Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #21

Well now I see the tiny supplement to the owners manual stating that the engine coolant is yellow after all with a different spec# than the original manual. Go figure. I am a huge fan of generic owners manuals that span across the board with no useful information for the specific model in question. Oh well at least this makes sense.....for now.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
OK people I think I have lost my mind.

The wife wanted a small motorhome. So I put some money down on a Jayco Redhawk 24B.

Now What?

I read up on some of the love and hate on it. Looks like it will work pretty good for just the two of us.

Now I've never had a motorhome (trailers of some kind forever). Do any of you pull a car of some kind? What all do I need and how hard is it to set up? I have a 2019 ford Explorer now will it work for the time being? Any other info would be appreciated.
Looked at etrailer, oh my over $3000 for just the parts.
I have a 2020 Jayco RedHawks 24B AS RETIRE ONE says I can get here and there easy, I stay at state parks , sometimes, private parks, if I really need to go somewhere palm on using UBER or LYFT. I love my RV, it gets way better gas than I read, I get about 12 or more miles to the gallon. My RV un loaded was like 11,500 and I could go up to 14,000, I weighed it and I'm at around 12,300 and I don't travel with tanks full like fresh etc. Its so big for two people with slide out . I love it.
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Full disclosure, after 1 -1/2 years with this 2019 POS I am at my wits end. I have fixed countless issues, likely around 20-30, far more than my trailer. The things that I cannot fix such as my fridge are "normal" to run at 56 degrees. My AC buddy thinks he found the problem in less than a minute, yet repetitive inspections by my trusted local dealer tells me its at 32 and operating normally. It absolutely is not any where near 32 on electric. The slide is a non stop problem despite following all of the correct protocols since day one. Now the rig is losing engine coolant and damned if I can't figure out where it is coming from. I am down an inch in the reservoir. There is no sign of a leak at the cap, any of the hoses, or the water pump that I can see and nothing on the ground. The smell of coolant is all of a sudden terrible when near the coach and under the hood when warm. I have not driven it long enough to see the temp gauge rise more than at about 60% and that is where it stays at idle as well so I suspect that the leak is small at the moment. I am sure that I will manage to get stranded this weekend though. According to my manual I need ford orange coolant but I can't see that as possible. I am not a Ford guy but my GM dexcool is orange. My Ford RV coolant is bright yellow. Now I don't even know what to buy to carry with me on the last few short trips before I spend the entire off season driving this turd to Lord knows where to have it inspected. I hope they are more qualified than my local dealer was with my fridge. I should never have sold my trailer. This purchase was not a blessing, it was garbage pure and simple. Any help on the antifreeze would be much appreciated in the mean time.

I would try another authorized service canter or bring it to Jayco.

As far as the antifreeze leak. Have you had it pressure tested? If it test good cold, but when it heats up you smell antifreeze then obviously there’s a leak, possibly head gasket or freeze out plug, or something simple as a clamp, it may be just enough to smell while it’s burning off while hot and not visible. Have you taken it in to Ford?

If dealer is checking your fridge while it’s empty, of course is going to be much colder. Try adding circulation fans over the refrigerator fins and an exhaust fan at the roof exhaust cover. I did and it’s been a big improvement, but these absorption refrigerators just plain old suck! But it is nice to not require hookups to run fridge. If we keep ours I’m considering switching to the new 12V compressor type.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #24

One way to experience towing a vehicle is to rent a tow dolly from Uhaul and tow your vehicle home from the dealership. I bought my rig in Las Vegas and towed my car back to Southern California. We since have acquired a used 2011 Jeep Liberty which we flat tow. I scoured the internet for a good deal on a tow bar. Had the baseplate installed and away we went. I bought the NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the incorporated braking system. I have about $2600 invested and had all the work done by pros.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #25
VKC

Great idea. Thanks
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #26

I would also check to make sure if your vehicle can be towed on a tow dolly. If it is rear wheel drive it may have to be towed backwards, whereas a front wheel drive would be towed with the front wheels on the tow dolly. I would hate to see you destroy something in your drivetrain if it were towed incorrectly.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork in the road View Post
I would also check to make sure if your vehicle can be towed on a tow dolly. If it is rear wheel drive it may have to be towed backwards, whereas a front wheel drive would be towed with the front wheels on the tow dolly. I would hate to see you destroy something in your drivetrain if it were towed incorrectly.

I have an issue with that too. Wifey keeps asking if we should tow one of our vehicles, just in case. Unfortunately, out of the three of them, none can be flat towed or dolly towed. They would all need to go on a trailer.... not going to deal with that... and not going to buy another vehicle for the rare occasion we need to tow one. Will just rent a car in that situation.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #28

As long as you are getting out there and using your rig is all that matters. The 24B is nimble enough to drive around as well. It really is a great floor plan. It provides ample space while providing the ability to use it to go check out the sites provided you don’t mind breaking camp each time you want to leave.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #29

I agree that flat towing its easier but you need to dedicate a car to be towed. With Tow Dollie you have a choice. I made my Dollie to tow our Mini Cooper, Victory motorcycle and kayaks. At the campsite you just push it under your RV for storage.
I guess it all depends on what your needs are.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	63618

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	63619

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	63620

Name:	IMG_5795.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	63621

Name:	IMG_4883.jpg
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	63622
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I guess it all depends on what your needs
I like that very cool setup.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #31

Nice!
Old 09-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I guess it all depends on what your needs are.

Attachment 63621

Looking at that picture, someone needs some levelers.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #33

yes I had to level it 3 times with help from others. That's side was the worse ever but we managed.

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	63629
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #34

One thing i found out if you haven’t yet is to adjust your rear Hellwig helper springs, all of the class c Jayco motorhomes i have looked at come with them not adjusted at all, just installed from manufacturer. Makes a huge difference towing.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #35

Put the Roadmaster Swaybar on. Front (1139-176) Back (1139-147). Also the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. Definitely makes a big difference.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
One thing i found out if you haven’t yet is to adjust your rear Hellwig helper springs, all of the class c Jayco motorhomes i have looked at come with them not adjusted at all, just installed from manufacturer. Makes a huge difference towing.
I did ajust the helper springs some but got tired of cranking. Will get a better tool and work on it again.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #37

Got the Hughes Autoformer and Internal Hardwired Mounting Kit.
Removed the long wire and plug. Put the short pigtail in it's place.
Now I can drop the plug down and use a 30 amp power cord.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
Do you have specs or pictures on how much to adjust the helper springs?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #39

Well my slide continues to mess up on me periodically, however the coolant loss and smell was corrected with a new overflow reservoir cap. I dodged a bullet there. Apparently this is a common theme for many, sometimes every few years FWIW.