Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #21

Catalytic converters are on gas units. The thing on diesels are the diesel oxygenation catalyst.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #22

*Oxidation
Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #23

Diesels don't have cats, they have DPF's. [Diesel particulate filters] used during regen to burn off the soot the fuel provides. The introduction of DEF into the exhaust neutralizes the NOx.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #24

They have doc (diesel oxidation catalysts this converts diesel fuel to heat) dpf (traps soot during regen it is burnt changing it to ash)scr (nox is converted using the urea from def to ammonia this reacts to nox creating water, nitrogen and some left over ammonia)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
Yes because if it is older and only one up stream I would not replace it. I would straight pipe it. The extra pollution put out is probably less than the amount they used over in China to mine and process the precious metals to make the new one.
The world's sources of Platinum Group Metals (in order of abundance) are: South Africa, Russia, Canada, Zimbabwe, and the United States. Bashing China is not warranted in this case.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #26

This is why i made sure before i bought a new motorhome i had room to park at home with security camera, a great guard dog and staying armed and ready. But on an even better note we should be moved out of Southern California and i to a very rural area in a much further north state where i can open carry also so let them try.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #27

"...especially if they see the trail cam since the photos are no longer infrared, but nice, bright and clear."

Wouldn't they just steal the trail cam?
Velz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #28

"...where i can open carry also so let them try"

I live in Oregon (open carry). I don't stand guard 24/7, so what does open carry have to do with it?
Velz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velz View Post
"...especially if they see the trail cam since the photos are no longer infrared, but nice, bright and clear."

Wouldn't they just steal the trail cam?
As I said in my orig post, nothing is 100% effective. But doing nothing is 100% giving the thieves the upper hand.

A trail cam is just about the easiest thing to make nearly invisible there is. Put them high, put them low....very few even think to look for them. We use them on construction sites also. There are cams that are just like the "ring" doorbell devices that upload photos automatically, so stealing a cam doesn't really guarantee a thief any anonymity if that's the type being used.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #30

“Harden your target”

I’ve been robbed, broken into and vandalized while living in NY. I no longer live there, thank god, I now have cameras and alarms on everything I own. I don’t leave anything in plain site anymore! Secure your possessions and Make your security pronounced so that thieves go for the easy target and not yours. So far it’s been working for me.

Welding the cat is a good idea, but as others have said not fool proof. Some people, (the scum of the earth), are more desperate then ever!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #31
SUP

Keep it parked at your house
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #32

The catalytic converters on a diesel are different, and I am not sure that they have the same theft rate (maybe so). In any case, the DEF is sprayed as a fine mist upstream of a diesel catalytic converter and that fluid is a "base" that neutralizes the "acid" remnants in the diesel engine's exhaust. The exhaust acid comes from sulphur in the fuel which in part is why most all diesel fuel now is low sulphur. Other than the computer for the DEF being unhappy with you, no engine damage would occur if you run out of DEF, but the exhaust acid would not be neutralized. Most diesels DEF systems will allow you to go further but with limited power, so you have to keep the DEF in the DEF tank to keep the system happy. ~CA
Old 01-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Barbed wire or cameras won’t stop most determined thieves. But a couple of dobermans or pits would. Maybe talk to the RV yard owner about using a guard dog service? Might be worth the small added monthly cost to you.

We have our motorhome stored at home (2 acres) behind a 4' chain link fence. No problems so far. Oh yes, we have a Doberman and 2 Shepherds on premises, also a 9 camera security system. They won't let anyone in.
Ricky555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #34

As a thought, I suppose one could purchase an electric fence charger and hide it out of sight, connect one side to a ground rod and the other side to the chassis. That would be a fun surprise to any thief... be sure you turn it off though before you enter the RV again.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Easy target, they'll be back. Have a coworker who uses a park and ride, she lost three catalytic converters in one summer parking there. Know a few others that have lost multiple converters while parked in storage lots.
I have seen many generics that fit the pipe size for 250 dollars. Just a thought have a welding shop/muffler shop make flanges on both sides of the cat and remove it while in storage. A battery impact could have it off or on in 5 minutes.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The catalytic converters on a diesel are different, and I am not sure that they have the same theft rate (maybe so). In any case, the DEF is sprayed as a fine mist upstream of a diesel catalytic converter and that fluid is a "base" that neutralizes the "acid" remnants in the diesel engine's exhaust. The exhaust acid comes from sulphur in the fuel which in part is why most all diesel fuel now is low sulphur. Other than the computer for the DEF being unhappy with you, no engine damage would occur if you run out of DEF, but the exhaust acid would not be neutralized. Most diesels DEF systems will allow you to go further but with limited power, so you have to keep the DEF in the DEF tank to keep the system happy. ~CA
The def is used to lower Nox. Check post #24
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
The def is used to lower Nox. Check post #24
Thanks, I saw that after I made my comment. My phone showed me page 1 and I had missed page 2 with your detailed information. ~CA
Old 01-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #38

No problem. I work with these systems all the time and still do not fully understand it. I think you need a chemical engineering degree to understand all the reactions that are happening with them.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #39

I’ve seen several deterrents from a device called a CatClamp (basically aircraft grade cable wrapped around the converter and frame), to fabricating a rebar cage to weld to the frame, to engraving your VIN and phone number on it. Probably the easiest idea was to contact your local Midas or Meineke muffler shop and ask them what solution they would have (guarantee that you wouldn’t be the first to ask).
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #40

Happening up here in Canada too. We'd left our MH in storage longer than usual thanks to Covid and ours was cut out, as well as the one beside us. Tow truck driver told me we were the 15th that month (June).
We had to find a new storage facility for this winter with better security, hoping not to repeat because we're basically powerless to prevent it happening.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote