Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #1

Flying To Pick Up a Melbourne 24L - Suggestions

I will be flying to Tennessee in a week and a half to pick up a gently used Melbourne 24L. After visiting Mammoth Cave NP we will take about a week to travel back to NJ. The RV has been sitting at a small dealer since the winter and does not come with many of the things I think are necessary for this trip.

I plan to take some things with me on the plane: Jayco manual; 15A to 30A; 50A to 30A; surge suppressor (EMS); water pressure regulator; small tool kit. I plan to stop at a Walmart after I pick up the RV to pick up some small items: toilet paper; deodorizer tablets; water hoses; sewer hose; electrical cord.

I am looking for suggestions for any other things I should buy (and be able to take on a plane) before I leave, and essential items to purchase once I pick up the RV. I can add nice to have items when I get it home, but want to make sure my first trip goes smoothly.
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

I would like to have a GPS with me for the trip home. Also, if you are buying that stuff call the dealer and ask if they would hold some Amazon or whatever packages for you and have the stuff shipped to them instead of packing it. Flashlight or headlamp or both are must haves. Small first aid kit.

Most important, camp as close to the dealer as possible, even in the wrong direction in case you want to go back with a problem or question. Cell phone chargers 12 volt and AC!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

I cant think of anything not already mentioned. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Several good treads on how to improve the handling if the PO hasn't installed them already.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

Bedding, towels, dishes, cooking utensils, silverware..all basic kitchen and bath stuff.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Tire pressure gauge, and a blue water filter. Put a Leatherman on your belt. A day doesn't go by that I don't reach for it for something.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I cant think of anything not already mentioned. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Several good treads on how to improve the handling if the PO hasn't installed them already.
I test drove the RV about 10 miles over a 50mph road and some small back roads. It handled great, but I realize I have yet to get it up to highway speeds (65 - 70 mph). What specifically should I be on the lookout for related to handling? The PO put the RV on consignment at a small non-Jayco dealer and has not been very forthcoming with information. Is there a way for me to tell if any handling upgrades have been performed?

The PO did add solar panels and a satellite dish and it has under 10K miles.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Most important, camp as close to the dealer as possible, even in the wrong direction in case you want to go back with a problem or question.
Camping close to the dealer is a great suggestion. We are heading to Mammoth Cave the first night, but plan to backtrack past the dealer on the way home.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewtown View Post
I
Is there a way for me to tell if any handling upgrades have been performed?
You will know when a truck passes you on the highway or encounter a good cross wind. White knuckle experience for me before my heavier duty sway bar, Sumo Springs (Upgraded bump stops) all 4 corners and tuned Fox shocks for the rear. It would be difficult to tell if the sway bar was updated but the Sumo’s look like this over the axle.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-338-47/

OEM ones were short and smooth. Mine weren’t resting on the axle and the Sumos were either touching or almost touching.

My OEM shocks were black. Other popular replacements are different colors I believe.

Safe travels.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #9

passing a truck with melbourne 24L

I just bought a 2017 Melbourne L with 1300 miles on it. drove it home from Ohio to MA on a major highway. there was zero white knuckle for me, handled great! a gusting wind will rock it a bit but overall great ride. it handles 75mph easily although i prefer to drive slower. I am putting in a sway bar and possible sumos as well for my driveway and pulling on and off-road onto the uneven or inclined pavement. I should mention it is a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
You will know when a truck passes you on the highway or encounter a good crosswind. White knuckle experience for me before my heavier duty sway bar, Sumo Springs (Upgraded bump stops) all 4 corners and tuned Fox shocks for the rear. It would be difficult to tell if the sway bar was updated but the Sumo’s look like this over the axle.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-338-47/

OEM ones were short and smooth. Mine weren’t resting on the axle and the Sumos were either touching or almost touching.

My OEM shocks were black. Other popular replacements are different colors I believe.

Safe travels.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote