Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #1

Help! Over pressure water tank

Hello to all, hope someone can chime in.

First of all we have a 2008 Seneca. Filled the water storage tank when we left home overflow valves open until full, disconnect water hose and shut off overflow valves when water stopped flowing for travel.

We traveled today eight hours driving to RV park near Boise Idaho. Hot day, pressure must have been building in freshwater tank. My lovely wife extended pop out for bedroom. I connected fresh water at campsite, valves set for ‘city water’, I was outside starting the BBQ (charcoal not Seneca) and heard a big pop. I peaked in the motorhome and asked the wife to look for something that might have fell inside the MH. More pop / pop noise and the bed was lifting, and the slide out was tilting. Water was starting to leak from lower compartment. I noticed the drain valves were closed, opened all three and quite a bit of pressure but not extensive. Shut off city water. Floor in room raised where foot end of bed raised about six inches.
Myself and wife sat on foot end of bed and was able to retract slide. Transit bars installed. That’s where we leave off.

Also turn back on RV park city water and no water leaks from tank overflow, so I assume valves OK and not leaking by. Maybe I had valves at water command center incorrect but don’t think so. Another thing was that we used the fresh water tank during the trip to use the RR and sink, should have expelled some pressure.

Going to sleep tonight, afraid to extend slide out.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all
Mike
wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 AM   #2

Wow that sucks! My best guess is that you didn’t have your valve settings correct and the city water was filling your tank with water and with the vent tubes closed off the tank could only start expanding and doing damage. This is one reason I hate to see people put valves on the vent lines instead of creating an air gap. Hopefully the damage isn’t to bad.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Wow that sucks! My best guess is that you didn’t have your valve settings correct and the city water was filling your tank with water and with the vent tubes closed off the tank could only start expanding and doing damage. This is one reason I hate to see people put valves on the vent lines instead of creating an air gap. Hopefully the damage isn’t to bad.
Laying in bed last night thinking about it, that was the only way I could think of that happening.
Wife is still in bed it was a long day yesterday. I will look at it here in a bit, and post a little later.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

I bought my 2015 TS used and didn’t know the original owner had installed shut off valves on all 3 cent hoses.
The first time I tried to fill my fresh water, I was inside when I heard aloud pop, before I discovered what the pop was, I heard a second one so I immediately ran out and shut of the water. My bed was raised also. Once I found the **** off valves and opened them, the pressure released and the bed settled back down. Fortunately I didn’t bust the tank.
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I bought my 2015 TS used and didn’t know the original owner had installed shut off valves on all 3 cent hoses.
The first time I tried to fill my fresh water, I was inside when I heard aloud pop, before I discovered what the pop was, I heard a second one so I immediately ran out and shut of the water. My bed was raised also. Once I found the **** off valves and opened them, the pressure released and the bed settled back down. Fortunately I didn’t bust the tank.
Sounds like no permanent damage? Have you had any issues with the level of the bed or slide out operation?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team

This is the result of so many owners making modifications to rigs. They work great for them. but the next owner often has no clue what the mods are for.

I'm just as guilty as the next. I do try to put some notes in my owners packet about them but not every one. Those capped valves are a fix but as noted here, but can cause some confusion.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This is the result of so many owners making modifications to rigs. They work great for them. but the next owner often has no clue what the mods are for.

I'm just as guilty as the next. I do try to put some notes in my owners packet about them but not every one. Those capped valves are a fix but as noted here, but can cause some confusion.
I took almost all my "mods" off the trailer to transfer them to the new MH!

That trailer was ALMOST back to stock OEM configuration when I traded it in.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I took almost all my "mods" off the trailer to transfer them to the new MH!

That trailer was ALMOST back to stock OEM configuration when I traded it in.
I moved a couple of mine to this rig also. I would remove any valves as consideration to the next owner.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:

Mods are both a pro AND a con for buying used.
In addition to those valves, the original owner of mine also installed something under the hood that is suppose to boost the horsepower (Cummins tech said its total bs) and a remote that shuts the fan on and off (still don’t know why).
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Site Team

I agree, they are beneficial if you know about them. Many new owners are baffled by them for lack of any documentation.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
I agree, they are beneficial if you know about them. Many new owners are baffled by them for lack of any documentation.
I found a remote attached to drivers side door and a knob mounted low on the dash that I had to figure out. Fortunately I have google!

And, apologies to OP for getting off topic
Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:

This was my fault without question! I thought the valves were there stock on this unit so I knew they were there before we left town. As I think about it, Rustynuts hit the nail on the head, I must have had the valves incorrect when hooking up to city water ( knucklehead) I can sure tell you that I triple check the valves now before turning on the water.

And to update again, looks like no lasting problems with the water system city or tank. Slide goes in and out no problem but I do think I did some damage to the floor I will check that when we get home.

Thanks again, to all for your help. I thought we were in a real problem that night.

Tags
seneca, slide tilt, water tank over pressure