Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #1

Cost setup to flat tow 2013 Ford edge

I have a jayco greyhawk 31f and thinking of flat towing my 2013 Ford edge. Does anyone have an idea what the cost is and what items would be needed? I was quoted between $4,000-5,000! Seems like alot. Any feedback greatly appreciated
JaycoBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBP View Post
I have a jayco greyhawk 31f and thinking of flat towing my 2013 Ford edge. Does anyone have an idea what the cost is and what items would be needed? I was quoted between $4,000-5,000! Seems like alot. Any feedback greatly appreciated
If it's automatic, you need a driveshaft disconnect, tow plates, a device to activate the brakes, a tow bar w/accessories..... I just priced it out and you're pretty accurate at between 4 and 5k.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #3

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #4

just spent $4000.00 to get my nissan frontier set up for flat towing. so that sounds about right.

flat towing is nice. went with the blueox patriot 3 set up.
flat towing 2005 nissan frontier 4x4, 6 speed.
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #5

What engine's in the Edge?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:07 PM   #6

3.5L v6
Old 05-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBP View Post
3.5L v6
That'll work.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #8

Yup $4000 is about right for everything needed
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #9

This thread is why I tow a trailer!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff

I’d love a pusher and a flat tow. However, I had no idea it cost that much to get a vehicle setup for this.

Is this coat similar for the people towing a wrangler or more expensive due to the vehicle type?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I’d love a pusher and a flat tow. However, I had no idea it cost that much to get a vehicle setup for this.

Is this coat similar for the people towing a wrangler or more expensive due to the vehicle type?
No, they don't need the drive shaft disconnect, which installed runs in the neighborhood of $1500.00 ( about $1100.00 six months ago). That's if you get someone who is going to rebalance the shaft. Many manual shift vehicles can be flat towed, Jeep probably being the most common, however you have to be careful, some can't, including some jeep models. Some automatic transmission Saturn's can be flat towed, ( w/o disc. shaft) have to make sure however they don't have the CVT automatic trans. I'm sure someone on here can link you to the flat towing guide..
Old 05-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderworks View Post
just spent $4000.00 to get my nissan frontier set up for flat towing. so that sounds about right.

flat towing is nice. went with the blueox patriot 3 set up.
Frontier is what I considered rigging out, mine is a pro 4x and already weighs 4700 lbs. even though the specs say about 4300.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post

Wow, yeah I had no ideal that it would cost this either, I'm trying to decide to flat tow or dolly tow and it beginning to look like I might be dolly towing.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Wow, yeah I had no ideal that it would cost this either, I'm trying to decide to flat tow or dolly tow and it beginning to look like I might be dolly towing.
I use a tow dolly pulling a Honda pilot it's a fairly heavy vehicle, but it tows well behind my Greyhawk 29 MV. I have towed it several thousand miles through flat lands and through the mountains with no issues. That said, follow all the safety recommendations for your particular dolly and carry a spare set of straps and a spare tire.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Don't leave out the trailer option... It allows you to take ANY vehicle you wish, You can use Reverse in your motorhome to back up anywhere and you don't need to wire special stuff to tow it, you don't need a special suplemental braking system and you can haul just about anything else AND YOUR TOAD on the same trailer. A good trailer is about 2/3's of the cost of all the stuff you will need to install on your toad... Lets review that list:
Base-Plate,
Basic Wiring harness,
Tow Bar,
Supplemental Braking System (SBS),
Wiring for the SBS,
Wiring for the Ignition Lockout,
TOAD Wiring harness adapter for the lights,

... and maybe much more depending on the toad and the braking system of your toad.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
Amen... and you can tow just about anything you want... Just pick which vechicle you want to bring on the trip... It is ready RIGHT NOW!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:08 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Don't leave out the trailer option... It allows you to take ANY vehicle you wish, You can use Reverse in your motorhome to back up anywhere and you don't need to wire special stuff to tow it, you don't need a special suplemental braking system and you can haul just about anything else AND YOUR TOAD on the same trailer. A good trailer is about 2/3's of the cost of all the stuff you will need to install on your toad... Lets review that list:
Base-Plate,
Basic Wiring harness,
Tow Bar,
Supplemental Braking System (SBS),
Wiring for the SBS,
Wiring for the Ignition Lockout,
TOAD Wiring harness adapter for the lights,

... and maybe much more depending on the toad and the braking system of your toad.....

Amen... and you can tow just about anything you want... Just pick which vechicle you want to bring on the trip... It is ready RIGHT NOW!
I've concluded I'm going with a trailer, the major downside being what to do with it at the campsite. I'm going to tow an Outback and going to install a receiver hitch so I can move the trailer. Most campgrounds have a common area anyway, so I'll just park it and boot it 'til we load out. As you say one can carry other things on the trailer and you can use it as a utility trailer or in my case maybe go into the moving business so I can afford to buy a tank of gas.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #17

We are thinking about a small motorcycle that mounts on receiver hitch in the air!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #18

I just did my 13 edge. Install was by myself. All my major parts off buy sell sites. Total blue ox system. Prices in CND. Tow bar (alladin) $350 + $30 for rebuild kit, brake was $1000, curt plug and play wiring $135, and charge line $55. My tow bar got really lucky on brand new for $350. With the edge if you do dolly tow then only can on the FWD have to trailer tow the awd or be four down. Took me about 5 hrs to do. Was quoted over $5k for a shop to supply and install. Putting the car on the trailer defeated the purpose of moving away from a fifth wheel to a motorhome, a lot shorter and more options for sites. Used to travel with a 355mbqs…
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
No, they don't need the drive shaft disconnect, which installed runs in the neighborhood of $1500.00 ( about $1100.00 six months ago). That's if you get someone who is going to rebalance the shaft. Many manual shift vehicles can be flat towed, Jeep probably being the most common, however you have to be careful, some can't, including some jeep models. Some automatic transmission Saturn's can be flat towed, ( w/o disc. shaft) have to make sure however they don't have the CVT automatic trans. I'm sure someone on here can link you to the flat towing guide..
I tow a Jeep Wrangler 4WD. I use an NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar. I installed tow bar and baseplate my $2k with everything.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #20

That's why I had a friend build me a 18' trailer to haul my Mini. Cheaper, safer and quicker.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote