkness. This annoys them away from your unit...especially if they see the trail cam since the photos are no longer infrared, but nice, bright and clear.

I know someone who, once bitten, put a cheap dash cam under the body. It detects motion and click, click, click.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Do you need an annual inspection on your motor home by the State or local authorities in order to renew your license plate? The only reason I ask is because maybe it is not necessary for you to replace it, just to be stolen again. I live in AZ, and do not have to have my vehicles inspected every year because I live in a smaller city with less population and we are exempt for this reason. Just asking. I realize there are smog laws, but enough is enough !!
How do you propose one do a cat delete on a Seneca so the engine runs ok without one? I have no intention of every doing that since I respect the air quality we all breathe.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
How do you propose one do a cat delete on a Seneca so the engine runs ok without one? I have no intention of every doing that since I respect the air quality we all breathe.
Does your Seneca have a Catalytic Converter?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #18

Then the next question is does it have a o2 sensor downstream of the cat?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Then the next question is does it have a o2 sensor downstream of the cat?
Yes because if it is older and only one up stream I would not replace it. I would straight pipe it. The extra pollution put out is probably less than the amount they used over in China to mine and process the precious metals to make the new one.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #20

How does the cat component interface with the component that uses DEF?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote