Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I use CoPilot GPS on my phone. It has all the features as the Garmin. Enter your RV measurements and your done. It will guide you safe everywhere you go, no worries about bridges or highways.
I think it’s $29.00 a year.
I opted for Co-Pilot after I was confronted with a 12' 6" train tressle in Ballston Spa, NY. My 5er is 13'6". Only problem is Co-Pilot can't find addresses that Google maps can. Sez " nearest address".

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #22

Gps

The phone is ok but the Garmin will give you a lot more info. If you buy the gps for RVs it will also help you avoid roads with low bridges or roads not suited for the size of your Rv.
CRael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #23

I use a Garmin designed specifically for RV’s. It allows me to put in the height, width, length and weight of my 5th wheel and the truck dimensions. It plots my trip taking into consideration bridges, tunnels, narrow roads, switchbacks, railroads, etc.

WAZE and other GPS’s direct cars without the states conditions I mentioned. GPS’s made for RV’s are worth the investment.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
Actually you are not. We always download Google Maps data to our device for offline use. Works fine and is free. Try it sometime.
Quote:
Wrong - GPS is on pretty much every modern cellphone. I do the same with google maps on Apple CarPlay all the time in my Alante.
Wow, these are both totally not understanding technology. Scary....

For the First, Google maps offline is just a static map, no live GPS plotting or guidance features.

For the Second, yes GPS is on most modern cellphones. What happens when your phone can't get a signal or ping from a tower when you're out in the boonies? It's sounds like you've NEVER left the big city.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #25

Gps for rv's

Edit: you’re right. No guidance is correct. Static yes, but position can be seen. I see what you mean.

Actually you can download the maps from google and the phone just uses the gps signal to get a location. The data is only needed to fill in the map, so if already downloaded no need for a cell signal. I used to do this on motorcycle rides years back when out of cell coverage. Works better on android than apple. But works on both.

For work, I have an iPad with maps preloaded on it for work use. I don’t have a cell plan. Just use gps signal. Works ok.

None of this is as good as a stand alone GPS, but it’ll work.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

For the First, Google maps offline is just a static map, no live GPS plotting or guidance features.

For the Second, yes GPS is on most modern cellphones. What happens when your phone can't get a signal or ping from a tower when you're out in the boonies? It's sounds like you've NEVER left the big city.
I think you’re who doesn’t understand technology!! The GPS in my iPhone works exactly the same as your Garmin - time signals off the GPS satellites. I’m an ex Navy shipdriver so I’ve learned a few things about navigating over the years. I’m guided by Google Maps the same way that I would be by a dedicated GPS - just have more functionality options.

BTW, I live in a small urban area on Vancouver Island - cell coverage is never a given.
KevTev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yes you can download a map for use when offline, but it's not GPS. No real-time ..it's a map.
It’s gps all right. Enter your destination and it guides you there. Like a normal GPS. It has all the guidance data, but not all of the peripheral data, like hotels, etc. And no traffic data, of course, since you’re not connected. But the GPS part works just fine.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #28

I guess you have not tried downloading A Google Maps area. It absolutely works with your phone’s GPS chip and gives you guidance just fine even when you are off line. The only thing missing is live traffic info since you are not online, and a lot of the background such as hotels and restaurants.

Been using this feature for years, especially when we travel in Europe and not have a data plan.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Edit: you’re right. No guidance is correct. Static yes, but position can be seen. I see what you mean.

Actually you can download the maps from google and the phone just uses the gps signal to get a location. The data is only needed to fill in the map, so if already downloaded no need for a cell signal. I used to do this on motorcycle rides years back when out of cell coverage. Works better on android than apple. But works on both.

For work, I have an iPad with maps preloaded on it for work use. I don’t have a cell plan. Just use gps signal. Works ok.

None of this is as good as a stand alone GPS, but it’ll work.
You actually can ask for, and get, directions from downloaded Google Maps. It’s not just a dot on a map. Give it a try.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #30

Sticking with WAZE

I was ready to buy a GPS and even added it to my Amazon wish list but when I did the research, I decided to stay with WAZE. It's a free crowd sourced app and is owned by Google. Its best feature is its real time updates to road conditions; everything from bumps in the road to vehicles on the shoulder to traffic backups. It does an awesome job offering reroutes. The one caveat is that it doesn't offer any hight information so we still double check the route with the trusty Trucker's Road Atlas. When we're not towing, it's nice to know where most of the police are located.

My wife, who does a LOT of the driving, hated the GPS that came with the car... and often argued with it. Now she won't start a long trip without firing up WAZE.

As has been noted about using apps without cell coverage, as long as you set the route while you have cell connection, the app tracks your route progress even when you don't have cell service, you just don't get traffic updates.

We both have cell phones so dedicating one to WAZE and music isn't a problem. When I'm a bored passenger, I like to use it to see if I can find something that hasn't already been noted by other Wazers.

Also, I just looked at the Garmin 770 on Amazon and the reviews are AWFUL.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
I decided to stay with WAZE. It's a free crowd sourced app and is owned by Google.
Can someone tell me why a GPS app needs access to all this personal data on your phone?

Is there a reason people like to give all their personal information to Google?
Attached Thumbnails
Waze permissions.png  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #32

GPS for RV

I’ve tried copilot app and Garmin denz trucker gps. But decided on Garmin 770 LMT. Didn’t like Copilot at all. Not user friendly IMO. Trucker GPS was nice but all the extras were geared for truckers. Make sense. So I bought the 770 because all the references and preferences are RV specific. For example RV campgrounds and POIs for RV.

NO gps is perfect so we use both my google maps on my phone and the Garmin 770. I really like the advanced warnings like curves or sharp turns ahead, steep grades etc.

Haven’t gone on a long trip yet but when we do I fully intend to have everything mapped out and check out on my computer prior to leaving. We’re newbies and pulling into a no backing out or turning around situation is not something I want to deal with.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #33

We use the Garmin 760 in conjunction with iphone Waze app. I stick to the Garmin routes but we like the heads up on traffic problems and object on road alerts waze gives you. We also use the Next Exit 2016 book, Rand McNally Atlas, Truck Map app to plan our fuel stops. It has a lot of great features fining pilots and loves and other convenient places to stop for whatever you might need in your travels. I also just down loaded iExit app to use as the same as Truck maps app, but haven’t put it to use yet.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #34

Garmin 770 for all the reasons listed. We usually have one of our iPhones running Waze as well for traffic updates. That said, My iPhone once told me to turn ONTO a railroad track in a rural area in North Carolina. The bottom line is that every day before starting out, I have carefully researched the planned route for the day's travel and know what routes I'll be taking (AllStays app is good for this as well) so all I really use the GPS for is to keep me aware of my surroundings and when turns are coming up. Yeah, I'm old school but I used to lead Army convoys here and on other continents and once you've gotten 50 or so large trucks and armored vehicles lost in another country, you tend to obsess over these things. :-)
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #35

My 2014 Greyhawk 31FK came with a Clarion infotainment/navigation system with 7" touch screen. GPS works great. Set for truck and height automatically sets for clearance routes. Very accurate. All by GPS satellites. No need for cell service
Big Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddio View Post
My 2014 Greyhawk 31FK came with a Clarion infotainment/navigation system with 7" touch screen. GPS works great. Set for truck and height automatically sets for clearance routes. Very accurate. All by GPS satellites. No need for cell service
My 2016 Alante came with a crappy Jensen in-dash entertainment/rear camera system with the option to add a GPS module. Neither is made any more so one of these days I'll upgrade.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #37

Forgot to mention that my clarion system also has a backup camera and cameras in both side mirrors that come on when either turn signal is used when changing lanes or turning a corner
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #38

GPS even warns me when I go over posted speed limits
Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

So both your first and second point were dead wrong. I guess that’s Karma for posting such a nasty comment.

Never liked the big city anyway...
Old 11-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KregChar View Post
From what I understand it's included. They did have some issues with it. One reason why I paid for a subscription. Used credits earned through Google Opinion Rewards for that. Use the same user credentials for RvLife as you use for RV Trip Wizzard. You might have to change the navigation settings under Account - Settings - Navigation to RV Life Map.
When I click on a trip, I get to a summary of the trip with the different steps with arrows next to every step. Click on one of them and you get to a page where you pick your preferences. Avoid Tolls, Highways, etc. On the bottom of that page you should see View RV Friendly Directions. That should take you the RV Routing option.
PM me if there is anything I can help you with.

RV Life GPS screwed me on my latest trip...

I had this app running side by side with google maps going to Rock Island State Park in Tennessee. Google was telling me to turn, but since it has no way of entering height, I decided to follow the RV Life map, which said to go straight and turn down the next road. RV Life GPS sent me down a road that not only turned into a 1½ lane road, but also was a dead end. Our destination was NOT at the end. Turns out the Google GPS was right...

On the way home, it was following the same route as Google maps. When we were within 25 miles of home, it kept telling me to turn, go around 1 entire block, then continue down the road I was currently on! At one point, it wanted me to go completely around a roundabout and go back to go around the block I passed up.

Of course, my trial period expired, I ended up paying to a year...
GregandKelly is offline   Reply With Quote