Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

Class C spare tire

I own a 2019 Entegra Odyssey 24 B. I would like to carry a spare tire. Anybody out there carrying a spare, and if so, where did you mount it and how?

Thanks
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

we carry a spare tire only no rim. keep it in plastic bag in the cab overhead bunk. both retired ,just the two of us.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

We carry a spare mounted on a rim in the rear storage compartment. However I do intend on installing some type of rack beneath the chassis or perhaps take the easy way out and buy a Roadmaster tire carrier.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We carry a spare mounted on a rim in the rear storage compartment. However I do intend on installing some type of rack beneath the chassis or perhaps take the easy way out and buy a Roadmaster tire carrier.
I wish I had the space in my outside storage, but the 24B is somewhat limited in outdoor storage
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we carry a spare tire only no rim. keep it in plastic bag in the cab overhead bunk. both retired ,just the two of us.
Not a bad idea. Got to look into that as we're the same, two and retirees.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

I had considered that, but the only time that I have used roadside assistance, the truck that showed up was not equipped to remove a tire from a rim and then place a new tire on that rim. They simply had the tools to remove my flat from my travel trailer and replace it with a rim and tire that I had in my possession.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

spare

Here what I did on my 24B, found a rim on Ebay and purchased a tire from Walmart .
not towing a car at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG2258.jpg   IMAG2260.jpg  
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

OK, who knows the answer... are all 6 rims on the 24B the same ones? If you blow an inside rear tire, is it the same as a front rim? Can the same rim/tire be used in all 6 areas?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsite View Post
Here what I did on my 24B, found a rim on Ebay and purchased a tire from Walmart .
not towing a car at this time.
That is exactly what I want, please tell us where you found that carrier
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
OK, who knows the answer... are all 6 rims on the 24B the same ones? If you blow an inside rear tire, is it the same as a front rim? Can the same rim/tire be used in all 6 areas?
I tried to investigate this a while back and I feel confident that the answer is yes, but need confirmation from someone who knows for sure. I would like to buy a rim but not sure where to find one. I looked a while back on another thread but it was a dead link. My understanding is that purchasing from a dealer is a no go unless you enjoy being severely abused.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
That is exactly what I want, please tell us where you found that carrier

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hi.../dp/B0009YIE1O
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #12

We have a 29xk and plenty of room under rear frame that i mounted a complete spare
Attached Thumbnails
6E58D344-D79A-4860-BB9C-7958F3DCB276.jpg  
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

That is a nice clean look. What tire mount did you use? Did it bolt to the frame or did you have it welded on? Did you have to add any metal pieces to span the chassis beams to accept a tire carrier?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #14

I believe it was called a BAL retract a spare tire carrier. I was able to squeeze it above frame and between rear cargo floor board. Also it was too long for frame so i shortened it and light tig welds to frame
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #15

Our 2009 Greyhawk came with a spare on a bumper mounted Tire Carrier. With the tire on the bumper, we could not put 4 bikes on our hitch mounted 4 Bike Carrier so we moved the spare tire under the rear bed storage.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Waiting for delivery of my 2020 Entegra Accolade 37K in late January. Does anyone think that a mounted spare tire & rim (22.5) would fit under the king size bed?
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #17

spare tire

All tires are interchangeable. If you get a flat on the back just get it removed and drive to the tire shop. If a front one get one of the back ones installed. I have had one flat in 10 years and this is how I handled it.
gypsiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #18

I looked at all the market options but ultimately didn't like or couldn't get one that fit our 2015 29MV. The hitch types are expensive and take away from the already limited tongue weight... and we pull a towed so that's not a good option. We are out in the middle of nowhere often so no cell service (even with a booster) is common. Roadside assistance is only useful to me if they have to tow it. I've had this done once with a motor issue thanks to mice that had build an entire city in/on my motor during storage... that sucked! literally, it sucked their nest thru the top of the motor... That tow took about 4 hours to get there and hook us up and we were in the middle of Boise Idaho... not remote at all. Can't even imagine if we were in death valley or Canada or name your favorite remote boondocking spot. A tire change is not great and that's made worse with dually tires, but it still doesn't take as long as getting a roadside guy there to do the work.

So I bought a spare rim and good used tire. Had Les Swab mount it up for me and we carried in the back of the towed for a season while I worked out how I was going to put it on the MH. I carry a 20 ton bottle jack and some 2x10 pieces cut to fit in the storage bins on driver side box. The leveling system can lift the entire RV but at an angle on the side of a highway that might not be an option. I also carry all the tools needed to put a tire on and off. That includes a pry bar/rubber hammer for the covers, a breaker bar, extension, sockets and heavy cordless impact driver by Dewalt that doubles as a general drill/driver for lighter jobs. Other that being heavy, changing these (other than inside dually) isn't really that hard. And if you have all the tools and tire, having someone help you becomes an easy option if the tire is too big for you alone. The tire/wheel combo is around 80 pounds so... good work out for sure.

I ended up building my own spare mount after looking at a few fab jobs others had done. There is plenty of room between the frame rails and between the holding tank and rear bumper. Once hanging in place, it sits high enough not to be a drag problem on curbs or other obstacles. The impact driver cranks it up and down like a pickup spare tire on a cable. By adding a couple bumpers I made out of spare 1x8 and heavy rubber pad it cranks up tight and holds still while driving. It's an easy design to build and operate. I added safety chains so if the cable racket failed the tire can't fall and bounce around destroying everything back there before I get stopped.

Parts included: 2 pieces of Unistrut that span the top of the frame rails plus about 2", Unistrut clamps, a cable ratchet from pickup spare tire, small 3/8" socket that its on ratchet crank point, 3/8 chain, 2 large eyebolts, add-a-link or clevis and small piece of 1/4" flat iron or aluminum about 2"x 10". All this can be pickup locally or off Amazon. I welded a couple pieces but other than the socket, you could bolt this together easily. You could skip the socket adapter and just use the crank rod like a normal pickup.

Hopefully the pics can be posted here. I have a couple short vids I shot but not sure if they can go here. After a season and a half of travel (including almost 2 month trip thru PNW and Canada) it hasn't budged and is a good piece of mind.

If you want more info, shoot me a note and I'll give you more details and pics/vids of how I approached this problem the factory should have fixed.

Safe travels.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #19

I think I might like this idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiebob View Post
All tires are interchangeable. If you get a flat on the back just get it removed and drive to the tire shop. If a front one get one of the back ones installed. I have had one flat in 10 years and this is how I handled it.

This may work. The only concern I would have is driving on a single rear tire. How much weight can one tire support? In an ideal situation, you should only have to drive a short distance, but you may not always have that luxury.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #20

29MV spare fab job

Hopefully the pics show up here to the description I wrote...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3899.jpg   IMG_3921.jpg   IMG_3917.jpg   IMG_3912.jpg