Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

More than Perturbed with Greyhawk ride/handling!

I'm sitting here in the Texas Motor Speedway campground after four days of driving down from central PA. I gotta tell ya, I've just HAD IT with the way my 2016 Greyhawk 29MV rides and handles. It only has 17,000 miles on it.

So far, I have:
  • Front end aligned with bushings added for caster adjustment
  • Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
  • Helwig larger diameter front sway bar
  • Adjusted rear helper springs to 2" gap
It's bad enough that I get pushed by large trucks as they pass... sometimes it's even by pickup trucks...

And every expansion joint, small pothole, and bridge transition results in large 'crash' noises...

But the steering wheel... how can I describe what it does... I know the alignment is good, the wheels were just balanced, all front end components are tight... but depending on the road surface I feel every little bump in the road in the steering wheel. Most of the time it shimmies just like if a wheel was out of balance. Could the shocks be too harsh? The shocks are the ones Jayco supplied in the JRide Plus package.

I'm at my wits' end with this. I keep throwing money at this thing and I hate to keep doing that.
Does a rear panhard bar really help?
Would going with alternate shocks help? KONI FSD?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

Based on my research, and soon experience (as I already purchased the parts), the rear trac bar (panhard) will eliminate most of the truck pushing motion when passing or being passed so I am hoping for good results, and expecting them. Regarding shocks, most of what I read from others and other websites, the koni's are better for relatively smooth roads and a bit firm for rough roads, and the bilstein's are better for the rougher roads and gives a smoother ride. This feedback is specific for the Class c's, Class A people state the koni's are best all around. I went ahead and purchased the bilsteins to get the better ride when the road isn't all that smooth. I am not sure when I will get these installed though to have a first hand report, hopefully soon. ~CA
Old 06-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #3

KONI's, tire pressures based on CAT scale weights and check loading to be sure not too much weight behind rear axle. If your front axle is light you will be thrown all over the road.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:33 AM   #4

Sorry, you're having such handling problems. Paying what we do for these beasts and then having to wear a diaper to drive them is just wrong!

I think my Sumo bump stops made a big difference for me but I am not sure that will solve what you are feeling in the steering wheel. I plan on adding them to the back next.

We are so challenged by this problem we are thinking of getting a class B but god they are expensive.... after only a year with a class C.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #5

I've had 2 MVs; they have been among the best driving/handling rigs I've ever driven. The floorplan and wheelbase lends itself well to having a front axle weight close to the axle rating.

That said, my rear axle has also always been within a few hundred pounds of the axle rating.

I'd weigh it and see if you're porkier than you think. As per Grumpy, if your rear is especially heavy its going to take weight off the front; no amount of parts or money will solve that problem.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

As I was driving down the road, my arms getting sore, I was thinking about "The Law of Unintended Consequences". Having modified my Mustang a few times too many and having to un-do some changes because of unforeseen behavior, this Law is familiar to me.
What if my steering issue is coming from, or being aggravated by, the Safe-T-Steer springs fighting each other?? I know that sounds odd, and likely not possible, but I've had odd things happen before....

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 06-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #7

I have been very happy with the sumo bump stops as well 2018 Greyhawk 29MV

For us the best top 3 upgrades we have installed to date.

replaced fan belt - so much quieter

Front end alignment and added Sumo springs - took the roll out of the rig

replaced front seats - wife can now drive without a pillow behind her and the passenger seat head rest is not leaning forward any longer

there are many more on my repair list but that the top 3
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #8

If you have the time, stick to secondary roadways such as US Routes. Much more enjoyable driving experience.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #9

Yeah, every time I read these threads I wonder how we got lucky to have a 2016 32 footer that's not a total bear to drive.

Sure, it's no sports car, but it's not diaper inducing.
I wish I knew what they did to ours?
Sorry!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
I have been very happy with the sumo bump stops as well 2018 Greyhawk 29MV

For us the best top 3 upgrades we have installed to date.

replaced fan belt - so much quieter

Front end alignment and added Sumo springs - took the roll out of the rig

replaced front seats - wife can now drive without a pillow behind her and the passenger seat head rest is not leaning forward any longer

there are many more on my repair list but that the top 3
Hope not to side track this discussion- but where did you find seat replacements. After recent 3000 mile trip - got a bit tired of those.
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #11

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs, It has Jayco Ride Plus , Roadmaster steering stabilizer, Roadmaster bigger front sway bar, and bigger rear sway bar. Adjusted Hellwig springs to 3 inches. I also tow a 5,100 lbs. car hauler regularly. It drives as good as my New 2020 Ram truck. I have 18,000 miles and have been from Florida to Canada and back plus many trips to Tennessee and Kentucky mountains. ( yes, I still get a very, very little push from 18 wheelers going 75 mph when I am going 65 mph but still a very comfortable driving experience. This is my #3 class ‘C’ Motorhome and the best driving coach so far.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs, It has Jayco Ride Plus , Roadmaster steering stabilizer, Roadmaster bigger front sway bar, and bigger rear sway bar. Adjusted Hellwig springs to 3 inches. I also tow a 5,100 lbs. car hauler regularly. It drives as good as my New 2020 Ram truck. I have 18,000 miles and have been from Florida to Canada and back plus many trips to Tennessee and Kentucky mountains. ( yes, I still get a very, very little push from 18 wheelers going 75 mph when I am going 65 mph but still a very comfortable driving experience. This is my #3 class ‘C’ Motorhome and the best driving coach so far.

My experience with my 29 MV is much the same as you mentioned. I've been in the eastern and western mountains, super hi-ways, back roads, etc, and my coach drives well. I have the same upgrades, with one exception I added front Sumo springs. they made a big difference in the sway from wind and trucks. Don't purchase the rear Sumo springs they won't fit due to the Helweig helper spring.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Rodpod,

I was thinking of these Timbren's. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ll-description

I don't think they would interfere with the helwig springs as they mount in the upper frame with one bolt as the front sumos do. They also look much easier to install than the sumos.

The customer reviews suggest that a spacer should be used to get full contact between the frame and axle.

What do you think?

Old 06-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
Rodpod,

I was thinking of these Timbren's. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ll-description

I don't think they would interfere with the helwig springs as they mount in the upper frame with one bolt as the front sumos do. They also look much easier to install than the sumos.

The customer reviews suggest that a spacer should be used to get full contact between the frame and axle.

What do you think?

They may work. i would call etrailer they can tell you for sure. They seem very expensive though.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #15

The summos are over $600....

Old 06-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
My experience with my 29 MV is much the same as you mentioned. I've been in the eastern and western mountains, super hi-ways, back roads, etc, and my coach drives well. I have the same upgrades, with one exception I added front Sumo springs. they made a big difference in the sway from wind and trucks. Don't purchase the rear Sumo springs they won't fit due to the Helweig helper spring.
I have the rear sumos on my Redhawk 29xk and they fit just fine. I have the helwig helpers as well . The sumos help alot with the roll factor. I also have a supersteer rear trac bar which is amazing. Just recieved my koni fsd shocks so I have not installed them yet. But with the sumos, safetplus, sway bars and trac bar I can now drive 75 if I wanted with no issues. I can cruise at 70 on the interstate with no driver fatigue at all coming from the rig. Drives wonderfully but still has harsh bumps from the road which I hope the Konis will help with
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #17

bullet6283, have you taken the time to have the front end caster checked? I see you have done everything else. My 2007 Seneca was unstable to drive, you couldn't remove your hands from the steering wheel. I had installed every gadget you have installed and nothing made it better. A truck alignment shop checked the caster and found it was 2.5 degrees (in-spec according to Chevrolet) and I had them increase it to 5 degrees. It was awesome to drive, I could drive down the road and jerk the steering wheel, remove my hands and it would self correct. I couldn't attempt this maneuver before the caster change.
I read about the caster change suggestion here on the Jayco Owners website!
stuts35gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuts35gs View Post
bullet6283, have you taken the time to have the front end caster checked?
I had the front aligned some time ago, but I believe I will have them check it again, with particular attention to increasing caster. Especially as now I have adjusted the rear helpers to 2" and the unit may be sitting a bit higher at the rear.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 06-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
If you have the time, stick to secondary roadways such as US Routes. Much more enjoyable driving experience.
I am the second owner of a Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP.... first owner did some steering and sway upgrades I’ll comment on when I get the particulars.
I agree with tom463219, although not always practical, secondary or US ROUTES are so much more pleasurable to drive! Interstate highways could be harsh!!
jdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #20

Wow!
I must say I am so happy with our 2016 Redhawk 31xl
Bought it with 7500 miles in it in Texas 2019
I’m a Chevy guy but so impressed with the v10 engine and Ford chassis
Now has nearly 20 k miles and the ride is awesome
We have been to the rio grande in Texas and Apache junction Arizona with no mishaps except for my tow dolly tires and wheel bearings
We moved from NH to FL in January and had the rig packed with everything including the kitchen sink and towing a Toyota Yaris
Mileage was still around 10 mpg
Had the bunks loaded as well as the cab over bunks easily to the max
Michelin’s look neatly brand new!
I’m happy and Jayco rocks!
Sorry to hear about your issues but I noticed the my gray has a ****load of storage in the rear compared to the red and maybe it’s making the front end light?
Good luck and let us know what happens!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote