Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #41

I bought my 2017 Jayco Precept (Ford F53, V10) new in Texas. When I moved to Calif. last year I knew I would have to get it smogged before I could register it. The only problem I had (except that the reg fee doubled) was finding a smog station that was set-up for RVs. It seems that a run-of-the-mill smog station doesn't have the equipment/data in their computer to smog an RV. So I asked around and a couple of places gave me name of a local "RV smog station". I took it there and 15 minutes later I had my smog certificate and the VIN was entered in the Calif. database as passed. No problems with DMV after that.

Good luck.

2017 Ford Focus TOAD, BlueOx towbar
tsmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #42
Site Team

Looking at the picture provided by the OP of the ESP California Smog Check - monitor display, the error message indicates to me that the smog check machine can't perform the test because it can't find the test criteria in its Vehicle Lookup Table using the data displayed on the monitor.

Chances are the machine's Vehicle Lookup Table is either out of date or, because the Ford gasoline 7.3 V-8 is such a new engine, it's possible that the engine's smog requirements have not been released in a new table update yet.

I'm not familiar with smog check equipment so I don't know how often the table is updated or whether the update is applied automatically or manually. Another unknown is what information on the screen was obtained from the OBD and what, if any, of the information was entered manually by the operator of the smog check machine.

Anyone who roams this forum is using a computer or a smart device, so I'm sure you've all aware of the importance to have updates applied regularly to your apps, operating system and other software to keep everything up to date.

I would suggest the OP check with the station(s) he used to do the smog check and ask if their software is current with what the manufacturer, ESP, is offering.

Good luck!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Looking at the picture provided by the OP of the ESP California Smog Check - monitor display, the error message indicates to me that the smog check machine can't perform the test because it can't find the test criteria in its Vehicle Lookup Table using the data displayed on the monitor.

Chances are the machine's Vehicle Lookup Table is either out of date or, because the Ford gasoline 7.3 V-8 is such a new engine, it's possible that the engine's smog requirements have not been released in a new table update yet.

I'm not familiar with smog check equipment so I don't know how often the table is updated or whether the update is applied automatically or manually. Another unknown is what information on the screen was obtained from the OBD and what, if any, of the information was entered manually by the operator of the smog check machine.

Anyone who roams this forum is using a computer or a smart device, so I'm sure you've all aware of the importance to have updates applied regularly to your apps, operating system and other software to keep everything up to date.

I would suggest the OP check with the station(s) he used to do the smog check and ask if their software is current with what the manufacturer, ESP, is offering.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your suggestions and advices! Since some gentlemen said pic under hood will be helpful, I added in this post ( I mosaic VIN ).

Some clarification:
- Only reason to buy out of state is b/c dealer in CA are selling at MSRP.
- I know this same kinds of RV had been sold for a while in CA so this new engine should be fine;
- Jayco do have a "Certified For Sale in CA", I also attached in this post;
- Actually it is NOT DMV asked me to go to SMOG referee, it is the smog station guy told me tell DMV about smog referee. DMV folks does not know what they can do, beside of give me a temp perm to drive this RV for 1 month.
- I double checked couple of times the VIN number matches in SMOG, under hood and in the file submit to DMV.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7131.jpg   IMG_7132.jpg   IMG_7133.jpg   Untitled.jpg  
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #44

New York state here, 2018 Greyhawk emission test here every year. problem when first time, VIN did not register as a 2018, but as a 2017 chassis. Wonder if this your issue.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman97 View Post
New York state here, 2018 Greyhawk emission test here every year. problem when first time, VIN did not register as a 2018, but as a 2017 chassis. Wonder if this your issue.
That maybe the thing.
To update everyone on this forum, today I went to a different smog check station and finished the test! The guy at this smog check station really know how to get things done.

- Engine should be 2020 instead of 2021;
- SMOG test station do have issue to connect to OBD2 to collect RPM; he also tried a OBD2 diagnose meter and it also shows failed to communicate with the car. What he did is a clamp cable, to connect to somewhere under the hood to know RPM, which smog test need.
- Eventually it finished! I am ready to go to DMV again for my registration and plate!

Only left another question, Is E450 on Entegra Coach Odyssey not compatible with ODBII?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7140.jpg   IMG_7141.jpg   IMG_7144.jpg  
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #46

Nice!!!!!

Remember him for your Christmas cards and if you need to repeat the test

CONGRATS!!!
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote