Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Has Anybody Upgraded their Inverter

So I am down to my last big upgrade on my 2019 Greyhawk 30xp. I have previously installed 2 big batteries and 2 solar panels. I want to upgrade my Inverter from the 1000 watt to a 2000 watt....specifically I want to connect the kitchen outlets and the microwave to the inverter...I have the battery capacity to run my coffee maker, toaster, or use the microwave for a couple minutes without running my generator every time. I have figured out how to connect a new inverter so it will run those other circuits...my problem is the wiring for the stock inverter will need to be replaced. The current location of the inverter is in the back bedroom which is about 15 feet from the batteries. Reading the inverter installation manual they don't recommend installing with wiring longer than 10 ft....they are also recommending 4/0 AWG wire size from 5 to 10 feet and 3/0 AWG if located less than 5ft from batteries. That wire is super big and not easily installed around the coach. I am thinking of other locations to install the inverter which would be close to the batteries....possible locations are under the refridgerator if there is room, Under the step where the original batteries used to be located, or maybe behind the couch. Has anybody else upgraded there inverters??? Tips...advice... Thank you.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #2

Watching this thread since I am in the process of upgrading to lithium batteries and upgrading my inverter from the xantrex 1000 watt to their 1800 watt version. I plan to install the battery under the bed where all the other electrical panels are as well as the current inverter. This will allow me to keep my cable runs from the battery to the inverter to 2 feet. What I am trying to figure out is how to locate all of the cables that went to the battery bay outside so I can relocate all of those two under the bed
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

I like your idea of putting the batteries close to all the electrical boxes.... I don't know a lot about lithium batteries but they must not emit any gasses if you can put them in your bedroom. I used AGM batteries but still installed them in an outside compartment and made several holes for ventilation. I was surpised on my unit when I looked under the bed....there was not much there. All my electric is under the closet in the bedroom so not as much space to work with. I'm determined to make it work....I have all this battery capacity....I want to be able to use it.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

AGM batteries don't require ventilation
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
AGM batteries don't require ventilation
Except in a rare occurrence when a malfunction may provide excessive charging voltage, then their valves may release gas.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Except in a rare occurrence when a malfunction may provide excessive charging voltage, then their valves may release gas.
Correct!

And also correct that the common lithium battery chemistries do not require venting.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #7

I recently installed a full solar setup in my octane. I used a 3000watt inverter which did call for the large 4/0awg cable. I found the easiest thing to do was mount the inverter close to the batteries and then run the SJO cord into the breaker panel for the 120volt circuit. The higher voltage doesn’t require such large gauge of wire. The inverter I purchased also has an internal transfer switch so it is protected in the event you have it on and connect to shore power.
Sottile120 is offline   Reply With Quote