Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

RVing without a spare Sail switch

I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R. I’m looking to carry a spare sail switch for my furnace, as I’ve heard they tend to go bad. We travel through cold weather, so I guess you can say we winter camp. I do not know what type of furnace I have, and right now my rig is in storage until the end of October and is not readily accessible. Does anyone out there know what furnace I have? Or better yet the exact part number of the sail switch?

Thanks
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

It would be helpful if you had the numbers off the furnace. I've never had a sail switch fail in 20+ years of RV'ing. I have had the gas valve go bad as well as the igniter. Trying to carry spare parts is an exercise in futility...the thing that will fail next probably won't be in you collection of spare parts. Amazon Prime is my Go-To source of spare parts....

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
CAG

+2 on Amazon or any of the vendors that sell RV parts for that matter. To many spare parts and not enough room.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #4

No matter what you have in the way of spare parts, you will never have the item you need when something fails. This must be written some where.

A sail switch consists of a piece of metal that pivots with air flow actuating a little switch. The only time I had a problem with this arrangement in 30+ years was with my son's furnace. The blower was moving the sail (metal) but the switch was basically stuck.

Good old WD40 freed up the switch plunger and the problem was solved. It had just gotten gummed up a bit.

Rather than carrying spare parts, I would recommend taking a peek at your sail switch just so you know how it works. Carry WD40 which is great for many things. Odds are if the switch is not functioning it is not because the switch contacts are bad. You could have something preventing the metal sail from moving.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

I have owned 3 large fifth wheels since 2001. Never had a problem with any of the furnaces in any of them. If I had a spare, I probably could not find it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #6

What's a sail switch

I replaced the brain in my furnace on my 2019 Entegra 25r, same as yer 25r

Can link it if that's what u mean
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
No matter what you have in the way of spare parts, you will never have the item you need when something fails. This must be written some where.
It is indeed written. The opposite is also written in the same place. If you have one, you'll never need it, until three days after you throw it away.

Murphy's Law

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R. I’m looking to carry a spare sail switch for my furnace, as I’ve heard they tend to go bad. We travel through cold weather, so I guess you can say we winter camp. I do not know what type of furnace I have, and right now my rig is in storage until the end of October and is not readily accessible. Does anyone out there know what furnace I have? Or better yet the exact part number of the sail switch?

Thanks
if you bought something that fails often in an RV you would have 2 RV's. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #9

[I have replaced the sail switch in our 2018 Greyhawk . I bought it on Amazon easy to change. I fond mostly they get dirty lots of lint and stuff get stuck on the switch, I cleaned it a couple of times and rep[laced it once. Reminds me i should buy another...lol

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
What's a sail switch
Usually just a very simple switch that's operated by a broad metal or plastic paddle. It's mounted such that the airflow from the blower will push on the "sail" and operate the switch. That way, the furnace won't operate if there's no airflow, due to the vents being blocked, or maybe a blower failure.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #11

I carry an electric heater as a spare backup..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #12

Switch lubricant

"Good old WD40 freed up the switch plunger and the problem was solved. It had just gotten gummed up a bit."

PB-Blaster works better. I've salvaged a lot of switches with the stuff. WD-40 isn't really a lubricant and it doesn't do much for corrosion. The only use I've found for it is removing painter's tape that's dried.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I've never had a sail switch fail in 20+ years of RV'ing.

I have never had issues with a sail switch either in 30 years.......BUT things are not made they way they used to be. Since we bought our 2018 Seneca we have had 2 sail switches go bad and 1 High temp switch. After the first time, I started carrying spares and I was up a 2am in 20° weather changing it, so glad I had spares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

But do believe it when you read over and over of failures especially on brand new units and Dometic has obsoleted the original part number and replaced it with a new "Repair Kit"

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #14

Call Jayco or the dealer with your VIN. Our dealer had all of the parts and serial numbers, So does jayco
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I carry an electric heater as a spare backup..
We carry an electric heater because, if we've got a power hookup, we've already paid for it and we can save the propane for another day.

Plus, a couple of little electric heaters are quieter than the furnace, which sounds like it was made from surplus jet engine parts....

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks
would you have any idea where it is or how to get to it? The complete furnace must come out of the RV.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:

Thanks
The sail switch failed on my 2015 Jay Feather. It looked fine and was clean, and it passed the continuity test. The problem was a design error and the new switch had a longer, thinner sail.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #18

if the fan runs, my emergency fix would be to jumper the SS wires together. the sail switch simply tells the controller that there is sufficient airflow to allow the gas to turn on.

there is still an overheat switch in there too so that if there were no air flow, the excess heat would kick the gas off.

ymmv
dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

Heater Problem

While I have not had a sail switch fail, my over-heat switch tripped. Of course it was snowing at the time and all I knew was that the heater would not start, and my water was starting to freeze. The lesson I learned is find out where that switch is located is now, not when it trips. Thanks to this forum for helping me locate it in about the most inaccessible place they could put it.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
JCM

Quote:

Thanks
I have had 4 motorhomes and used the furnaces extensively in the winter. Never had a sail switch problem - once a weak battery. Also if you don't know what type of a furnace you have you shouldn't attempt any repairs like that - I would suggest a service center if ever needed.
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote