Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Leak at molding transition to cap

This is the second Seneca that I have seen with a leak at this transition molding. Will these moldings try and spring back up on a routine basis? How would you make a permanent repair? For sure I have water coming in.
Attached Thumbnails
65F52B11-48C6-4440-A653-561A8B5C43B4.jpg   5BFD16E0-23D2-48A4-A251-D1201F7E3790.jpg   A0C12E09-0C20-4F5B-9139-41D5BD089B1E.jpg  
Fullcount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Eternabond

Your final picture would worry me the most, it looks like you have quite a bit of water intrusion for the screws to actually be releasing.

That being said, my solution for that seam was Eternabond. I used 4 inch tape along that seam but if I was to do it again I think I would order 6 inch just to give even broader coverage.

I got up on the roof and put that stuff everywhere and have had no roof top intrusions. I even put a strip of it along the top of my awning, experience tells me the tree branches in our provincial parks can do a ton of damage to an awning so that extra 4mm the tape provides are a fantastic peace of mind.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Still have issue

Yesterday when I was on the roof, I placed some duct tape on the area of concern until I could get to the local RV dealership. It rained this morning again, so I went outside to see if the dripping sound had subsided. It did not. I reached out to my dealership to see if they have one of those Seal Tech leak detection blowers. I am guessing I have another issue.

The molding separation is over the drivers side cab, but I am hearing the dripping inside the battery compartment on the passenger side.

Sent some pics to my dealership. Also attached to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Howard_Seneca_DriversCap_AreaOfConcern.jpg   Howard_Seneca_DriversCap_AreaOfDrippingSound.jpg   Howard_Seneca_DriversCap_CorrectiveAction.jpg  
Fullcount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #4

Hi mine was not that bad but this weekend I ran a 6 inch strip of Eternabond tape across entire front seam down to the gutters on each side then sealed all edges with Dicor. I wasn't having any problems but as others have done, decided for some pre-emptive maintanence. I would check and make sure screws are all good then reseal, should hopefully stop your water intrusion. Also sealed all my clearance lights after installing LED bulbs.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcount View Post
This is the second Seneca that I have seen with a leak at this transition molding. Will these moldings try and spring back up on a routine basis? How would you make a permanent repair? For sure I have water coming in.
I could not sleep at night until that was fixed with some Eternabond and Maybe some caulk to fill the cracks before applying.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Personally, I would seal it with Dicor first, then lay Eternabond overtop. But I would be worried about what damage the moisture that had already gotten in has caused...

As for the dripping sound being heard on the opposite side of the rig, water does funny things once it gets in. It's not uncommon for someone to find water on one side of their rig only to find the source many feet away on the other side.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36fk, leak, seneca