Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

[QUOTE=75H;764785 Ya just never know when the last person using that site held the end of their sewer hose up to the bib to rinse it out![/QUOTE]

I do something similar. I turn on the hose bib to flush it, and while the water is coming out, I cup my hand to allow the water to splash up and I wipe/rinse the threads before screwing on my regulator and filter.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #22

Jeff, our 2017 Greyhawk has been great but as you see, the bathroom sink stopper is just that. There is a step in the stopper that should rest on something and allow the stopper to be inserted but allow drainage.
There is nothing in the drain tube to rest on so it’s out or nothing. Life is rough.
Am I missing something?
SecondRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I do something similar. I turn on the hose bib to flush it, and while the water is coming out, I cup my hand to allow the water to splash up and I wipe/rinse the threads before screwing on my regulator and filter.
I carry a carton of Lysol wipes in my fresh water hose tote. I wipe the hose bib good, then let it run and use the “cupped hand” method. Then attach everything.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75H View Post
snip...
BTW....just saw a tip on Getaway Couple (YouTube) and never thought about it, but will now: Put a spray bottle with bleach in your fresh water hose kit. Before connecting, run the water a bit and spray the hose bib. Ya just never know when the last person using that site held the end of their sewer hose up to the bib to rinse it out!
I've been doing this every time we connect. I thought I might be overly cautious until I saw a camper getting ready to leave his site and was rinsing his sewer hose and sewer fittings at the freshwater bib. After seeing that, I'm also cautious about NOT dragging my freshwater hose ends on the ground.

Like LuckyDuck, I have antibacterial wipes I use for my hands after draining our black tank and handling the sewer hose etc. and may start using them to wipe the hose bib to avoid carrying a spray bottle of bleach solution.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I've been doing this every time we connect. I thought I might be overly cautious until I saw a camper getting ready to leave his site and was rinsing his sewer hose and sewer fittings at the freshwater bib. After seeing that, I'm also cautious about NOT dragging my freshwater hose ends on the ground.

Like LuckyDuck, I have antibacterial wipes I use for my hands after draining our black tank and handling the sewer hose etc. and may start using them to wipe the hose bib to avoid carrying a spray bottle of bleach solution.
I also buy a box of nitrile gloves from HF when they’re on sale (5 cents each) and keep them with the TT. Work great for handling the slinky etc. just pitch ‘em when you’re done.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #26
75H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I carry a carton of Lysol wipes in my fresh water hose tote. I wipe the hose bib good, then let it run and use the “cupped hand” method. Then attach everything.
Spray bleach solution was my idea (video just suggested sanitizing) but I like those heavy duty wipes, and combining them with HF gloves which I already wear & running the bib water a bit sounds like a great procedure.

So careful to use bottled water for most intake, just can't believe I hadn't heard or thought of this before.....never too old to learn.
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #27

Love the Ammo can idea. I have been keeping my 90 in a zip lock but it gets in the way. I have a plastic bin for all my spare parts, hoses and junk. We are on the road now but that's one of my mods when I get home .....thks.
2017 195rb
Toyota Tacoma crew cab 4wd w/ tow pkg
Wife and Gracie the wonder dog
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #28

Newbie question how long for storage

Newbie here with a question of when to clean and dump if tank is not full but doing short shake down trips with several weeks between. We just got out TT and will be doing an overnighted as a shake down and then a few weeks later will be going out for about a week.
Do I need to clean out tank or is it OK to leave for the several weeks until next trip and closer to being filled?
Brent Palm Harbor FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:02 AM   #29

Personally, I would use the black tank flush to fill it. Yes, I am aware it says not to. However, if you have two people, have one watch the gauges. Once it hit 2/3rds, pull it. I also do this when I am emptying full tanks. I put a cheap water regulator in line as too much pressure can wreck the one way valve that's installed on the flush. Then I use a water meter and pull it when I put 20 gallons have in. I do this 6 or 7 times. You will see that you are still pulling stuff out- toilet paper and waste. And no, I don't do this if there is a line at the dump station.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #30

That all depends on just how full it is and if you can tolerate the smell inside! We dump and fill/rinse/dump a few times whenever we leave a campsite and always try to have some water in the black tank. I dont go as far as the previous poster and do 2/3 full, but try to at least be 1/3 with water. And when we have a few weeks between trips, we also make sure we add one of the treatment pods to help. There are lots of other ideas on where about how to deodorize on here.

But yes, I would dump it and put some fresh water in, even if you just dump some buckets down the toilet.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Palm Harbor FL View Post
Newbie here with a question of when to clean and dump if tank is not full but doing short shake down trips with several weeks between. We just got out TT and will be doing an overnighted as a shake down and then a few weeks later will be going out for about a week.
Do I need to clean out tank or is it OK to leave for the several weeks until next trip and closer to being filled?
I'm with the others on this; don't leave waste in that tank for any amount of time if you don't have to.

Granted, I've done it once or twice, but I try my best NOT to. It just seems that no matter how much I tell the family to do their business BEFORE I dump and flush the tank, someone always ends up having to go... Oh well, such is life...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote