Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Mattress Suggestions

Our recent purchase of the 2016 Greyhawk 29MV needs a few modifications. One is the original mattress. It’s hard to purchase a mattress online to fit the short queen and help with back issues. I’ve read a lot of reviews and even stopped at CW nearby but they only have a crib size mattress on display. Any suggestions from the real world would be greatly appreciated.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Our recent purchase of the 2016 Greyhawk 29MV needs a few modifications. One is the original mattress. It’s hard to purchase a mattress online to fit the short queen and help with back issues. I’ve read a lot of reviews and even stopped at CW nearby but they only have a crib size mattress on display. Any suggestions from the real world would be greatly appreciated.
Forgot to mention I did find a few on Overstock to fit the 8” short queen. The style was Select Luxury RV 8” Comes in a box and expands in 24 hours after opened.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Pricy but we love our Sleep Number short queen.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattre...nasty+mattress

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

Many of us bought mattress toppers for our RVs to get a good nights sleep.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Pricy but we love our Sleep Number short queen.
We have had the Sleep Number on our Bus and loved it. Where did you install the pump and electric? The 29MV doesn’t have lots of room underneath.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Looks like a nice choice. I’ll check it out.
Thanks Dona and Don
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I’m not sure the topper will work. I weigh 165lbs and during the night feel like I’m sleeping in a hole. The mattress is sagging on my side of the bed. Maybe we just have a bad mattress.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Jimmy, be careful of advise from people that have a different rig than yours, even me. Best advise I can give is find a local mattress manufacturer and have him cut it to the same size as you have. Two or three more inches in height won't hurt you and probably be way more comfortable. The radius cuts are well worth it when making the bed. You may also fine it affordable and can try it out at the factory.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
I’m not sure the topper will work. I weigh 165lbs and during the night feel like I’m sleeping in a hole. The mattress is sagging on my side of the bed. Maybe we just have a bad mattress.
You could have a bad mattress. There have been lots of folks on this site complaining about their OEM mattress.

We complained about our sagging mattress and, under warranty, the dealer strengthened the bed platform. It did help the sag, but didn't solve the whole (no pun intended) problem. It took a mattress topper for us to get a good night's sleep. It was a lower-cost option than a new mattress (and the dealer/Jayco balked at that).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
You could have a bad mattress. There have been lots of folks on this site complaining about their OEM mattress.

We complained about our sagging mattress and, under warranty, the dealer strengthened the bed platform. It did help the sag, but didn't solve the whole (no pun intended) problem. It took a mattress topper for us to get a good night's sleep. It was a lower-cost option than a new mattress (and the dealer/Jayco balked at that).
Thanks for that info. When we get home I am going to cut and install a new bed platform. I did notice the thin plywood and thought it may be sagging. It’s right over the recess for the water pump where I sleep. Poor design to say the least. I like the coach so it’s worth the effort to resolve the small issues. Jimmyd
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs A Class View Post
Jimmy, be careful of advise from people that have a different rig than yours, even me. Best advise I can give is find a local mattress manufacturer and have him cut it to the same size as you have. Two or three more inches in height won't hurt you and probably be way more comfortable. The radius cuts are well worth it when making the bed. You may also fine it affordable and can try it out at the factory.
Thanks Bob I will search manufactures in our general area. Nothing is close to our home up here in Eastpoint, Fl. Heck the nearest Walmart is 50 miles away. Lots of drive time but well worth the beauty. Safe travels, Jimmyd
Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #13

Bed in a box

We started year three in our rig with back pain that was quickly attributed to the horrible OEM mattress on our Greyhawk. We shopped around a bit and were struggling with the prices to find a Queen Short anywhere, they really are unique to the RV industry and therefore a very shortrun (read expensive) item.

Our solution was to go with a Bed in a Box. We found a full length Queen mattress on sale at Walmart from Zinus. I think we paid $160 for it. We set it up in our RV for one night to let it expand fully and then went to work. We opened up the stitching and cut 6 inches off of it. The cut was very easy using an electric bread knife. Then we stitched it back up again. All in it took the two of us about an hour to get the job done.

We have slept on it about 18 days since and it has been glorious. Neither of us has experienced any pain since switching to it. So much so that I would like to replace our home mattress with one. We have a three week trip coming up in August that will be the real test and if it goes as I expect... Back to Walmart for a new home mattress.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #14

Jimmy...try AB Lifestyles. They are in Colorado and do all kinds of RV custom bedding and mattress stuff.

We bought sheets from them but they also sell mattresses...very high quality and fit correctly!

ablifestyles.net

We just added a good 4" topper to our Jayco mattress and have had good luck sp far. Sleeps great! AB Lifestyles sells short queen mattress pads also.
Attached Thumbnails
094A6A6B-A1D0-4D74-9024-8DE0FB12D035.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
We just picked up a short queen mattress topper from CW and am very happy with it. The one we were using was a 4" memory foam with a minimally padded mattress cover that made me feel like I couldn't move once in bed. I do not like most memory foam as they sort of lock you in place.

The one from CW was only 2" but it was covered with a nice, fluffy stuffed 'down like' cover that for me at least, is the best of both worlds. I can turn over without having to haul myself out of the memory foam indentation and it is easier to get out of bed now. It was $189 for Good Sam's members but when we looked at Kohl's, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. they were at least that much or more and would never fit the short queen.

I would at least try a topper before buying a new custom mattress, but as they say, YMMV!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #16

We researched this extensively when replacing our too big residential king with a queen. The Sleep Number sets were not firm enough, ridiculously expensive, and require active pumps to maintain. We finally went with a bed in a box (TuLo) from Mattress Firm and love it. With most of these types of beds, you can use an electric knife to carve it to fit any configuration/length/width.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Wanted to get that, but the stock one sunk in the middle, so no matter what we put in there it didn't help.

Went with a Dreamfoam mattress: Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress

Relatively cheap and doesn't sag in the middle - ~$280
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #18

We started out with a 4" topper on the Denver in our TT. After a few years, the mattress began collapsing, so even with the topper, we could feel the ply wood. In all fairness, it DID work well for quite a while, but I knew it was just a stop-gap.

I picked up a Zinus 10" foam mattress from Amazon of the correct size and haven't looked back. In fact, we reconfigured several rooms in our S&B home and I used Zinus foam units for all of those beds.

When we traded the TT in on the MH, I kept the foam mattress at home on the day we went to do the trade. Took the new mattress from the MH, put it in the TT I was trading in and dropped my Zinus back in the MH when I got it home. It was funny, the salesman came over during my PDI on the new unit and asked where was the mattress for the trailer, I pointed to the one in the MH and said "it's right here!"

I've never really needed the radius cut, so I just made sure I had the appropriate length so it's "plug & play".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #19

Quote:
We have had the Sleep Number on our Bus and loved it. Where did you install the pump and electric? The 29MV doesn’t have lots of room underneath.
That is a bit of a sore subject with my wife, LOL. I planned on installing it in the storage under the bed and running the hose up through a hole. Since I haven’t felt like running electric into the compartment the compressor has spent two years sitting on the side table next to our bed, right next to an outlet, on my wife’s side of the bed. 😳

Luckily, our side tables are pretty large so it really isn’t a problem.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #20

Wow lots of great suggestions. I’m going to look at all the options. We are headed home tomorrow and will first rebuild the top bed platform. It is definitely sinking where I sleep. Guess my 165lb frame is too heavy for 1/4” plywood.
I’ve already drilled 4 large holes under the bed and backed it with screening to allow the electric boxes to vent into the outside compartment. I also insulted the top area above that cargo cabinet in hope of saving some AC.
Lots more to do in the coming weeks. Thanks again to everyone for the mattress suggestions. Jimmyd