Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Gps for rv's

Anyone use this, we use gps on smart phone, what are the differences if any....thanks..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

I have the Garmin RV 760lmt. You can enter your height, length, width, and weight and it will route you accordingly. It will also take more "truck-friendly routes" and generally keep you on highways or larger state routes as much as possible. It knows about steep grades, sharp turns, etc. It has bluetooth to connect to a phone app and your phone can send traffic info to it for an extra one-time fee. It can be toggled between RV and regular car mode.

I use Waze app for regular driving. It sends me down roads the Garmin would never have tried.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

Dedicated GPS will work where you have no cell signal. That happens to us a lot.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Dedicated GPS will work where you have no cell signal. That happens to us a lot.
Exactly, plus it frees up the cell phone for other uses.

I use the Garmin RV770, has many items related to RV operations, locations, warnings, etc.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Garmin RV 760 for the reasons listed above Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
I use Waze app for regular driving. It sends me down roads the Garmin would never have tried.

This, there are even differences between my wife's Apple Google Maps and my Android Google Maps.

Often the smartphone will direct us down roads that make me very uncomfortable in the RV.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Garmin RV 760 for the reasons listed above Les
X 3. Same as above.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

Garmin 770...for all the reasons given. Just got home from an 11,157 miles (6800 towing) trip across country. Saved my butt several times with low underpass heights. Had many areas, even on interstates when we had no cell service. Touch a button and get what's ahead, gas, rest areas restaurants etc..show's an actual picture of exits etc. Well worth the price, many times better than google maps in my opinion.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #9

Garmin Dezl 780 LMT-S. This is the truck version of the similar Garmin RV Unit. I figured if I was going to get the RV unit for clearance and weight considerations that I might as well get the truck version. Has some additional handy features to track fuel and costs but very similar to RV unit.

Other key factors I wanted was a 7” screen, a WiFi unit for easier application of system updates and maps. So far, it’s been a solid unit. I’m not really a fan though of the magnetic mounts many of these units are using these days. Suction cup is still the weak point overall though.

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

I use CoPilot GPS on my phone. It has all the features as the Garmin. Enter your RV measurements and your done. It will guide you safe everywhere you go, no worries about bridges or highways.
I think it’s $29.00 a year.
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #11

I bought myself a cheap 8-inch tablet. I already use and pay for an RV Trip Wizzard subscription. They finally released an app for Android and I-OS called RV LIFE - RV GPS & Campgrounds that includes routing options. You can switch back and forth between their map, Google Maps, Waze or whatever kind of mapping software you have installed on your unit. The routing software is included in your subscription. Maps are downloaded to the tablet, so they are available without cellphone reception. I should mention that I am running a hotspot through either Google Fi or Visible. So far I was always able to get some signal. I like the option to switch back and forth between maps because Google Maps is still best in class when it comes to the last mile. I had a few campgrounds where CoPilot and RV Life had issues getting me to the right address but Google Maps was on the point. CoPilot and RV Life are pretty much the same when it comes to routing. But for almost the same price I get RV Trip Wizzard plus RV Life. It's a no-brainer. I like the fact that I can plan a trip at home on the computer and I don't have to do anything to find it on my tablet in real-time. With CoPilot I had to put in all the info by hand. Exporting and Importing is OK but doesn't really work that well for Google Maps. Those folks at RV Trip Wizzard are on the right path. Only thing is that since it's still new, there are a few bugs that need to be weeded out. It worked for me and I am happy so far. And I tried it. I had 2 cell phones and the tablet directing me at the same time with 3 different routing options. I was called cray more than once. LOL
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #12

Your phone GPS works as long as you have cell service. Sadly there are many places in this wonderful country when you have no cell service, even on interstates. Since we like to take back roads rather than interstates, we often were without cell service this summer. My Garmin 770 always worked.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KregChar View Post
I bought myself a cheap 8-inch tablet. I already use and pay for an RV Trip Wizzard subscription. They finally released an app for Android and I-OS called RV LIFE - RV GPS & Campgrounds that includes routing options. You can switch back and forth between their map, Google Maps, Waze or whatever kind of mapping software you have installed on your unit. The routing software is included in your subscription. Maps are downloaded to the tablet, so they are available without cellphone reception. I should mention that I am running a hotspot through either Google Fi or Visible. So far I was always able to get some signal. I like the option to switch back and forth between maps because Google Maps is still best in class when it comes to the last mile. I had a few campgrounds where CoPilot and RV Life had issues getting me to the right address but Google Maps was on the point. CoPilot and RV Life are pretty much the same when it comes to routing. But for almost the same price I get RV Trip Wizzard plus RV Life. It's a no-brainer. I like the fact that I can plan a trip at home on the computer and I don't have to do anything to find it on my tablet in real-time. With CoPilot I had to put in all the info by hand. Exporting and Importing is OK but doesn't really work that well for Google Maps. Those folks at RV Trip Wizzard are on the right path. Only thing is that since it's still new, there are a few bugs that need to be weeded out. It worked for me and I am happy so far. And I tried it. I had 2 cell phones and the tablet directing me at the same time with 3 different routing options. I was called cray more than once. LOL
Curious in RV Trip Wizard. I have paid for an annual subscription using the web interface. I’d say the experience isn’t all that great. So for the app, do you have to pay an additional $50/year for the RV Routing or does it tie to your existing subscription? It seems basic non-RV Routing is included but not RV Routing?

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Your phone GPS works as long as you have cell service. Sadly there are many places in this wonderful country when you have no cell service, even on interstates. Since we like to take back roads rather than interstates, we often were without cell service this summer. My Garmin 770 always worked.
This is a really IMPORTANT point for those of you who rely on your cell phones... they are only as good as the nearest cell tower.... No nearby cell tower, you're screwed (and lost)...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Curious in RV Trip Wizard. I have paid for an annual subscription using the web interface. I’d say the experience isn’t all that great. So for the app, do you have to pay an additional $50/year for the RV Routing or does it tie to your existing subscription? It seems basic non-RV Routing is included but not RV Routing?

Aaron
From what I understand it's included. They did have some issues with it. One reason why I paid for a subscription. Used credits earned through Google Opinion Rewards for that. Use the same user credentials for RvLife as you use for RV Trip Wizzard. You might have to change the navigation settings under Account - Settings - Navigation to RV Life Map.
When I click on a trip, I get to a summary of the trip with the different steps with arrows next to every step. Click on one of them and you get to a page where you pick your preferences. Avoid Tolls, Highways, etc. On the bottom of that page you should see View RV Friendly Directions. That should take you the RV Routing option.
PM me if there is anything I can help you with.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #16

I have budgetary approval to buy a dedicated RV GPS this month. Trying to decide between Garmin RV-7-something or Rand McNally Overdryve 7.

The Garmins are talked about a lot here with generally favorable opinions, but the Rand McNally is recommended by TechnoRV, and that carries some weight with me too.

I do know that in any event I will always get a 2nd opinion, as camp followers of any brand will have stories of nearly being led into harm's way.
I also subscribe to RV Trip wizard for that reason

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Not so, you can download a region on Google Maps to your device (phone or tablet) for offline use. We do that regularly for travel in Europe when we do not have a data plan. Works anywhere, though.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
This is a really IMPORTANT point for those of you who rely on your cell phones... they are only as good as the nearest cell tower.... No nearby cell tower, you're screwed (and lost)...
Actually you are not. We always download Google Maps data to our device for offline use. Works fine and is free. Try it sometime.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
Not so, you can download a region on Google Maps to your device (phone or tablet) for offline use. We do that regularly for travel in Europe when we do not have a data plan. Works anywhere, though.
Yes you can download a map for use when offline, but it's not GPS. No real-time ..it's a map.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #20

Wrong - GPS is on pretty much every modern cellphone. I do the same with google maps on Apple CarPlay all the time in my Alante.
KevTev is offline   Reply With Quote