Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2022, 03:13 PM   #1

Jensen radio

Hi Jayco friends
I'm a newbie full time in my 2015 Greyhawk recently my radio/camera quit working and now going to order new radio to have installed just wondering if I should order same radio or is there one that has the new updates to the maps that will be compatible?

Thank you
Gina714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #2

Gina - your best bet might be to just find a Best Buy or other automotive stereo installer near by and talk to them. When I looked, I didn't see anything in my budget that had everything I wanted.

For example - I disconnected the side cameras and only use the rear one.

Or, start here and get an idea of what's out there:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stereos/...BoCho0QAvD_BwE

The size of the unit is called "Double DIN" I think. You could google up some possibilities. But be aware that the wiring harness could be (mostly likely will be) different and need someone that knows how to wire up a new stereo to an existing installation.

Mine is the Jensen JRV215N.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #3

My Jensen went dark a couple of years ago. I replaced it with another Jensen (JRV9000) just for ease of installation. There is much better units out there but I didn't look around enough before my purchase. I still had to rewire the main plug from the 215. Nowadays I would definitely buy a unit with Android Auto to replace the crappy navigation of the Jensen.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:34 PM   #4

Do not buy Jenson for navigation. Mine will just not be accessible. Press the Navigation button and nothing happens. Then a few weeks later it works. I use my portable Garmin for GPS. Much better and I can place it so I can see it.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201822j View Post
Do not buy Jenson for navigation. I use my portable Garmin for GPS. Much better and I can place it so I can see it.
X2
Old 09-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
CAG

Garmin is standard with Kenwood head units. I replaced the POS that was in the dash with a Kenwood that had the setup for the three camera. You really do not need GPS if the new head unit has Apple or Google Play. You can use your phone.

you may want to have a professional shop do the install as the dash of the Greyhawk is a major pain to get off and back on plus Jayco does a very poor job of wiring which means there is a mess of wires behind the head unit. There is also a "switch" behind the radio that handles the switching of cameras. That has to be wired into the new unit. Not difficult.

BTW. I would not buy Jensen and I have had most all of them in one vehicle or another.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

you may want to have a professional shop do the install as the dash of the Greyhawk is a major pain to get off and back on plus Jayco does a very poor job of wiring which means there is a mess of wires behind the head unit. There is also a "switch" behind the radio that handles the switching of cameras. That has to be wired into the new unit. Not difficult
I managed to replace my 215 without pulling the dash completely. I just bent it back far enough to install the new head unit. When I pulled it back I was just hoping it didn't break.

You also have to be aware that you need to disconnect two power sources. One from the chassis and one from house. Otherwise you might end up doing what I did and that was blowing the diode circuit for auto power switching. I discovered it was blown, tried to source the Ford part and had no luck. Ended up hard wiring it to the house.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #8

Bottom line: I've done stereo systems before, when I was younger, slimmer and could contort myself more. But, if/when our Jensen dies, I'm probably going to farm out the install.

About 2x a year, I head out to Crutchfield and the like and survey what the options are for Double DIN headunits.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #9

Here are a couple of prior discussions about the JRV215n... More different perspectives / insight.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oot-78687.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-56136.html
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #10

Depending on your lifestyle, replacing with a unit that only has GPS that is based on pairing with your cell phone may not be a good idea - we spend a lot of time in areas with little to no cell signal, so pairing to our phones would be useless.

I'm in the same boat but for different reasons and am in the process of researching the options. Good luck!
Mjliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjliss View Post
Depending on your lifestyle, replacing with a unit that only has GPS that is based on pairing with your cell phone may not be a good idea - we spend a lot of time in areas with little to no cell signal, so pairing to our phones would be useless.

I'm in the same boat but for different reasons and am in the process of researching the options. Good luck!

So do we, and have both but then we are not driving around the back country with the RV as much as with the Jeep and the cell phone GPS continues to work. It is phone service/radio service that goes away. Additionally I use OnXMaps on the cell and download the maps to the phone.

The solution to back country and cell I have found, when you are parked, is Starlink.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjliss View Post
...we spend a lot of time in areas with little to no cell signal, so pairing to our phones would be useless.
Android Auto doesn't need a cell signal for navigation. Maps can be downloaded to the phone for frequently used routes or areas where you may not have a cell signal.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #13

When my 2015 greyhawk was a year old jayco sent me a 9000 and it was heads and shoulders better than the original
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina714 View Post
Hi Jayco friends
I'm a newbie full time in my 2015 Greyhawk recently my radio/camera quit working and now going to order new radio to have installed just wondering if I should order same radio or is there one that has the new updates to the maps that will be compatible?

Thank you
The thread is a little old, but I thought I'd ask: did you ever pull out the old radio and check the fuse behind the radio? Have you bought a replacement radio, if so, what did you buy?
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #15

I didn’t do the work, the rv place did it under warranty.
I was just saying the jct 9000 worked well for me.
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote