Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Melbourne and a Lithium House Battery Upgrade

I have a 2016 Melbourne 24K and I am looking to drop in a lithium battery as my house battery is dead. Hopefully, the converter has a lithium switch, otherwise, I need to upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics' lithium capable version. That said...

How do you handle starting the generator with lithium batteries? Most of the lithium batteries I am looking at are 100 amps. My diesel generator's max starting amps is 250 amps - when cold I assume. Do you start the generator with the chassis engine running? I can smell a warrenty issue here.

I have not been able to figure out what is going on when the engine is running and when running what is charging the house battery. Does the alternator charge the house battery when the engine is running? If it does, will the lithium battery kill the alternator? Lithium will accept whatever you can supply in terms of charge current up to the BMS limit, which is 100 amps at the batteries that I am looking at. What is the converter doing when the engine is running? My last concern is mixing lithium house with Sprinter battery type.
krmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

I talked to the folks at RELiON. They have a high performance 100 amp hour battery that will do the job. It did not appear in their default RV list of batteries but they said it would do the job. The specifications are here: https://relionbattery.com/products/lithium/rb100-hp

My power converter is a Progressive Dynamics PD4060K, which has a lithium switch according to its website https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...specifications.

They only question remaining is what about the alternator? Am I going the burn it up charging the lithium battery? It would be nice to know the relay logic for the keeping the batteries safe from stupid.
krmorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, melbourne 24k