Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Power Surge protector 30amp

Ok I want to purchase a surge protector. Looked on line for one but not sure which one to buy? Would like some suggestions and if I should buy one that has low voltage protection? Thank you for your help. Just bought a new 2018 Greyhawk 29mv. Have camped for number of years but want to protect my electronics the best way.
__________________

hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 4,680
Many of us have an EMS (Electrical Management System) from Progressive Industries, or from Hughes. They are much more than a simple surge protector, and a bit pricier, but worth every cent.

https://hughesautoformers.com/

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
__________________

__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,583
X2 on the Progressive. I bought a 30 Amp portable (versus hardwire). I think it's a GREAT insurance policy to protect the rig.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-S...TCKJX7669Z99P9
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 223
I use a Progressive EMS on my 2018 Greyhawk it has saved my coach many times,, mainly from low and high voltage at campgrounds. Get the portable model . When we are camping and a lighting storm happens I un plug coach from shore power and fire up generator . I was at a campground and lighting struck a campsite shore power pedestal other side of road and messed up 5 motorhomes. Glad I was un plugged and running generator .
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 215
I have the portable 30A EMS from Progressive as well. It has saved the electrical systems on my 2019 Greyhawk 29MVP several times. It's well worth the money!
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Thank you for the quick reply. I looked at both and they are priced the same. I not worried about the price as much as the quality of surge protector.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Thank you
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Thank you for the help I went with the Hughes surge protector. My wife thought I spent way to much for this but I told her it is cheaper than buying a new TV or microwave, or air-condition unit. Thank you all for the help. Jack
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Thank you for the help I went with the Hughes surge protector. My wife thought I spent way to much for this but I told her it is cheaper than buying a new TV or microwave, or air-condition unit. Thank you all for the help. Jack
Good choice, and a smart decision to go for an EMS. You won't be sorry you bought one.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 233
I’d like to share my experience with Progressive. I mainly camp at state parks, where the power is pretty pristine. However, electrical is a tricky thing and I wanted protection. I bought an external EMS-PT30X. Before I came to that decision I asked around and the folks freaked out over the external, because “some one will steal it.” Since then, I was learned that for many people, 90% of owning an RV is worrying about what people might do and things that might go bad. In my experience, I haven’t had an issue. Could it get stolen? Yep. Do I worry about it? Nope. I use a python cable lock to secure it. I also like the fact that if I find bad power, I can simply go to another site and check it, without having to move my RV. Anyhoo, we camped at a site in north Florida and it rained. A lot. Two straight days. Breaking down, I could hear water sloshing around in the EMS. The rubber grommet at the top failed. I had did the two things that were asked- installed the clear plastic door and kept it in an upright position. I reached out to their warranty department, included the pictures they asked for, and had a new one in a week. I didn’t have to return the old one; they simply asked that I destroy and recycle it. So now, before I plug in, I make sure that nut up top is tight. If I upgrade to a 50A RV, I will buy Progressive again. Good company to deal with.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 233
Also, I’d like to point this out. While I won’t be keeping my Redhawk for a lifetime, I will for sure be keeping it more than two years. Another reason I went with Progressive.

Hughes:
For original purchasers within the continental United States, the Hughes Autoformer (HA) product shall be free of manufacturing defect for a period of two years from date of purchase.In the rare case that a defect is discovered, all parts and labor costs will be covered by HA. Product must be returned to the factory at purchaser’s expense, along with check or money order for return freight (the current amount will be advised). HAF will repair or replace the product at its discretion if it finds it has failed in normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship.


Progressive:
Our Lifetime Warranty covers only Progressive Industries’ workmanship, internal electronics and parts & materials contained within the unit housing. Any and all damage to the outside of the unit is not covered. External damage is typically associated with a poor connection between your RV or our EMS/SSP units and a power cord. The Lifetime Warranty does not cover labor or shipping charges.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
I’d like to share my experience with Progressive. I mainly camp at state parks, where the power is pretty pristine. However, electrical is a tricky thing and I wanted protection. I bought an external EMS-PT30X. Before I came to that decision I asked around and the folks freaked out over the external, because “some one will steal it.” Since then, I was learned that for many people, 90% of owning an RV is worrying about what people might do and things that might go bad. In my experience, I haven’t had an issue. Could it get stolen? Yep. Do I worry about it? Nope. I use a python cable lock to secure it. I also like the fact that if I find bad power, I can simply go to another site and check it, without having to move my RV. Anyhoo, we camped at a site in north Florida and it rained. A lot. Two straight days. Breaking down, I could hear water sloshing around in the EMS. The rubber grommet at the top failed. I had did the two things that were asked- installed the clear plastic door and kept it in an upright position. I reached out to their warranty department, included the pictures they asked for, and had a new one in a week. I didn’t have to return the old one; they simply asked that I destroy and recycle it. So now, before I plug in, I make sure that nut up top is tight. If I upgrade to a 50A RV, I will buy Progressive again. Good company to deal with.
Thank you for your help.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
Member
 
kevin5203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 54
I chose Surge Guard internal hard wired with a remote display mounted near the door. For me, the simpler the better.
__________________
2014 Greyhawk 31DS
2008 Saturn Aura Toad with SMI braking system
kevin5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Thank you for the suggestion.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:18 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greater Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,224
Thumbs up Surge Protector

Hamerjk,

You didn't mention the RV you have, and it's not in your signature, but I guess from a couple of your posts that its big enough to have an A/C, refrigerator, and microwave. If you have a pop-up, then a simple surge protector is fine. But anything more than that, you're better off with the "insurance" that an EMS provides. I think you were smart getting an EMS rather than a simple surge protector. The problem I've run into most in Michigan State Park Campgrounds is NOT power surges, but power drops. Last summer, when both the air temp and humidity were in the 90's, and everyone was running their AC's, my Progressive 30A portable was reading at 19V just before it cut power to my rig. You run an air conditioner too long on that low a voltage and (eventually) it's going to burn up!

Smart Move!
__________________
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Hamerjk,

You didn't mention the RV you have, and it's not in your signature, but I guess from a couple of your posts that its big enough to have an A/C, refrigerator, and microwave. If you have a pop-up, then a simple surge protector is fine. But anything more than that, you're better off with the "insurance" that an EMS provides. I think you were smart getting an EMS rather than a simple surge protector. The problem I've run into most in Michigan State Park Campgrounds is NOT power surges, but power drops. Last summer, when both the air temp and humidity were in the 90's, and everyone was running their AC's, my Progressive 30A portable was reading at 19V just before it cut power to my rig. You run an air conditioner too long on that low a voltage and (eventually) it's going to burn up!

Smart Move!
Thank you sorry I forgot to fill out the profile page. (Newbee) It is a new 2018 Greyhawk 29mv.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greater Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,224
Wow!

Very nice unit! Has a lot of extra electrical stuff, which makes it even more important to go with more than just a surge protector. You made a wise choice on both the rig and the EMS.

Congratulations, and Happy Camping!
__________________
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
hamerjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 132
Thank you
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #19
TOS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Durant
Posts: 25
Thanks all, for the Progressive info....
After reading this thread I decided to get a Progressive unit also.
Found a really nice used one on ebay for $160.
I feel like my camper electrics are safer now and I haven't even plugged it in yet.
__________________
________________________________
2019 Jayco Melbourne 24L, MB/Sprinter
TOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ellabell
Posts: 22
We bought the Power Watch Dog after I saw it reviewed in Motorhome Magazine. It has already saved us a couple of times. The phone app is really easy to use too.
__________________

Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×