Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Changing out the OEM Thetford toilet

Has anyone pulled the plastic Thetford throne and replaced it with a Dometic porcelain 310 or 320?

I did last week. So much nicer and 2" taller. Fits perfect. And I added a bidet to the mix (no pun intended).

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	63971[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1716.jpg  

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #2

I have been thinking about doing the same thing! We have that exact same bidet at home and love it. I was wondering if it would fit on any RV toilets and now I know!

Did you add a water shut off valve when you installed everything? Any issues with the bowl getting too full when you use the bidet? do you need to "courtesy flush"?
metallitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #3

First off - this is NOT a quick switch from the Thetford to the Dometic. It took me sawing out some of the utility raceway to make room for additional plumbing. The two toilets have their water inlets in very different locations and you will be adding some flex tubing to the OEM pex to accommodate the Dometic. Just want you to know it is not plug and play.

Now the good part - the Dometic 310 actually sits closer to the back wall and gives you more leg room on or off the throne. Having porcelain with rim cleaning holes is very good. The Dometic lid is a 'soft drop' and is removable making the bidet install possible in the first place. For anyone who has not used a residential bidet - once you doo (pun) you will want one for your motorcoach or travel trailer.

Filling up the bowl while using the bidet would be next to impossible unless you are spending a lot of time in the wash process. The bowl is huge. The bidet adds negligible water to the bowl level. What it does do is lower the amount of expensive RV tissue you will use and then drop into the black tank. Without tissue you don't have clogs and the need for harsh chemicals.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 10-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

Anyone swapped a thetford for a porcelain thetford, might make things more plug and play?

Just curious.
JayFlightMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

I'm not sure Thetford makes one. I didn't find any on Amazon. Dometic seemed to be the most prevalent. But if the inlet is in the same spot it would a cake walk.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 10-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

Here ya go!

https://www.campingworld.com/aqua-ma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe not quite the same as the Dometic.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
First off - this is NOT a quick switch from the Thetford to the Dometic. It took me sawing out some of the utility raceway to make room for additional plumbing. The two toilets have their water inlets in very different locations and you will be adding some flex tubing to the OEM pex to accommodate the Dometic. Just want you to know it is not plug and play.

Now the good part - the Dometic 310 actually sits closer to the back wall and gives you more leg room on or off the throne. Having porcelain with rim cleaning holes is very good. The Dometic lid is a 'soft drop' and is removable making the bidet install possible in the first place. For anyone who has not used a residential bidet - once you doo (pun) you will want one for your motorcoach or travel trailer.

Filling up the bowl while using the bidet would be next to impossible unless you are spending a lot of time in the wash process. The bowl is huge. The bidet adds negligible water to the bowl level. What it does do is lower the amount of expensive RV tissue you will use and then drop into the black tank. Without tissue you don't have clogs and the need for harsh chemicals.
Oh I wasnt expecting plug & play. I just installed a shutoff valve and a 20" flex hose when I replaced the thetford water valve. I assume at most the floor flange would also need to be replaced, but again, shouldn't be that bog of a deal.
metallitera is offline   Reply With Quote