Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Gas Tank Empty Reserve

Does anyone know how many miles are on reserve when the gas tank indicator light comes on? My RV Trip Wizard wants to know! Also, does anyone know about how many gallons per mile I can expect towing a Honda CRV on my 2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 - Ford 450

Thanks.

Samsara
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Personally, I would put 0. If I was driving and the light came on, that's an emergency situation. I rarely go under a quarter before I'm looking to fill up.

Gallons per mile? Yeah, it sometimes feels that way. But our Grayhawk pulling the CRV is about 7 to 7.5 Miles per gallon. YMMV
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks so much. Heading out in my first leg.. It's a little overwhelming getting ready! I had no idea!!!

Samsara
Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Not sure with your vehicle.. but Ford just released a TSB about a week ago for their fuel tanks having *too much* reserve capacity.

Basically, the truck will start yelling at you that you're almost out of gas when you still have 5 gallons in reserve. I've decided to not 'fix' this problem. So, this is very dependent on the truck, and even the year in my case. I can apparently still drive over 60 miles when the tank reads zero. Not going to confirm this for real though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Not sure with your vehicle.. but Ford just released a TSB about a week ago for their fuel tanks having *too much* reserve capacity.

Basically, the truck will start yelling at you that you're almost out of gas when you still have 5 gallons in reserve. I've decided to not 'fix' this problem. So, this is very dependent on the truck, and even the year in my case. I can apparently still drive over 60 miles when the tank reads zero. Not going to confirm this for real though.
When you get your new truck, you will be able to set the "DTE" (distance to empty) from the menu. You can select towing or normal. I've tried selecting each one for each situation and it scrambled its brains. Not reliable! The dealer says it is still trying to learn. Pretty slow learner! When towing, I figure at the lowest, 8mpg which translates to 60 miles per quarter mark.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #6

Here's a copy of the TSB, they are actually replacing fuel tanks, it's not a software problem. Hopefully the attachment comes in readable...

As you guys probably know, a TSB isn't a recall, you have to complain to your dealer about the problem in the TSB, they get to decide if they are going to 'address it' or not. My truck isn't impacted by this one, but yours is I think 2nOZ? Even if mine was, I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Back to the OP, your reserve fuel is really an unknown until you real world test your miles to empty after your gauge is screaming at you. In diesel trucks, running them empty is a big no-no, but I'll probably test it on my new gas truck sometime this summer. I should be taking delivery this week, will not hijack the thread, but I'm freaking out that my truck has been baking in a parking lot 4 minutes from my house for a week now.
Attached Thumbnails
fuelTankTsB.jpg  
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Gas Reserve after dash light comes on

We just put almost 5000 miles on our 2008 Jayco Greyhawk 30GS dolly towing a Saturn Vue. Our gas low light came on in South Dakota and we stopped to refuel. I was surprised because it has a 55 gallon fuel tank and it took 38 gallons to fill it? Seems like alot of reserve and makes me question the accuracy of the light. - Next trip Maine, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
Dick
DandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandV View Post
We just put almost 5000 miles on our 2008 Jayco Greyhawk 30GS dolly towing a Saturn Vue. Our gas low light came on in South Dakota and we stopped to refuel. I was surprised because it has a 55 gallon fuel tank and it took 38 gallons to fill it? Seems like alot of reserve and makes me question the accuracy of the light. - Next trip Maine, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Dick

Yes definitely a lot of reserve! Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback! Good to know but hope to never have to deal with the light!

Still heading North!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Goodness! I'm looking to top up when we hit half a tank. Different units, different size tanks and different driving conditions, but why run on the lower half? My bladder and the fuel tank seem to operate about the same so it isn't a big deal.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Goodness! I'm looking to top up when we hit half a tank. Different units, different size tanks and different driving conditions, but why run on the lower half? My bladder and the fuel tank seem to operate about the same so it isn't a big deal.

I agree.. I always start looking before half a rank. I still get nervous about getting in and out of stations so I grab then when I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk