Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Extended stay propane

On my 2020 Jayco Melbourne there is a propane quick disconnect. Is it possible to backfeed from an external tank into the onboard propane tank to extend the stay capacity?
VMProfBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

Extended stay propane

Google “extend-a- stay” and you’ll find lots of choices. It attaches between your propane tank and regulator.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMProfBob View Post
On my 2020 Jayco Melbourne there is a propane quick disconnect. Is it possible to backfeed from an external tank into the onboard propane tank to extend the stay capacity?
There is but I think what you may be seeing is a quick disconnect to use for your Bar-B-Q or other such items. That connection passes through the regulator so you would need to remove the regulator from the appliance you plan to connect to it.

The “extended stay” mentioned is installed to the line running out of your propane tank and gives you alternative including hooking to and running from an external propane tank.

Go to Amazon and search extended stay. You will see the item you need. It is simple to install.

There was just another thread with this same info in it if you search in the gold bar at the top of the page.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

To clarify an answer to the ops question, I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t back feed through the BBQ connection. Install the extended stay suggested parts where your current tanks connect to the propane system.

Do others agree?
Old 05-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
To clarify an answer to the ops question, I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t back feed through the BBQ connection. Install the extended stay suggested parts where your current tanks connect to the propane system.

Do others agree?
Yes. I’m not even sure you could back feed because it would have to go back through the regulator and I don’t think that is possible.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #6

Extend-a-stay

You can use to supply a propane appliance or use an external tank to supply propane to the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Extenda-Stay.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #7

No it does not need to go back through regulator. Here is the brief diagram and *I think* it should work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	prop.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	71725

"--regulator -- tank B" is what OP want to add so it can back feed RV such that appliances will get propane from tank B, not from RV tank. Of course it need cut RV tank by turn the valve to off.
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #8
CAG

“I think it should work” could also blow up the entire rig.

Since the easiest solution is to add the “extended stay” why try to back feed propane to the tank via the regulator (it got there that route so it has to go back that route but it is unlikely to pass back that way due to the regulator) do you really think it is safe to fill a propane tank that way?

As I suggested. The OP can add the extended stay and solve his problem without blowing up the RV park.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
“I think it should work” could also blow up the entire rig.

Since the easiest solution is to add the “extended stay” why try to back feed propane to the tank via the regulator (it got there that route so it has to go back that route but it is unlikely to pass back that way due to the regulator) do you really think it is safe to fill a propane tank that way?

As I suggested. The OP can add the extended stay and solve his problem without blowing up the RV park.
You didn't read my words and diagram at all.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuan View Post
You didn't read my words and diagram at all.
I did and sorry it makes no logical sense.And that is what the extended stay if for.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
I did and sorry it makes no logical sense.And that is what the extended stay if for.

x2.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
May I know which part makes no logical sense?
Click image for larger version

Name:	flow.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	71726
Old 05-23-2021, 11:31 PM   #13

Extend a stay is a great device.

Can you backfeed through the propane quick connect, yes. If your on board tank is turned off, then a 20# tank could be connected. Big thing you must do is have the correct propane regulator at the freestanding 20# tank. It must be regulated to the correct pressure before it is introduced into the distribution lines.

The extends stay give a person the right tools to do the job safety every time without much thought.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuan View Post
May I know which part makes no logical sense?
Attachment 71726
What you are describing is the equivalent of backfeeding your residential electric service panel for a generator input. It WILL work but if you forget to shut the main breaker off it could have devastating consequences to you and others down the line. It is also against code.

In your example diagram it WILL work but if the main is not shut of there could be serious consequences for the person doing the backfeed as well as those around them.

What everyone is saying is there is a safe and effective way to pull off what the OP is trying to do and that should be the path taken instead of trying to find a work around...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Extend a stay is a great device.

Can you backfeed through the propane quick connect, yes. If your on board tank is turned off, then a 20# tank could be connected. Big thing you must do is have the correct propane regulator at the freestanding 20# tank. It must be regulated to the correct pressure before it is introduced into the distribution lines.

The extends stay give a person the right tools to do the job safety every time without much thought.

+1

For the cost and ease of instillation why would you go any other rout. It's the right way to do it.

I even added an extension hose to mine so I could place the extra tank on the opposite side of the RV so I didn't have to look at it by the door every time I go in and out.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #16

As indicted by VICR, the manifold is installed before the regulator.
I hook up a 20# tank when stationary and shut off the main tank to use it as a reserve as well as keeping the refrigerator running while mobile.
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #17

I made my own

I’m sure the extended stay device works fine, but you can also just hook up a tank from the External BBQ connection. You just have to make sure the tank your connecting to has a regulator installed. I already had a regulator with a quick connection for running my BBQ or fire pit from 20# tanks. I decided I might need to run the RV from 20# tanks if my main tank runs low. Both the RV external connection and my regulator quick connect we’re female. I made a short 3 ft male to male propane hose. Now if I need to I can just hook the external propane tank to the bbq connection. As others have said you should close the valve on the main propane supply tank. Propane is a gas…. Not the same as electricity….. so it’s not like back feeding electricity through a main panel. Having said all that…. If I didn’t already have the regulator with quick connection for my other devices, I would probably just bought the extended stay device.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #18

Sorry...missed that this is a motorhome thread. Removed my remark.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #19

Extend a stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMProfBob View Post
I bought an Extend a Stay from Amazon (about $30) along with a propane hose about $65. Finding someone to install it for me took a year, but well worth it. It and a 20# tank got me thru a cold spring and not having to move my Seneca every couple of days to fill tank. Just took one of two small tanks (all I could carry) to propane dealer for refill. I always had one ready that way.

The extend a stay bypasses the permanent tank on your rig, so you always have that to rely on if things get bad.

Good luck! Bobbie
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #20

I have a 2018 27.5RLTS with the Dry Camping Package. It has a third tank that has it's own regulator and ties into the main propane line via a T. That would seem to be the same system that member kyuan suggested with his diagram. Jayco does not say that the main tank should be turned off if the third tank is on. I often run the main tanks and the third tank all on. According to what some have said, this is a dangerous thing to do or am I missing something?
Goncampn is offline   Reply With Quote