Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #21

Designer

I had this issue on my motorhome last year, ended up just doing away with the solenoid and there actually was a fused wire between it and the inverter. Both of those are now gone and if I have an issue it will be battery, breaker or fuse...... nothing in between...
Sn33kR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:29 PM   #22

I am almost certain you have a ground issue of some sort. MY 195RB was exhibiting strange DC power anomalies until I discovered a bad ground underneath the trailer. The head popped off the screw holding a ground wire to the frame. Drove me nuts till I found it. Hope you can make it out from the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
20190614_230614.jpg  
DSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Did you check the battery voltage with a digital meter? Then, did you check to see if your converter is charging the battery?
I'm so glad to finally be able to write a ending to this story. So it turns out that pretty much, NO, ALL the Cables from the charge controller, batteries, inverter. All were totally UNDER sized. It cost me a little to find out but luckily nothing was damaged. I almost cried tears of joy when my wife was able to use the microwave while running off the inverter. HAPPY DAYS

Thanks everyone for your advise and input.
Ron, Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Do you have a Converter and an Inverter? OR do you have an Inverter Charger.

If converter Check the 2 40 a "Reverse Polairty" fuses. Check for an Inline resetable fuse close to then battery.

Is your "battery Disconnect" switch on?
I'm so glad to finally be able to write a ending to this story. So it turns out that pretty much, NO, ALL the Cables from the charge controller, batteries, inverter. All were totally UNDER sized. It cost me a little to find out but luckily nothing was damaged. I almost cried tears of joy when my wife was able to use the microwave while running off the inverter. HAPPY DAYS

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There is the battery disconnect relay which is what you control with the switch by the door. It is usually in the battery compartment, check and see if those connections are corroded. Relay may have failed too. Could also be a corroded ground.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
You're getting some very good advice from Grumpy, Cavie and others. What I wonder about is, checking battery voltage. Are you absolutely positive you're not measuring charging voltage from the solor panels. If the batteries really are at 13 plus volts then tracing the connections/voltage down stream from the batteries then you know what the problem is not. The bad 'ground' is a strong maybe. Calling that side ground is a serious misnomer, it's not a ground, it's the negative side of a two sided loop. The Ford type solenoid is a 12 VDC switch who's negative side is the case and screws holding it to the frame of the truck. I doubt if it's the case here but I've seen corrosion between a Ford solenoid and it's mounting prevent cranking. You got good advice on how to test the solenoid but remember it's a high amperage 12 VDC switch triggered by a low amperage 12 VDC switch and remeber, a little corrosion can stop a mighty motor home.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Control View Post
Ron - Maybe you have solved this problem by now. I'm a little late to the party. I have a Greyhawk 29ME. There is a breaker on the AC panel dedicated to the converter. If that breaker is flipped, it will not generate 12VDC to any DC systems or charge the battery.

I also replaced my house battery with a Lithium. And at the same time, I replaced the converter to properly charge the Lithium. Did you replace the converter with a Lithium-friendly unit? Was it a like-for-like conversion, so all connections swapped over?

Just thinking of possibilities. We have similar electrical setups.

Regards,

Roger

Old 08-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt View Post
I am almost certain you have a ground issue of some sort. MY 195RB was exhibiting strange DC power anomalies until I discovered a bad ground underneath the trailer. The head popped off the screw holding a ground wire to the frame. Drove me nuts till I found it. Hope you can make it out from the picture.