Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #41

Our Seneca is the first commercial vehicle I have inflated tires on and am blown away the industry has not came up with a better system. All are pretty easy but getting the valve cap off the inner dual is impossible for me if the tire is not in the optimal position. If not I have to get my 12 year old son with skeleton arms to get in between the wheels and the cap off. Once I get the cap off I bought these that make filling very easy. I put this extension on this Milton set up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...DFG7RNDM1SV0YX

I have the Viair compressor that works great. I would like to see if I could use the air from the onboard air tanks to inflate tires if necessary. Has anyone put an air chuck on the on the tanks?
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino View Post
Our Seneca is the first commercial vehicle I have inflated tires on and am blown away the industry has not came up with a better system. All are pretty easy but getting the valve cap off the inner dual is impossible for me if the tire is not in the optimal position. If not I have to get my 12 year old son with skeleton arms to get in between the wheels and the cap off. Once I get the cap off I bought these that make filling very easy. I put this extension on this Milton set?
Suggest you seek a better solution than your son’s arms: take your rig to a truck tire shop and have them install rigid metal valve stem extensions on the inner rears, properly indexed in the center of an outer wheel hole. If you have the big dog Viair kit, you don’t need the Milton accessories you linked. The only accessory I use with the Viair is a clip-on air chuck with digital pressure gauge.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
This my inner dual with a EZTire TMPS and an Alligator valve. Almost flush easy to fill and get a guage on. If you don't know what an Alligator Valve is Google it. They work great, mine have been on for 2 years with no issues.

Mine went in the trash when I experienced two leak downs, one on a steer tire while traveling. Not worth the potential safety risk IMHO. You have to be absolutely certain that the Alligator cap pin is not pressing on the Schrader valve stem when it is fully seated. Also check that the O-ring is not damaged. If you use them, I would unseat each cap when not using them. And that somewhat negates their usefulness.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Mine went in the trash when I experienced two leak downs, one on a steer tire while traveling. Not worth the potential safety risk IMHO. You have to be absolutely certain that the Alligator cap pin is not pressing on the Schrader valve stem when it is fully seated. Also check that the O-ring is not damaged. If you use them, I would unseat each cap when not using them. And that somewhat negates their usefulness.

I haven't lost an once of air in over 11,000 miles and 2 1/2 years.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Our Seneca is the first commercial vehicle I have inflated tires on and am blown away the industry has not came up with a better system. All are pretty easy but getting the valve cap off the inner dual is impossible for me if the tire is not in the optimal position. If not I have to get my 12 year old son with skeleton arms to get in between the wheels and the cap off. Once I get the cap off I bought these that make filling very easy. I put this extension on this Milton set up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...DFG7RNDM1SV0YX

I have the Viair compressor that works great. I would like to see if I could use the air from the onboard air tanks to inflate tires if necessary. Has anyone put an air chuck on the on the tanks?
Rino
Get a piece of 3/8" rubber gas line about 8" long. Insert a pencil in one end to make it stiff then you can slide the other end over the valve cap and turn it off or put it back on. Works like a charm
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #46

Thanks Oma/Opa. Great Idea!!! I will be making that this weekend. Its getting the caps off I was having a problem with. Once those inner caps are off filling is easy with the attachments I got.

Thanks crossing over I will look into those extenders. I do not have the Viair Rv kit. I have a very nice portable Viair compressor for my jeep. It fills up my Jeeps 40" tires very fast when we come out of the rocks or sand. It has no problem bringing the Seneca tires to 110 psi either. This tire system is completely new to me and was very impressed with the quality of the Milton products I bought and will work well for those that have compressors but not the right air chucks to fill them with. I always fill my tires at home with my big compressor and bring the Viair portable and Milton air chuck with me in case I need air on the road. I would like to know if you can add an air supply off the onboard air tanks so I am not bringing two compressors.
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #47

Quote:
I would like to know if you can add an air supply off the onboard air tanks so I am not bringing two compressors.
The answer is ‘yes’ as it is a common feature on Class A DP’s. You could insert a T-fitting in one of your chassis air lines or at an air tank and run a hose from there terminating in a female quick disconnect fitting at a convenient location in a basement locker. I would have this work done professionally since the air system is a safety system. I am not aware of kits for this mod but surely they are out there.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #48

Options: Find a truck tire store, and ask them to install metal valve stem extenders.
Or find a nearby Discount Tire store, and ask them to check the psi. Most do this for free............
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
Compressor

Quote:
The flexible extensions are prone to leakage so check your tire pressures frequently. Get a tire bat and learn how to sound your tires to gauge proper pressure without gauging it. Solid metal stems bolted directly through the rim is the safest way to do it but also requires much more labor to install. I know you want to enjoy your trip so just be mindful that your tire pressures are the second most important safety aspect behind #1 (the driver’s mindset).

As far as an air compressor, invest in the Viair RV kit. It’s all you need and can deliver up to 120 psi on 12V. Keep us posted.
Took your advise and purchased the Viair. Have been looking for a compressor for a while and this is perfect. Thanks
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #50

Ridid Metal Valve Stem Problems

Quote:
Suggest you seek a better solution than your son’s arms: take your rig to a truck tire shop and have them install rigid metal valve stem extensions on the inner rears, properly indexed in the center of an outer wheel hole. If you have the big dog Viair kit, you don’t need the Milton accessories you linked. The only accessory I use with the Viair is a clip-on air chuck with digital pressure gauge.
I took my Precept to a truck shop and had them try to connect rigid valve stems to my inner dual valve stems. Since the valve stems on the inner rims are were angled by the manufacturer to properly aim directly at the access holes in the rims (even when indexed correctly), the mechanic essentially had to bend the stems in the rims with pliars to align them. They got one stem aligned right so it did not leak but not the other stem which leaked very slowly. So I ended up replacing the leaking rigid extender with a steel mesh covered flex-line extender which has not leaked now for three years. So I plan to eventually replace the rigid extender with a flex-line. I think the reason my flex-line extender works well is because I use support brackets that are secured under a hubcap nut which is pretty solid. I also use a rubber grommet to stabilize the flex-line in the rim access hole. See the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
20190417_150355.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #51

I have the same problem removing the caps on my 2018.5 Seneca outside tire. Because the stem points to the inside I can't get my fingers on the cap. The solution on the inner dually sounds like it should work. Ed

Quote:
Thanks Oma/Opa. Great Idea!!! I will be making that this weekend. Its getting the caps off I was having a problem with. Once those inner caps are off filling is easy with the attachments I got.

Thanks crossing over I will look into those extenders. I do not have the Viair Rv kit. I have a very nice portable Viair compressor for my jeep. It fills up my Jeeps 40" tires very fast when we come out of the rocks or sand. It has no problem bringing the Seneca tires to 110 psi either. This tire system is completely new to me and was very impressed with the quality of the Milton products I bought and will work well for those that have compressors but not the right air chucks to fill them with. I always fill my tires at home with my big compressor and bring the Viair portable and Milton air chuck with me in case I need air on the road. I would like to know if you can add an air supply off the onboard air tanks so I am not bringing two compressors.
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #52

Since my inside stems were pointing towards the rim I could not get a straight shot with and air line. I was going to remove the two outside tires to get an extender on but the guy at the tire say he could put a long flat end crow bar on the stem and bend it just enough to screw the extension on. These were stainless steel extensions. I've used those wire braided flexible type and had too man leaks.
Also I bought one of those VIAIR pumps model 460. Sent it back. Could not blow up a beach ball if it had to. I called the factory and they said it was only good for car tires. I would need a 26gal 2HP compressor to inflate truck sized tires. Got my $184 back.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
Since my inside stems were pointing towards the rim I could not get a straight shot with and air line. I was going to remove the two outside tires to get an extender on but the guy at the tire say he could put a long flat end crow bar on the stem and bend it just enough to screw the extension on. These were stainless steel extensions. I've used those wire braided flexible type and had too man leaks.
Also I bought one of those VIAIR pumps model 460. Sent it back. Could not blow up a beach ball if it had to. I called the factory and they said it was only good for car tires. I would need a 26gal 2HP compressor to inflate truck sized tires. Got my $184 back.
I use a VIAIR that I take with me and its worked fine. At home I have a small pancake compressor that goes to 135 PSI (Porter Cable) that I bought along with a few nail guns. It was a refurb and has lasted me about 10 years or so to date. What’s nice about the pancake is that you can dial it down, so I use it to blow out the lines when I winterize.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #54

Tire pressure on side of tire is the MAX COLD pressure to use in the tire. Not the tire bead seating pressure as posted by another poster. Ask me how I know,,,I was a Truck Tire dealer for 20 yrs. Yes it is OK to run the Max Cold pressure in a tire..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #55

Psi

The tire says 100psi. I run 90. I respect your experience. What should be my pressure
Old 08-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #56

Braded Extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
I am surprised you had leaks with your braided extenders. I have been using them for years without any leaks. But then, I made sure I had good supports to keep them from wobbling. I use solid brackets and a rubber grommet in the rim hole.

I had a truck shot try to bend my stems to align them with the rim holes but they were not able to get them correctly aligned and one had a slow leak.
They also had to really use a lot of force bending the stems. I worried about the rubber gaskets inside the rim being pinched.

Attached is a picture of my current braided extenders application...
Attached Thumbnails
20190417_150355.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I am surprised you had leaks with your braided extenders. I have been using them for years without any leaks. But then, I made sure I had good supports to keep them from wobbling. I use solid brackets and a rubber grommet in the rim hole.

I had a truck shot try to bend my stems to align them with the rim holes but they were not able to get them correctly aligned and one had a slow leak.
They also had to really use a lot of force bending the stems. I worried about the rubber gaskets inside the rim being pinched.

Attached is a picture of my current braided extenders application...
I had the RV dealer break the beads and losses and rotate the outer stems then reassemble. Added a solid metal 4 inch extension to the inners with grommets for support. 10 months and over 4000 miles with no problems.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #58

Valve stems

I was concerned with the mechanic putting too much pressure on the stem as he was bending it. But mine were only bent a little and I was the one who screwed the extension on so as not to feel any cross threading. And there wasn't so I feel I'm in good shape.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #59

I found some metal valve extenders by Borg. I know on my 2016 Seneca 37HJ the outside rims are aluminum, but are the inside rims aluminum or are they steel?
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #60

Solid Extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I had the RV dealer break the beads and losses and rotate the outer stems then reassemble. Added a solid metal 4 inch extension to the inners with grommets for support. 10 months and over 4000 miles with no problems.
The mechanic was able to bend one of my stems to accept a solid extender without any leakage. But he couldn't get they other stem bent correctly so I had a slow leak. So I put a flexible mesh extender on that one and it's fine.

Maybe I'll try again next time I need tire work by having the mechanic actually remove the tire to bend the stem since you had success with it.

Tags
air pressure, tire valves, tpms