Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #21

My previous TT came with a free year of coach-net. I had to use them once and it went smoothly. So for $99 a year I keep them on the payroll
Bstrine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #22

I have Progressive but luckily have not had to use it yet.

2019 Greyhawk 29 MV
usmc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #23

We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We have used them for years on our previous TT and now on our FW. Overall they have been terrific. We are not full-time RVer's and I like that the coverage is not only for the FW but ALL of my cars included the wife and daughter. We have used them for flats, key lock outs, and when we my daughter's car or the TV broke down to get a tow. I really have no complaint.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #24

You might check out FMCA program
https://www.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance
Old 04-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #25

We have GEICO RV and AAA RV. But I’ve heard some AAA service may not touch a Dully tire! I’ve heard great things about couch net !
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #26

We went full Progressive when Liberty Mutual left us stranded with a flat tire on the side of the road. Live and learn.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:53 AM   #27

Add us as another that uses the Progressive insurance. Priced out a number of different plans and policies, they were the cheapest and covered the most. Have never had to use it yet, but nice to know that it is there.

BTW, we also have AAA. Been a member for many years. The extra benefits like free maps, tour books, travel and attraction discounts, etc. more than pay for the basic membership.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #28

As this is in the Class ‘C’ section, has anybody used the included Ford roadside? Ford includes it for 5 years if bought new, not sure about resale under the 5 year mark ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL70 View Post
Does anyone know of a good roadside assistance program. I have a 2020 Melbourne and would like to see what others are using.

Thanks
After a bit of research I went with Good Sam ... seemed best overall
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
As this is in the Class ‘C’ section, has anybody used the included Ford roadside? Ford includes it for 5 years if bought new, not sure about resale under the 5 year mark ...
I’d like to know that too! Did they tow?, refuse anything?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #31

So I finally had the luxury of needing roadside assistance. Sidewall on rear dually split and luckily didn't blow, but rather caused a slow leak (inner sidewall still holding together). I made it to camp as the pressure dropped fine. We had already made it off high speed roads. I had GoodSam and this was the first time I used them. I have the Platinum Complete so I should have everything covered, right? No... read that fine print!

I made the call to Roadside assistance after 5pm local. Since it was considered 'after hours' and not an emergency, they would have someone come out the next morning. Fine, I wasn't going anywhere till the next day anyway. Tire Rescue called me back that night. They handle the tire issues and would have someone out the following morning which was fine. Confirmed tire sizes and also would have them bring two so I can replace both on that side (dually). Guy called and came out the next morning and replaced both tires in the AM. The tires were not balanced as most roadside do not have that type of equipment on the truck. Dispatch was paid for. I had to pay upfront to Tire Rescue for two tires and mounting. I was expected to file a claim to be reimbursed for single tire. Everything seemed easy and straight forward. I took 8 pics of the tire just in case since I paid upfront for the replacement and let the tech take the bad tire when he finished.

Now the learning curve and I hope this helps someone out.

I filed the claim from GoodSam's website and it went through Sonsio. Apparently you need authorization for a tire replacement which is a different number to call than roadside assistance AND you need to keep the bad tire for "inspection". On the 4th page of the Platinum Complete brochure it does say this and in the end it is my fault, but there are 3 sections on roadside assistance/tire replacement in the first 3 pages and it does not mention any of this until another section on page 4. Roadside assistance toll free, Tire Rescue who did the dispatch and the guy who did the replacement didn't mention it. You would think someone may mention the fact you need an administrator approval. The administrator is also not 24x7. So if you go ahead and do the replacement without approval it is within their right to deny coverage.

They also do not cover mounting costs. So I paid 2x+ for each tire ($150 Tire Rack vs $350 what Tire Rescue charged me per tire) and I paid for mounting each ($250 total). I'll get $350 (single tire cost) back out of $1,000 roadside dually tire replacement and I still need to take it somewhere to have the tires balanced. Had I known it was going to be so expensive I would have called around town and seen if someone could do it. There's a decent chance someone could have.. Since I had one good tire I could have also limped to garage. I expected it to cost more than going to a garage, but not 3x and I also thought I had insurance to cover 1/2 of it..

If I had to do it again, I'd either limp to a tire shop or replace the single failed tire and go to a shop for the 2nd and balancing.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #32

ugh - thanks for sharing your experience
Old 06-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #33

Mine has a spare, do newer units have spare tires? If not, I would consider getting one. ~CA
Old 06-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #34

I have a spare tire for the front, but not the back. Even then, it's just a tire. I have a rim in my Amazon list, but never pulled the trigger.

It's a risk/reward and everyone's size is probably a little different. Now knowing how the system works, if I just replaced one tire I'd be out $155 (mounting costs). If I did carry mounted spares for front and rear it would cost perhaps $200 each (tire, mount, balance). Then replacing the tires every 5 years for $400. Opposite side is $125/yr for the 'Platinum Plan' (guessing, not sure what % off I had when I signed up) and paying mounting costs. Course it has many other benefits, but who knows how much till you try to use them.

I'm not sure which way I'd go. Lots of factors to consider. Can I lift the RV to replace the tire? Do I have cell service where I am stuck? Is it after hours or a holiday? How long will it actually take someone if I am remote.. Can I use a tire plug set I carry for nails, holes, etc. So many things for each to consider and what the person is capable of.

The biggest part I wanted to pass along is my experience so everyone knows what to expect and do so they don't make uninformed decisions like I did that end up costing them much more than they need to.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #35

Lots of thoughts for sure, my spare fits front or rear and my thought is that if I couldn't change it then I would just call for an independent roadside assistance provider and have the spare put on, then I would stop by a tire retailer shortly afterwards. If I was somewhere without cell service, then I would for sure change it myself as I carry the necessary tools to do so, or I would plug it if I could as you mentioned... or maybe see if a hill was nearby and go there and see if I can get cell service. ~CA
Old 06-28-2022, 08:30 PM   #36

We have progressive since getting screwed by liberty mutual. Ended up with a flat tire and when we called they said they do not provide roadside assistance for RVs. I was like say what? They have bare bones protection so we ended up trying to figure it ourselves until a good samaritan from Acadia Natl Park named John came up behind us and helped us out with the flat tire. I was livid. Thats when I read about progressives policy and called. She went on and on about what they cover. That is when we switched. Have not left them since signing on. Might want to check them out. Except home owners we are fully insured with them. As for home owners that is another matter. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote