Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere Mc View Post
Jimmy, I have a 2017 29 MV. Would be very interested in the addition of the 2nd air.
Have studied this a lot and talked to Coleman as well. Thinking about adding an 11,000 Power Saver, but have not had much luck locally with the addition.
Let me know how this goes and how they run the wiring. I want it to look like the factory did it. I talked to Jayco about having this done at The Factory, but they would not do it.
Jere Mc the additional AC that we are adding will only run on a separate line. We are keeping our 15,000 front AC with heat pump and adding a 15,000 AC to our bedroom. We don’t boondock so we will only use the rear air while in campgrounds.
It most likely will be way more AC then we will need but better for our western travels.
Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #22

Thanks for the info. Let us know how it works.
Jere Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

We own a 2017 29MV. For visitors we have two square storage ottomans that we push together in front of the sofa to make a "coffee table look" and that creates extra seating. Also, we carry a 46" flat screen TV with us and store it between the side of the bed and the window. If we a t to watch a movie or TV, we place it on the counter opposite the sofa and it makes.for perfect viewing. Our blue ray player connects to wifi and we can stream content, or connect to cable. This works for us as watching the TV that is up over the bunk is a stretch and hard on your neck! Good luck!
Seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #24

Have 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV. Like previous comments, dogs are a must. We have 2 St. Bernards who have traveled all 12000 miles with us. One sleeps on the Jacknife couch, and the 2nd on the floor. I was going to order the Entertainment center, then changed at last minute for 12 cuFt refrigerator..a great decision, as adds a nice sleep area as needed. We watch TV from the dinette, and find it very satisfactory. Maybe once past 75, vision might dictate an upgrade, but with motorized viewing arm, easy to see from almost any place. Previous comment on "2nd AC" is a must in my opinion, as we do have 2. LOVE the rig!!
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybearnard View Post
Have 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV. Like previous comments, dogs are a must. We have 2 St. Bernards who have traveled all 12000 miles with us. One sleeps on the Jacknife couch, and the 2nd on the floor. I was going to order the Entertainment center, then changed at last minute for 12 cuFt refrigerator..a great decision, as adds a nice sleep area as needed. We watch TV from the dinette, and find it very satisfactory. Maybe once past 75, vision might dictate an upgrade, but with motorized viewing arm, easy to see from almost any place. Previous comment on "2nd AC" is a must in my opinion, as we do have 2. LOVE the rig!!
Wow those are some big dogs. We currently travel with a Black and Tan Coonhound and a little 18 pound terror ( Pekingese/Shih tzu ) mix. Happy trails, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #26

We love our 2018 29MV, especially the layout. The one thing we don’t like is the couch. The location is great and good for TV viewing but it’s very upright and not very comfortable. We will be replacing with a reclining love seat.
Wandering Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #27

WE have a 2017 29 MV. Mostly hubby and I and a german shepherd. My adult son came with us for 2 weeks and slept on the tri fold couch and found it comfy.(He's 6"2") That's when we discovered that hubby and I could recline on the couch with it open to watch together. So that is the way we watch with pillows and jammies on! We also bought an ottoman to put our feet on or for extra seat.Has storage for magazines and throw blankets.

I mostly read in the bedroom while hubby watches so he often gets in the bunk and falls asleep with the tv on. That is one of the reasons we picked the floor plan. I am early to bed and early to rise hubby stays up ate with the tv. We are mostly outside when we have visitors so that has not been an issue. We need the bigger fridge for long trips and have been comfortable with one AC in New England....The kitchen is great...love the counter space. A great floorplan!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #28

My wife and I are new to Jayco, (this is our 3rd RV), We Purchased a class C RedHawk 25R about six months ago because we absolutely love the floor plan. It’s a RedHawk so it doesn’t have all the options the greyHawks offer, however we have a huge 55 inch TV on a swing arm directly across from our couch. It’s awesome, feels like you’re in a living room,. We’ve put about 3K miles on it and have had very minor issues. We’ve winter camped up nort for the holidays so we had a good chance to spen a lot of time inside of it watching TV, burrrr!

But it sounds like you should take your time and look at every possible RV and option that you can. Never be in a hurry to spend this type of money. The last RV we had was a class B, wife hated it! That bought us back to a C

Good luck, let us all know what you decide.

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #29

Oh Thank you all for all the information!

Seaview-(& Baldfacemt) great idea about the ottomans. Do they ride ok in the coach & where do you keep them? Same with the 46" tv...when you place it by the bed does it ride ok there?

Cybearard-We wanted to keep the bunk as well...won't need it often but it'll be so convenient when we do! I may keep stuff up there when it is jus the two of us. We are going to try the tv out before we make a decision...our basketball games will be the big issue! Did you install a motorized arm? Idk if the unit comes with that? We are getting 2 AC's...we do a big trip every summer and there are places where it's really hot!

Baldfacemt-OM Goodness what an idea! We will open the couch to watch tv...sounds so much more comfortable! And fun!! The kitchen does look great & was why I insisted on the coach. I needed the pantry too...(I've never had a problem with the 8cu ft fridge holding all I need).

Soooo excited and Thank you all again for such great ideas!
Chris
seastonemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #30

We purchased our 2018 29MVP last fall. Haven’t had much opportunity to use it here in PA, but have spent many hours in our heated storage just piddling around, watching TV, & setting things up how we like,. DW & I preferred this layout because of the room even w/slides in, split bath, large frig & kitchen area. Agree with others, our “visiting” will mainly be an outside event.
First trip of the year is Easter weekend!!
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #31

We have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK. We have driven 90,000 carefree miles, 11 round trips to AK I LOVE our kitchen, but with having the front kitchen, the dinette and couch are on the same side with a corner TV. When it's the two of us, no problem. However, when another couple or more come inside to visit, having the seating in a long line makes visiting difficult. We've tried using folding chairs in the aisle, but that's not great. Our next RV will have a center entry with the dinette facing the couch and swivel captain seats in front, creating a living room of sorts. Our Greyhawk has been fabulous so we hesitate to trade or upgrade to class A for this reason alone.
spikehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #32

Today is #253 in our 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV and we love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. That is, 253 nights on the road in 17 months. From our home in Ohio to Texas, Tennessee, New England, the Carolinas and two winter seasons in Key West and points between. To put it in perspective, we are two senior citizens and this is not our first RV. Our reflections:

The Positives.

We would like to meet the person who designed the interior of our 29MV and shake their hand. We love the simplicity and style of the interior. Some new RV's are way too fancy for our tastes. But most importantly, we love the floorplan, the room, the ample storage (our last Class C was a 23'). Everything is in the proper place and just the right size. We chose this model because of the large kitchen space. We really like the large shower and the bathroom layout. And the bedroom is perfect. BTW, you can buy "Queen Short" bedding on Amazon at about $40 a set and it actually fits.

Ours drove fine from Day 1.

Fuel economy is typical Ford V10, at 8.4 mpg for 13,000 miles, towing a Geo Tracker and driving into a headwind always!

Build quality is generally very good, better than the norm. We had a list of piddling things and our dealer was both helpful and otherwise swamped. Jayco corporate customer service has been wonderful, and never resisted any request. BTW again, if you are handy, they will happily send you any parts you need, if getting to a dealer is difficult.

Upgrades.

We purchased a 42" Phillip's Roku tv and a
MOR/ryde TV1021H Double Arm Swivel mount and a Samsung soundbar w Bluetooth subwoofer. Our daughter insisted on the Roku and she was spot on.

It took one Key West season for us to bite the bullet and replace the original sofa/bed with a custom Lambright double reclining loveseat (dual electric controls). Most comfortable piece of furniture we have ever owned. Contact us if you have questions.

We have managed with the single A/C by buying some stuff and adopting some techniques. Spent less than $75 and got through two seasons in Key West comfortably.

Small stuff like an Oxygenics shower wand, residential quality faucets, outside compartment catches as appropriate.

Functionally, everything has always worked fine from day 1, with the exception of a come-and-go issue with the electric steps. Intermittent electrical issues are tough.

The One Big Negative.

We would also like to meet whoever was in charge of the change from solid surface countertops to the current laminated composition. No hugs this time. Nobody in their right mind puts MDF anywhere near water. To Jayco's credit, they replaced our bathroom countertop and vanity (collateral damage), the dinette tabletop (delaminated from new), and the big kitchen countertop (received but not yet installed), all without a whimper. But there are signs it's not gonna last. As with the sofa replacement, we knew what we were buying, so now we will need to decide how to deal with it. Maybe Jayco can help but we need to get home before we start down that path.

Would we do it again? You bet! If you would like to talk, let us know through this forum how to reach you.

Mark and Bonnie
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #33

I'm late to this party, but I wanted to throw a different Greyhawk model into the mix. We bought a Greyhawk 29ME last year, and live in it for months at a time while we winter in Arizona. It has a lot of the bells and whistles including a 2nd AC. And we tossed the ridiculous jack knife sofa for a double electric recliner.

The reason we chose a model 29ME is the basement configuration in the rear. This model has a rear slide in which the rear queen bed slides out the rear about 30 inches. This has the same effect as adding 2.5' to the total length of the coach. But the real benefit was the basement storage under the rear bedroom. By Class C standards, it is enormous and has access on three sides: left, right and rear.

The trade off is that there is less kitchen counter space. But that is a small price to pay for the fantastic storage space. We just have to be mindful of the weight limitations.

It's been a great coach once we got past past the many component failures out of the factory. I bent a lot of ears to get it done in just a few weeks. It's an unfortunate situation in the RV industry as a whole. But we just deal with it.

BTW, I also added solar to the coach, along with an upgraded battery. So we can do some limited dry camping.

Safe journeys.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #34

Thank you!

Mark & Bonnie-Does the 42" fit in the bunk area? We may need to do that...college basketball games require a big tv!!

Flight Control-Thank you for the suggestion...we did decided on the 29mvp. Now we're just waiting (impatiently) for it to get here!!

Chris
Old 04-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #35

We've enjoyed our 2015 Greyhawk 29MV, with the slides in the bedroom and the front living area, gotta say with more than 4 adults, it would be crowded, especially if it was a game day for watching TV. Not sure what size TV the newer models come with, but watching ours from the dinette and couch isn't the most comfortable for everybody. And the kitchen area is nice, but not real roomy. My wife and I have done a few 5 to 6 week trips since retiring in 2017 without feeling cramped, it's been a great rig!
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #36

We don't need a bigger tv for a crowd...just for us!!

Do hope we can make that mod!

Chris
Old 04-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #37

Regarding the 42" tv, on the factory electric mount, it doesn't fit at all. The issue is the curved front wall. With the MOR/ryde double arm mount you have a lot of flexibility about where you can position the tv, but be sure to attach the mount sorta where the original was to use the strength in the wall structure.

You probably could get a touch bigger set, but you would have to move the DVD player to position the mount lower. Life's always a compromise.

Congrats. By buying the MVP, you get solid surface countertops.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #38

Hi Mark & Bonnie!

I just saw this post!

So I started a new thread that we have taken delivery & our first trip in our new Class C! We're so excited...

So one of my questions...in our TT our bed had some kind of lift system and a lot of under bed storage.
In this unit I can barely lift the mattress. And there's a hole that goes to an exterior compartment. I'm guessing they are all like this? I know it was in the '19. At any rate...my husband put a shelf in that compartment so things stay put.
Are you using the underbed storage? Do you access it from outside or inside? I wonder why they have that hole in there?

It's where I'm keeping my broom, mop & stick vacuum (although I may get rid of that since there is no carpet). But like I said I can't lift the mattress!

I can't remember if you changed out the sofa...we actually wanted it for kids to come. Do you store anything behind the sofa if you didn't change it out?

Where do you keep the ladder? Just in the bunk?

Thank you so much...Could be a million more questions!
Chris
Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 AM   #39

More Greyhawk stuff.

First, concerning the bed. We don't store anything that we access from inside. Too awkward and heavy. And in fact, I added some extra structure to it to make it more solid, particularly on the lower corners, so it is even heavier. I also added a hinged upper section to raise the head of the bed about 6 inches. And finally, I put a piece of plywood in to separate indoors from outdoors (wife request). Oh, and while doing this I learned that all the electrical hardware can be accessed by removing 4 screws and taking up the plywood cover at the foot of the bed. And the other cover on the right side of the opening hides all the plumbing stuff like the water pump. That is why the platform is hinged in the first place.

As an aside, my BIL's camper has a similar setup, but has a pair of heavy duty gas struts which make lifting the 10" REAL mattress pretty easy.

Regarding the sofa, our grandkids greatly prefer the overhead bed and we love our reclining loveseat. It actually has more room behind it for storage than the original. Also, when I was putting in a receptacle to power the recliners, I put in lots of USB outlets for charging devices.

We just leave the ladderup above, wedged between the front wall and the cushion. Travels well there, but hard to reach.

Which is helped by our purchase of a B & R Plastics folding step stool. Super sturdy 300# rated, easy folding, Amazon has many varieties. My wife uses it as a shower seat, I use it it to reach the ladder, and we have added wire shelving up high in both the pantry and behind the bedroom tv for improved storage so it's necessary for that.

At this point we are now at 264 nights, and are leaving Ohio in two days for the Pacific northwest. Never been there. Comments welcome.

One last unsolicited testimonial. WASH WAX ALL by Aero Cosmetics is an airplane wax. I'm a car nut and have tried every wax in the world over the last 50 or so years. For a motorhome, this is a terrific product. Again, Amazon.

Enjoy!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #40

Thank you for all of the good tips!

We weren't sure where the pump was...hopefully it works well as it will be really hard to get to!

We have not explored the PNW very much...a couple of years ago when we were out west we ended up spending the trip dodging fires (part of what lead to our decision to get the rv). We ended up at Olympic Ntl Park. Here are my notes from the park...sorry it's so long!

Happy Trails!
Chris

9/4 We headed to Quinault-definite beginnings of fall! Through a forest for part of the drive. NO smoke! 80 degrees, blue skies-Quinault Lodge looked adorable! did the nature trail-drove around the lake-2 waterfalls-South shore has all the sights-Couple short hikes at North Shore ranger station we didn’t do. We stopped and saw the world’s largest sitka spruce en route to the Kalaloch Lodge where you first see the ocean-haven’t seen the Pacific in years-great coffee from the store-cabins and lodge-great views of the beach and driftwood. Next Ruby beach to see Sea Stacks with birds (some of these birds never come to mainland), driftwood, beautiful beach. Decided not to walk on the beach. People said they had seen whales at beach 2 (south of Ruby)! Next we drove along Lake Crescent-huge lake-beautiful-did not look as turquoise blue as Glaciers…a little hazy. Sol Duc Falls were an easy hike and definitely worth it-unusual looking! Then on in to Port Angeles. Fairly big town-dinner at Kokopelli excellent! The Oympic Lodge was perfect-very nice.
9/5-Woke up to hazy skies! Local weather said smoke & clouds! We drove to Hurricane Ridge today and couldn’t hike Hurricane Hill…could barely see the mtns from the visitors center. We did a ranger lead talk about Olympic mtns from the beginning until now & saw a flock of grouse, Olympic marmot (specific to the area), and a deer! Next time-Hike Hurricane Hill, Cape Flattery, Shi Shi Beach & Victoria Island