Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

Exclamation New RV Owner --need help

Guys, I'm a brand new RV owners, literally and figuratively. I just bought a Jayco Redhawk SE 27N. I'm about to take it on our maiden voyage. But I'm trying to get it set up to go and the manual is NO help at all. Any idea where I can get help on setting this up for the first time?

Example.. Says to SANITIZE this unit when purchased new, which mine is. but doesn't say how to do it. Which one of these is the FRESH water inlet?

Thx in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
water connections in redhawk.jpg  
markasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Here are several videos to get you started, or leave you with more questions

https://www.google.com/search?ei=F1m...30.AfwbCtMXU20
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new Redhawk and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there will be some owners along soon that will be able to help, but I am not familiar enough with your fresh water system.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #4

Jayco's are always this frustrating

that's actually a question...

The manual states, rotate the water heater bypass valve. I'm assuming it's one of these that I had no reference to in the manual. Can anyone tell me which of the 97 difference configuration I should be setting these to for anyone of the normal scenarios, ie De-Winterizing, Sanitizing, Normal use ??
I really appreciate it
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
water lines under sink.jpg  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markasteele View Post
that's actually a question...

The manual states, rotate the water heater bypass valve. I'm assuming it's one of these that I had no reference to in the manual. Can anyone tell me which of the 97 difference configuration I should be setting these to for anyone of the normal scenarios, ie De-Winterizing, Sanitizing, Normal use ??
I really appreciate it
Mark
There's really only two typical configurations for those 3 valves. As shown in the Winterize position, all three turned by 90 degrees is Normal use. Usually Sanitize would match the Winterize configuration.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Ha, ok. Honestly this is no help .. but I appreciate you responding. This is exactly the issue I've been having with this since I bought it.
Nothing is clear or as expected.

Even with your response, this isn't clear for me.
1. Can you clarify which direction they should to be "open" ?
2. When you say they should all 3 be the same direction, however, from the factory, mine have 2 different settings as you can see?

which direction is to "bypass the water heater?" which is what I'm going for here...

appreciate the help.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

The flow of water (open) matches the handle length of the valve, or when the handle length is perpendicular to the hose it's attached to the valve is closed.
When the two outside valves are open (|) and 'inside' valve is closed (--) that is Normal.
Normal is the exact opposite for all 3 valves from where they are now. They are currently in the Winterize position.

P.S. We have never winterized, we live in lower AZ.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #8

If your trying to bypass the water heater, the upper two valves should be closed, and the middle valve should be open which will force the water into a loop. You would then be able to drain the water heater. Question, in the picture with the master control valves, there should be a sticker there that says Normal, city water, sanitize etc. Is that sticker there? I don't see it. Unless it's above the valves. Mine is below the valves.

There is only one connection for the water and that is the city water fixture on top. Then the valves direct it to where you want it to go. The fixture below it should be the sanitizing fixture. That's the way it is on my Greyhawk
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Guys, I'm a brand new RV owners, literally and figuratively. I just bought a Jayco Redhawk SE 27N. I'm about to take it on our maiden voyage. But I'm trying to get it set up to go and the manual is NO help at all. Any idea where I can get help on setting this up for the first time?

Example.. Says to SANITIZE this unit when purchased new, which mine is. but doesn't say how to do it. Which one of these is the FRESH water inlet?

Thx in advance.
Your picture didn't display earlier, or we didn't see it.

The top hose connection is for filling the fresh water tank or while connected to a fresh water hookup at a campground. And one of the valves above (cutoff in the picture) should be moved to the one of two positions as needed.
The bottom connection is for flushing the black tank. *You do want to use two different hoses for those purposes, and you should only connect a hose to the black tank flush after opening the black tank drain.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #10

New RV Owner --need help

I have a 29W GreyHawk that has the same configuration as yours. It looks as if the factory did not label your valves. I’m sure yours is the same as mine and you can see the labels in the picture. Also, the top hose inlet is your fresh water or city connection inlet. The bottom one is your black tank flush. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2346.jpg  
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
i have a 29w greyhawk that has the same configuration as yours. It looks as if the factory did not label your valves. I’m sure yours is the same as mine and you can see the labels in the picture. Also, the top hose inlet is your fresh water or city connection inlet. The bottom one is your black tank flush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	47961
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

The other thing to remember is you are going to have to pull and reverse the screen on the water inlet. This screen will the press against the check valve and allow you to siphon the santizi ng solution into the unit.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #13

thx for the reply. Can you elaborate on what "screen" you are referring to? The manual doesn't reference it and I don't know where to look for it..???
Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #14

Quote:
thx for the reply. Can you elaborate on what "screen" you are referring to? The manual doesn't reference it and I don't know where to look for it..???
The screen is located where you attach the hose. Look in the fitting and you will see a screen. This will be pointing out. Behind this screen is a check valve. This check allows one way water flow. It requires a couple lbs of pressure to open the check. By flipping the screen over it forces the check valve open. When you are winterizing or sanitizing the system you rely on the water pump to pull the antifreeze or sanitizing solution into the system. While the pump is self priming the added resistance of the check valve can make this process difficult. By reversing the screen it eliminates this added resistance.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #15

[QUOTE=RVermont;737541]The screen is located where you attach the hose. Look in the fitting and you will see a screen. This will be pointing out. Behind this screen is a check valve. This check allows one way water flow. It requires a couple lbs of pressure to open the check. By flipping the screen over it forces the check valve open. When you are winterizing or sanitizing the system you rely on the water pump to pull the antifreeze or sanitizing solution into the system. While the pump is self priming the added resistance of the check valve can make this process difficult. By reversing the screen it eliminates this added resistance. One other sugestion, mark or paint the bottom hose location black to signify that that is the black tank rinse fitting.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Your picture shows that you are missing the valve combination key. Maybe someone will post a picture of yours or the dealer could get you one.

There is no way to guess at it without knowledge of how it's plumbed.

The picture that gprahim posted in post #11 is likely the same as yours. try looking closely at the label over the valves.

Did the dealer just let you drive off without doing a PDI and showing you all these things?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #17

To expand on norty1's last statement...if you just bought this New from a dealer, and someone did not go over every detail with you I would be pretty upset. Although at this point it may be a mute point but I wouldn't visit that dealer again.
Keep digging here and you will most likely find your answer but if not I would assume you could always contact Jayco direct.
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #18

Mark,

The link is an excellent document on winterizing written by one of the Jayco Owners on this site. It is not for your exact model, but it will help a new owner understand some of the nuances of motor homes. If the link doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to send you the thread where it's posted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #19

I hope this might help
Attached Thumbnails
water1.jpg  

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #20

The most important thing to do as a newby to rving is compile checklists. Lists for packing up, hooking up, setting up, breaking down, winterizing, and into and out of storage. You can't have enough checklists. I have different lists for packing for whether it is a short trip with short stay, long trip with extended in place camping, and long trip with multiple short stays. I also have checklist for closing and opening the house when we are gone for more than a few weeks.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote