Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #21

I’ve been rving my whole life so I kind of knew what to expect. Done a lot of modifications to improve rig that I could have skipped. Only one maintenance issue with jacks that required visit to shop while on road. In and out of repairing dealership in an hour. At this point with 18 months and 10k on rig I am completely 😃 happy with rv. Did not expect it to be like buying a new car and have been able to diagnose and fix the minor issues that have come up. If you are not at least a little mechanical owning any rv can be frustrating. I continue to be a happy camper. Life is to short to get your blood pressure up over the small stuff. Safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #22

If I had listened to the negative comments about a new Precept 31UL, I would not have lost so much money and felt helplessly put down by other members when I listed all my problems after purchase. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #23

Negative or not, I do plan to sell or trade mine before my warranty expires and purchase a different brand. May go a bit larger or not, but a different brand.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #24

Small TT But Very Happy

We have a couple's trailer Jayco 154BH and we love it. Never had a single issue. I wanted a bigger, more expensive TT but my wife said this is all we need. So guess who won that conversation. Turns out she was correct.
Denny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #25

It’s no different than a new house, once you move in there are lots of things you want to change. So are there things we don’t like or want to change yup, but do I have to nope. We love our unit and more important we feel Jayco has been there for us when needed
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #26

I agree with Earl? I have a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV..love it. 20+K, Across upper midwest, Canada, Nova Scotia, and some southeast. Only issues is some of the cheap LED lights. Have changed out 90%. Otherwise, a dream..great floor plan, and I have 2 St Bernards that always go where we go!!
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #27

We recently purchased a 2021 Seneca. We could’t be happier. We have had a couple small issues, but all in all we are thrilled with our new rig. We have had it out 3 times, pulled some trailers with it, and it has performed flawlessly.

The only issues we have are one valence was not properly anchored, and the middle eye in the stove will not work properly. The dealer has ordered a replacement stove and we will have those items repaired pretty soon. We did have a blown fuse that prevented the trailer lights from working, but a call to the freightliner after hours customer service number and I fixed that with a new fuse at a truckstop. They answered the phone and help me troubleshoot at 8pm on a Friday night, which I thought was pretty nice

This is my first camper and I expect to have to work on it. I have owned several boats in salt water so I am well accustomed to the idea of troubleshooting and fixing problems. In fact, if you think your camper is a pain in the neck , but you about a 30 foot diesel cruiser and keep it in the salt water full time. Won’t be long at all and maintaining your camper will be easy as pie!!!

Loving the Seneca, would purchase again!
staineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseneca View Post
If I was a perspective buyer in the market for motor home, i would find it very difficult to sort thru all the complaints and negativity to find a unit that is not plagued with issues. I'm sure there are many happy rv owners that can share their experience with good units that have performed very well. This may guide a potential buyer in the right direction.

I own a 2007 seneca 34ss , and would not hesitate to buy another first generation seneca. The unit has a nice floor plan and is a pleasure to drive. Repairs are not exclusive, and I often hear from other first gen owners how happy they are. Just a start.
We are very happy with our 2017 Jayco 154BH no issues.
Denny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #29

Why rationalize

Why do so many people rationalize about quality. Would you pay the same amount as you spent on an car as you spent on an rv and accept the issues on your car. Axcels at the minimum required so that often you are overweight we only modest packing, engineering issues that require fixing in a few years as mentioned, service levels that are substandard by dealers, manuals that are not worth the paper. If we want to get improvements, we need to avoid rationalizing the poor performance of the industry and seek to get things done better.
virginia27.5rlts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #30

Getting Jayco attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia27.5rlts View Post
Why do so many people rationalize about quality. Would you pay the same amount as you spent on an car as you spent on an rv and accept the issues on your car? Axcels at the minimum required so that often you are overweight we only modest packing, engineering issues that require fixing in a few years as mentioned, service levels that are substandard by dealers, manuals that are not worth the paper. If we want to get improvements, we need to avoid rationalizing the poor performance of the industry and seek to get things done better.
I agree that we should do more to get Jayco's attention. I have tried to get through the dealer and Jayco support to talk to someone at corporate and in engineering. I am more than happy to share with them what I have found with practical suggestions to fix it.
So far I have been blocked at every attempt. I even left a message on Linkdn with a Jayco engineering executive and it was funneled back to support.

Support told me I was wasting my time because such an inquiry would always be brought back through support..... they were clear that I could not escalate beyond support.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #31

I have a 2006 Seneca 35GS with Duramax. I'm very pleased with it. It's done what I wanted and more
I pull an enclosed trailer with a racecar all over the eastern half of US. Yes there is things to fix, but this is my 4thMH. All needed things but was least happy with the Four Winds 5000.
I have friends that I race with that pay lots more for their MH and still need repairs. One friend just bought a $650,000 custom built home and within a month was taking it back to the factory. My thinking you either need to be able to fix most things yourself or be independently wealthy and patient while you pay someone to fix everything that happens to it.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #32

Happy with rv

We bought a used 2017 redhawk 23xm in July. Have been camping since Sept. plan to keep camping through the winter covid permitting. We love ours and have not had issues yet.
I saw an earlier blog by somebody who stated that they all have issues so you have to pick one and go with it. Good luck.
HKWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #33

We bought a 2018 Redhawk 22J with 5K miles on it this year and couldn't be happier. Ford E450 with plenty of power, Cummins generator, great floor plan just right for two people.
foreverLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #34

Happy with camper

I am from LSU also to forever LSU. Small world!
Go Tigers.
HKWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_tom1945 View Post
Generally speaking, folks who are happy with their RV don’t post. Folks who are unhappy with their RV can be very vocal. I don’t put much weight in negative comments on RV forums.
So people who have issues or problems are either lying or embellishing them?
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #36

After 4 years, over 40 modifications, improvements, and customizations, and 40,000+ miles through 44 states we have a pretty much perfect for us 2017 16XRB and we like it way more than we ever imagined. It's really great for septuagenarians with 50 years of tent camping experience.

It was not perfect out of the factory but Jayco and Terrytown RV were very good at fixing a half dozen or so substantial problems mostly due to sloppy workmanship.

Upgrading to ST215/14 Endurance tires and 2400# professional springs and suspension from excellent spring shops significantly increased the capability and reliability of the unit. I constantly scrutinize every element of the trailer and make improvements as needed or desired.

Jayco could have made this trailer as rugged and complete as I have done but they work fast to produce an adequate rig that the owner can make into something actually complete, good and reliable.

This is my last RV. We all really like it; I, my wife, and our old hound who can't wait at every camp for the tent to go up so he can get in a good nap after a day's travel.

You won't get perfection in a new RV, but you can make it as perfect as you wish. I'd certainly consider Jayco again if I were to purchase a new RV.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #37

Looks like you opened up an old can of worms.Good luck with your choice as I've been lucky with mine for 5 years . 2016 jayfeather 23rbm.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #38

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! BEST THING WE EVER DID. BOUGHT OUR 2016 Seneca 37FS in October, 2015. 5 years and 80,000 miles later, I'd do it all again exactly the same. Love the life!

Smooth Sailing, Ric Golding
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
So people who have issues or problems are either lying or embellishing them?

I don't think he meant it that way. If he did, I'd be happy to show him the invoices for repairs.

Our generator blew itself up. That was expensive - $3200. But I'll also grant that it's extremely rare. I just got lucky I guess.

Our Roof AC unit died. $800. Also fairly rare. Just my luck again.

On the flip side - other's have had their water heaters die where ours hasn't - so far.
Same story with the 'fridge, the slide, the leveling jacks...

Jayco didn't make the generator - that's on Cummins Onan.
Jayco didn't make the AC unit - that's Airxcel / Coleman.

On a 2016 31FK.

So far the bracket holding my leveling jack pump hasn't broken off.
So far the Ford part of the equation has been pretty good.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #40

2017 Northpoint 37BHFS. Purchased it in 8/16. Had a few issues with it, nothing a little search on this forum couldnt fix. Did some improvement repairs myself without forum help.
Examples;
Residential fridge didnt work on battery power. Incorrectly connected wire.
Poor heat to the rear bunk. Corrected some poorly installed duct plenum issues by the furnace.
A/C units worked fine but made cooling improvements from threads found here.
Front right jack catastrophic failure. Bought a new one from etrailer and installed it myself
HUGE improvement in braking by installing electric/hydraulic disc brakes
Awning,... dealer has adjusted it a couple times and still fighting the issue of it not wanting to close fully
Rear bunk/outdoor kitchen slide didnt want to open or close correctly. I forced it in manually and it's been fine ever since and that was 3 years ago.
That's about it for the most part and I would say overall I'm pretty happy with my unit. If I wasn't I would not have installed the disc brakes this past spring.
We do have one other issue and that's the suspension recall. We currently don't have any issues with ours but the safety recall says ours needs a full suspension replacement. I'd rather do that work myself because I'm too anal about things and don't trust rv service techs, but..
I tend to hear more bad stories about the newer units that have come out in the last year or two and I dont think I'd take that chance on doing a newer unit "upgrade". So far I think I've faired up pretty well on my unit so I'm keeping what I got and staying happy with it.