Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #41

They have a thing called CCM cat security but only for Prius. If a person went to a medal shop and had them cut a thick piece of aluminum to go across the frame and screw and rivet it, no one would be able to get to the cat. They also recommend welding the cat to the frame. They have a video on YouTube where they tried 3 different protection devices and CCM cat security was the only one that worked completely
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDFlyer View Post
I found out Sunday that someone had cut through the security fence and stole 6 catalytic converters from various motorhomes in our storage area. The cost to me will be $750 plus the cost of labor to install it. My question: what do you do to safeguard your motorhome while it's in storage? This particular lot has barbed wire and cameras. Apparently these converters are easy to take to a scrapyard and get paid. I wonder if it's realistic to mount a motion detector or trail camera on the unit. My other concern is that these people know that the converters will be replaced and can repeat this down the road. The video from the security cameras shows the two individuals, but of course they were wearing dark clothing and masks. Any ideas would be appreciated!
At least it's covered by insurance
Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #43

Mine was stolen recently while my rig was being worked on for unrelated issues. Repair shop installed (welded) a "universal" replacement, but installed with the O2 bung on the upstream end (). Something else for me to fix, but I can and will do it myself.

The problem with the Ford chassis is that the catalytic converters are SUPER easy to remove, and you can do it virtually silently if you want; it's 4 bolts on the flanges, and you're gone. The OEM replacement is ~$850 not including installation, but installation isn't really a problem since it's just 4 bolts. Insurance has $1,000 deductible. The a-holes that stole mine were nice enough to unclip the wiring harness for the O2 sensor instead of clipping the wires though, so at least that's something.

But if the thief didn't care about noise, they could saw one out in a matter of seconds, clip the O2 sensor and be gone.

My dad used to run fleets of rental commercial vehicles. In areas where Cat theft was high, they literally had blocks installed in the parking lots where they would pull the trucks over them so you couldn't get under the trucks to take out the Cats. He called them "graveyards". A very elegant solution IMO.

The replacement cat isn't very expensive or desirable though, so I doubt I have a problem again.

As for "security", I have my rig parked in a gated lot that requires code access in-bound AND out-bound, has high fence with razor-wire topper as well as cameras. Just last week we discovered that someone tried to pop our lock cylinders out to gain access to our camper. They failed, but the lock cylinders are damaged and need to be replaced. If I could store my rig on my home lot, I would be able to secure it better, but lot restrictions say I can't store it at home (yet, I'm going to lobby for a change). The biggest problem is that our rig often stays stored for many weeks at a time. So by the time I discover something has happened, it could have happened a LONG time ago...

I'm considering alternative security options for my rig...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post

A trail cam is just about the easiest thing to make nearly invisible there is. Put them high, put them low....very few even think to look for them. We use them on construction sites also. There are cams that are just like the "ring" doorbell devices that upload photos automatically, so stealing a cam doesn't really guarantee a thief any anonymity if that's the type being used.
I have a few friends with various trail cams. One has trespasser problems on his rural vacation property. He has multiple trail cams. He has a few that are a little more noticeable, others that you would not see them unless you physically tripped on them. He uses lithium AA batteries and gets a bit over 2 years on a set of batteries. He has a spare set of memory cards, so he just swaps out cards periodically, and sees what they pick up. He has a few setup on the road into his place, just to get license plate numbers, and faces of people who walk in.

Another buddy has a trail camera with cellular connection. He keeps it on his hunting land. He has to change out his batteries more often. I don't recall how frequently. He has it setup, so every time it takes a picture he gets a text/email.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #45

I think the idea of a trail camera with cellular connection would be great. But everything I read says most of them wear masks. What I've read they say to use a shock sensor on an alarm to notify the owner
Old 01-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
How does the cat component interface with the component that uses DEF?
Its fairly simple> The engine exhaust gas exits the engine and runs through a particle filter first. Then the gas enters the next treatment stage called the decomposition reactor where the dosing injector injects the DEF when command by the PCM. The last stage is the SCR or Selective Catalyst Reduction converter. Attached to the particle filter and SCR are thermocouples and pressure transducers that monitor converter temps and differential pressures. As the PCM sees pressure and temp deltas increase it fires the dosing injector sending DEF fluid into the decomp reactor and into the SCR. This heats up the SCR to burn off ash and soot in order to control Nox output, this is also called regeneration. Both the Particle filter and SCR contain catalyst with exotic metals making them targets for thieves.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #47

The doc provides the heat necessary by using diesel. Either by injecting on the exhaust stroke or with a dedicated injector in the exhaust down stream of the turbo. The def provides no heat. It is converted to ammonia in the decomposition tube. This creates a chemical reaction inside the scr catalyst to lower nox. By the time the exhaust enters the scr the soot has already been collected by the dpf.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #48

I must say it's distressing to see how many people are willing to spit in the punch bowl. RV camping isn't cheap.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #49

Catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDFlyer View Post
I found out Sunday that someone had cut through the security fence and stole 6 catalytic converters from various motorhomes in our storage area. The cost to me will be $750 plus the cost of labor to install it. My question: what do you do to safeguard your motorhome while it's in storage? This particular lot has barbed wire and cameras. Apparently these converters are easy to take to a scrapyard and get paid. I wonder if it's realistic to mount a motion detector or trail camera on the unit. My other concern is that these people know that the converters will be replaced and can repeat this down the road. The video from the security cameras shows the two individuals, but of course they were wearing dark clothing and masks. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Ours was just stolen as well from storage facility along with 3 others. So much for their on site security and we are paying 700 deductible
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #50

I have worked on vehicle gates and gate operators for 20 years now. My, how time flies when you're having fun. Legal dept said we can't use the word security.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #51

We parked ours on a "quiet" side street while we hosted a Boondockers Welcome guest for 3 nights..started the motorhome to move it back in the yard and it sounded ferocious!. Catalytic converter gone!. We have withdrawn as a host for Boondockers Welcome and will ALWAYS be parking in our gated locked yard. How foolish of us!.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #52

Hence why we are moving to a very rural country place where our rig and trailer will have their own locked garage with hook-ups if needed.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Criminals think outside the NORM - its Free (The Norm pays for everything but want it for Free)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #54

A Good thing to do is have a steel rod welded across converter connecting from exhaust manifold outlet area to muffler. This way they have to remove the entire length of exhaust system to get the CAT. A welded steel rod also prevents a typical pipe cutter tool from being able to slice through the thinner exhaust pipe material. Some exhaust /muffler shops will do this for you. They also sell bolts for the exhaust manifold outlet pipe that needs a special socket to remove them, similar to the ones that they sell to prevent tire lug nuts from being removed.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
A Good thing to do is have a steel rod welded across converter connecting from exhaust manifold outlet area to muffler. This way they have to remove the entire length of exhaust system to get the CAT. A welded steel rod also prevents a typical pipe cutter tool from being able to slice through the thinner exhaust pipe material. Some exhaust /muffler shops will do this for you. They also sell bolts for the exhaust manifold outlet pipe that needs a special socket to remove them, similar to the ones that they sell to prevent tire lug nuts from being removed.
That's a great idea but I cut through large steel rod all the time with my battery grinder with a cut off wheel. The technology we have today helps the criminals as much as us. I even thought what if a rod was covered with a pipe the pipe would spin and not cut but they could just cut both ends off or hold the spinning pipe with a pair of vice grips or a pair of channel locks. exploding dye packs or Silver nitrate gets on them they turn black in sunlight. I'm not sure if anything will work. If we caught them it's probably against the law to shoot them unless they shoot you first and then it's too late. They just passed new laws, lets put it this way they are enforcing the laws in our town now that no rv, boat or utility trailer can be parked in the driveway. No rv, boat or utility trailer over 35 feet and all the towns around us are the same when I looked it up, but some have a limit of 20 feet long also only one of the above. No trailer and a camper or boat or motorhome. If you don't piss off your neighbor there probably won't be a problem
Old 02-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That's a great idea but I cut through large steel rod all the time with my battery grinder with a cut off wheel. The technology we have today helps the criminals as much as us. I even thought what if a rod was covered with a pipe the pipe would spin and not cut but they could just cut both ends off or hold the spinning pipe with a pair of vice grips or a pair of channel locks. exploding dye packs or Silver nitrate gets on them they turn black in sunlight. I'm not sure if anything will work. If we caught them it's probably against the law to shoot them unless they shoot you first and then it's too late. They just passed new laws, lets put it this way they are enforcing the laws in our town now that no rv, boat or utility trailer can be parked in the driveway. No rv, boat or utility trailer over 35 feet and all the towns around us are the same when I looked it up, but some have a limit of 20 feet long also only one of the above. No trailer and a camper or boat or motorhome. If you don't piss off your neighbor there probably won't be a problem
"there outa be a law". The other way is to have VIN #'s engraved into the cat & if they are removed than make it a felony to own or sell similar to what firearms have.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #57

Imagine if all vehicles are Electric, which they will be one day. The battery packs are usually under the floors. That would be a huge valuable theft item when these slimmer's figure out how to get them without being electrocuted.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #58

Maybe we need law enforcement to treat the junk yards/recyclers/purchasers of the stolen catalytic converters the same way pawn shops and gun shops are treated - i.e. require a photo i.d. from the "seller", require a photo be taken of the transaction, log of units purchased with details. I normally am against making more new laws vs. enforcing the ones that we already have, but the people purchasing these "cut-outs" HAVE to know something's not right. In my opinion, some of them are enabling this activity to occur by turning a "blind eye" and purchasing obviously stolen merchandise.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #59

Quote:
"there outa be a law". The other way is to have VIN #'s engraved into the cat & if they are removed than make it a felony to own or sell similar to what firearms have.
because there isn't an underground market for stolen firearms????
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Imagine if all vehicles are Electric, which they will be one day. The battery packs are usually under the floors. That would be a huge valuable theft item when these slimmer's figure out how to get them without being electrocuted.

they won't be... there aren't enough rare earth element resources to accommodate the demand.. or they will but it will cost you 300k for a batt car... that goes 300 miles per charge... you think oil is "a limited" resource... go take a look at the rare earth elements... called rare because they are and very finite...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote